ANNOUNCEMENTS PLATFORM 1 SYDENHAM STATION

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
GLOBAL THINKER

ANNOUNCEMENTS PLATFORM 1 SYDENHAM STATION

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Can anyone else hear the announcements on platform 1?? If you are at the far end of the platform (towards London Bridge) you cannot hear if the the trains are late, cancelled etc. If anyone knows who I can contact at the rail company please let me know. :?: [/b]
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

I've got a meeting with Matt Ball who is the station manager for this line in about two weeks on behalf of the Sydenham Society and I'll make sure to bring up this subject. I'll let you know what he says.
nasaroc

Post by nasaroc »

And sorry, we will also raise this as a question at the upcoming transport liaison meeting (lewisham council and various local transport bodies).
GLOBAL THINKER

ANNOUNCEMENTS SYDENHAM STATION

Post by GLOBAL THINKER »

Thanks Nasaroc - look forward to hearing the outcome of your meeting
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

Thanks for your actions, nasaroc.

Last night the announcements on Platform 1 were coming thru loud and clear - even tho they were apologising that the 5.29 had been cancelled due to lack of drivers!
nasaroc

Loudspeaker announcements on Platform One

Post by nasaroc »

Here is the answer to the question of not being able to hear announcements on Platform One at Sydenham Station, from Matt Ball the station manager:

"Barry Milton asked that we install another speaker at the London end
of platform 1 at Sydenham Station as passengers complain that they cannot hear announcements on the tannoy system at the far end of the platform.Unfortunately the answer is no, as we have been informed by the council it will serve a noise pollution order if we disturb the houses at the Londonend of platform 1. We recommend that passengers remain near the indicator sign on platform 1."

So everyone should stand close to the indicator board and as soon as we see the train approaching the station we then scatter at full speed down the platform. The fastest sprinters get the best seats! In a competitive world, it's only fair, after all. Otherwise, perhaps the solution is to carry a pair of powerful binoculars so you can keep an eye on the indicator board from the top end of the platform!

What's wrong with an extra indicator board - or would that (along with our requests for extra shelters on platform one) hit the profits of the railway companies too hard? Far easier to blame the local council and do nothing.
back_ache

Post by back_ache »

Grrr....

I'm trying to be sympathic to residents, but am failing.

Why do people move in next to somthing long-standing then complain about the nature of that thing? And why do councils back them up rather than point out their silly-ness to them?

whats wrong with

Train related sounds from a train station
pub related noises from a pub
social sounds from a social club

etc, etc, etc....

has the world gone mad?
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Hear! Hear! back_ache. I agree with you. I appreciate it wouldn't do to cause those residents any further distress yet it is fair to say that they do actually live about 20 yards away from a high-speed rail line and as such will a tannoy announcement make any difference to what must already be a noisy place to live?
Whilst on the subject who is responsbile for the verges? I appreciate it's bad form of the commuters to drop their litter (why not wait a few minutes until they board the train)? but why don't the council clean the rubbish up. If I lived there I would be more worried about looking out onto the rubbish than the impact another tannoy.
If the rubbish continues unchecked we will soon have the dubious honour of having a station as 'attractive' as the Brockley station.
sydborn&bred

Re: ANNOUNCEMENTS PLATFORM 1 SYDENHAM STATION

Post by sydborn&bred »

Hi

What some of you do not take into consideration is that the vast majority of residents living in Peakhill Gardens (platform serving London Bridge) moved in long before the train station platform was situated there. The platform used to be situated a lot further along the line - beyond the road bridge infact.

Now I appreciate this is an old thread but my complaint is concentrated on recent times. With the introduction of the East London we now have an imbecile with his own hand held megaphone blurting out where every train is destined and advising everyone to stand behind the yellow line. Now I understand train announcements over the tannoy are a must (after 29years I have become accustomed to), but for this individual to stand there every 3 minutes shouting out at the top of his voice, in what seems to be a power trip of some sort - is very anti social ESPECIALLY with young children sleeping yards away with bedroom windows open due to the hot weather.

This can not be condoned in any way, shape or form. The green trains go to all stations to London Bridge and the orange trains go to all stations to Dalston Junction - its not rocket science. And therefore no need for this pillock to disturb mine, my families or anyone elses sleep any more so than it already is.

What avenue can I take to voice this complaint with the correct person(s)??

Thanks
Willy

Post by Willy »

I agree, this person is totally unnecesary given that we all managed to survive commuting before he turned up. The other thing about this that is stupid is that the yellow line is so far back from the edge of the platform that it makes it impossible to stand behind it when the platform is busy, plus everyone ignores the loud hailer man anyway!
sydborn&bred

Post by sydborn&bred »

Willy I'm glad you agree. He seems to think he is x metres underground conducting passengers on a tube station. I'm about to phone TFL about this.
Likelife

Post by Likelife »

Yes I agree when I'm on the platform its just constant, but TFL wont listen. This is getting silly now - the Overground trains tell you to mind the gap - when there's no gap, but at least its not like stations on the rest of the East London Line the announcements are more louder and horrible sounding.
FHSoc

Post by FHSoc »

The next LOROL (London Overground Rail Operations Ltd) Passenger Group meeting is on 9th September 2010. I will raise this point with them as there have been similar complaints at Forest Hill / Honor Oak.

If you have any other comments regarding ELL service, please contact either Forest Hill or Sydenham Societies.

Richard
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

when is this chap there? I've never seen him and I travel to/from sydenham most days. Is it just a rush hour thing?
sydborn&bred

Post by sydborn&bred »

Ben - from 6am til at least 8am. He's not there when I return from work at 5.30.

Richard - thanks for your support and information.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

The 'stand behind the yellow line' thing is starting to irritate me, especially as it seems they are policing it more.

The platform is just too narrow. If everyone stood behind the yellow line then anyone walking down the platform would have to walk in front of the yellow line which is surely much more dangerous. If you're walking along with your back to an incoming train and move slightly too close to the edge...
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

I totally agree. It's all part of the nanny state. We have managed for years to survive without some idiot shouting out the bl***y obvious without (I believe) any incident. Besides it appears to me that the yellow line is quite arbitrary - it is much further back than at tube stations where the trains enter the stations at much higher speeds.
simon

Post by simon »

This story has made the papers, well Metro.

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/838329-syde ... nts-at-6am

Like the way they've tried to crop the picture of the Lower Sydenham sign and failed miserably.
mummycat

Post by mummycat »

Last edited by mummycat on 18 Jul 2011 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
digime2007

Post by digime2007 »

I thought he was louder this morning than usual.