Advice needed re care homes in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Lois

Advice needed re care homes in Sydenham

Post by Lois »

Just wondered if any members have any experience of any care homes in the area.

My mother now needs 24/7 care and although she lives in Waltham Forest, I would like her in a home closer to me. I am going to visit a few on Thursday.

So far the Kirkdale Care Centre is looking good as it is very close to me and also close to Sydenham Station which means my brother would be able to easily visit too.

Anyone got any info for me?
Lois

Re: Advice needed re care homes in Sydenham

Post by Lois »

Thanks for that one Swagger! I did a search on google and see what you mean!!!

The home I am most considering, Kirkdale Care Centre, is run by Excelcare Holdings and I have searched and there don't seem to be too many damning reports and there are quite a few good ones.

I am concerned however that none of the links on their own web site are working! I managed to find the head office number after a lot of searching and have left a message with my number asking them to explain why this is the case.

Thanks again for your input. I can do with all the help I can get at the moment. We are being pressured by the Social Services to find a home fast and I'm trying to get my flat straight so that it will be safe for my partner when he comes home after a hip replacement operation. We have had buliding work going on and we are currently climbing over boxes! I also run my own business as a driving instructor which has suffered of late and have two allotments that I am not finding enough time for at the moment. Not the best year for me so far.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I hear the one on westwood hill is ok,someone I knew put their mum and dad in there and they seem to be happy .
Lois

Post by Lois »

Is that at the roundabout at the bottom of Westwood Hill? That's the one I'm considering.
Or is it further along Westwood Hill. I live at the very top of Westwood Hill.
Annie

Post by Annie »

I believe its up near the private school,its not the one at the cobbs roundabout I know that much, I hope that helps, only I didnt ask her which one,but I know it was up the hill.
Lois

Post by Lois »

Ok Thanks for that Annie, I will make a point of visiting that one on Thursday too.
Annie

Post by Annie »

Lois,the people I know (not very well I must add) but they are the type of people who wouldnt just stick their parents in any old place,if you know what I mean,good luck with your search,I know it's not easy to know what to do for the best.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Lois

Post by Lois »

Thanks so much again Annie for your input. We are considering a place near me or near my brother who lives in Herts. Pointless for her being where she lived in Waltham Forest with it being a trek for both of us to visit her.

There are no local community forums near him, or at least if there are I haven't been able to find them and I'm pretty good at searching the net.

This has to happen so fast now and I really appreciate any help I can get.
Will visit that one too. On Thursday, working all day tomorrow. Thanks again x
michael

Post by michael »

In case you have not found the Care Quality Commission, it is worth viewing the reports on there.
http://www.cqc.org.uk/search/apachesolr ... _band-SUB5
The homes mentioned above come out well.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Hullo Lois
The home further up on Westwood Hill is called Westwood House. It's very good - I've had personal experience of it as two close relatives stayed there. It's run by the Barchester group and this is its weblink:
http://www.barchester.com
Please PM me if you would like any more information.
Annabel McLaren
stuart

Post by stuart »

My heart goes out to you. Making these lifechanging decisions on behalf of somebody so close is really hard. I'm still going through it too.

First decision is the level of care needed. This breaks down roughly into 'Residential Care' and 'Nursing Care'. The second is much more expensive. It can be difficult to judge when someone is ailing fast. I got it wrong first time. (Kirkdale & Westwood House are mainly the latter).

The second is finance. Its all eye-wateringly expensive. Mulltiplying the weekly figure into (hopefully) years of life is depressing. Presuming she has assets of more than £23,000 then you have to work out how much is available - and I have friends whose parent's assets have been tied up in difficult to sell property - in which case you may be carrying the burden meantime.

I chose to place my mum out of London. For me that was a saving of around 40% in costs for an arguably better level of care (provincial care homes appear to often draw on better qualified staff as being poorly paid is harder in London than elsewhere). It also means it can be sustained longer. It also means, of course I see her less often but I placed her near other relatives who can keep her company.

That may not be an option for you. My recommendation is take time visiting prospective homes. Does everybody sit round sleeping/unstimulated all day or is their a programme of activities and how many participate? Is there one or more care staff watching at all times? Do they engage? Do they look happy too? IMHO a happy carer is the greatest asset. Is the decor fresh? its nice but expensive to have carpets and upholstered armchairs but because accidents do happen if they are not frequently cleaned and replaced the home can quickly have that sickly aroma.

A good home should have the feel of a slickly run hotel or country house. A bit of style and much attention to visible detail. A place yourself would like to live (if you could afford it).

Good Luck,
Stuart