Sydenham Road Community Street Audit

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
AliT

Post by AliT »

"Ian is checking on the distribution of the questionnaire to make sure residents living within a 5 minute walk from the area between Cobbs Corner and Mayow Road have received a leaflet"

We picked up a consultation document at the bookshop because our road hasn't been mailed... I would have thought that Girton Road was well within the qualifying 5 minute walk.
Annie

Post by Annie »

How bout LPG does that count?
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

I've only just had the chance to read this thread in its entirity, but there are some really interesting suggestions.

Personally I think the ideas about removing barriers etc are great - I'm sure there is truth in the suggestion that people drive more carefully when there are no barriers and the space feels more 'owned' by pedestrians rather than the pedestrians being 'penned in'.

Despite the fact that the High Street is a very wide road, there doesn't feel like there is much space, either as a pedestrian or a driver, because there is so much clutter.

I'd like to see everything streamlined, with wider pavements and greater priority for pedestrians.

I like the shops which sell 'wares' on the street as these add character and appeal to the high street - with such a wide road the space can surely be found elsewhere rather than having to force the shops off the street.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I agree with places that sell their stuff on eths street, and cafes with chairs outside would be nice.

CAn someone buy the oldHSBC nearthe station and turn it into a really really great restaurant/bistro thatlooks greatthateveryone talks about...and then someone can buy the old chemists next door and turn it into a great cafe selling home made and local foods at reasonable price (and still retaining the original shop front).

If anyone knows who owns the old chemists,let me know..I'm interested in doing this!
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

Those are fantastic ideas Lee - why don't you contact the town centre manager, Julie Sutch - her email address is: julie.sutch@lewisham.gov.uk and she is based at Sydenham library. She would be able to tell you who owns the old chemists shop.
Ruby

Post by Ruby »

Sydenham has many beautiful buildings on its high street but it seems a shame that so many seem run down and have terrible shops.

I believe it would be a lot nicer to have cafes with seating outside but it depends what sort they are.

If they are like the many that there are now then no thanks!
Sydenham has a shabby and run down feel to it.

There are a few nice looking places but alot of the signs are old and dirty and make the place look trampy.

I have a real issue with what I deem as nasty pound saver shops spreading their ware on the pavements.

Why can't we have shops that are worth going into and make us competitive with other high streets. I have to travel into bromley to do shopping. Beckenham is only down the road and it is beautiful.
They have independent retailers but also have great places like waitrose and marks and spencers.
Their places to eat are superb.

We have a few nice places but as a whole it is rubbish.

I can not understand why the council does not attract major firms such as waitrose, tesco, marks and spencers, whsmiths even a coffee bar to open in sydenham.
This would improve it greatly and would also encourage small businesses to set up in the area as more people would shop in Sydenham.

I need more information on future businesses before I agree with the planned proposals.