Housing - let's just not go there!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Stefan

Re: Housing - let's just not go there!

Post by Stefan »

I just think single occupier are penalised as it is ,lets charge a family 4 times the water rates as well to make it fair then, if you can't afford it dont have one, is that really the route we want to go down
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Stefan
Go on a water meter. Job done

Of course one should pay for water used not this strange idea of rateable value.
Stefan

Post by Stefan »

thats exactly what I am doing at the moment Eagle and everyone should be on one :D
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

There are a huge amount of issues on this subject. In some ways, Planning policy restricts to a large degree housing coming forward at all of any tenure. S.106 obligations and the CIL can only be paid for from the land price as all other costs are pretty much fixed. land owners are then not happy to go ahead at the price derived and the site doesnt get built.

I dont know the exact figure but there are vast amounts of sites in London with Planning permission that never get built due to viability, but the relevant Local Planning Authority will massage the provision stats as they have done their bit in granting the permission and negotiating what for them seems a hugley advantageous planning gain that they never actully see.

The other viabilty issue is the threshold for affordable housing in most Boroughs is 10, therfore over 9 units require % of social housing, many developers avoid this by simply building 9 bigger units for private sale restricting the supply of FTB type property entering the market.

There are also issues in Policy on mix of sixe and type of units that to me are social engineering, but thats another debate.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Dorian wrote:There are a huge amount of issues on this subject.

There are also issues in Policy on mix of sixe and type of units that to me are social engineering, but thats another debate.
I know - and I know you know much more of the details on this than me. It is difficult, but local amenity societies and Local Assemblies should not evade this area.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Under occupancy is an issue: there is a shortage of family homes. More, smaller, houses are an inefficient use of space and are a greater burden on amenities as economies of scale don't come into play.

Not to mention the proven higher incidents of mental health issues amongst those who live alone.

I'm not arguing for overcrowding: I am arguing against single people living alobe in three-bedroom homes

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

bensonby wrote:Under occupancy is an issue: there is a shortage of family homes. More, smaller, houses are an inefficient use of space and are a greater burden on amenities as economies of scale don't come into play.

Not to mention the proven higher incidents of mental health issues amongst those who live alone.

I'm not arguing for overcrowding: I am arguing against single people living alobe in three-bedroom homes

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
We have this problem on Sydenham Hill estate. Single people living in 3 bed flats when they only need a one bed. I know when my two leave I will downsize...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I am assuming the council encourage them to move by charging substancially more for a 3 bedroom flat rather than a 1 bedroom flat.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:I am assuming the council encourage them to move by charging substancially more for a 3 bedroom flat rather than a 1 bedroom flat.
No Eagle, what they actually do is visit your property and say "It's a nice place, I'd live here." Then offer a small incentive to move to a new build one bed flat in the form of £2000 and when the occupier has fulfilled their part of the bargain the council say."Because we have had to make changes to the property which were because of changes you made we wont be paying you squat maw hahaha!." And when you argue that this wasn't the case when the housing officer came to inspect the property??? they back out totally and you are left conned out of your better more comfortable surroundings.

This is a true story btw.
Dorian

Post by Dorian »

mikecg wrote:No Eagle, what they actually do is visit your property and say "It's a nice place, I'd live here." Then offer a small incentive to move to a new build one bed flat in the form of £2000 and when the occupier has fulfilled their part of the bargain the council say."Because we have had to make changes to the property which were because of changes you made we wont be paying you squat maw hahaha!." And when you argue that this wasn't the case when the housing officer came to inspect the property??? they back out totally and you are left conned out of your better more comfortable surroundings.
A rare occasion I concur with mikecg, this is what happens. To make it worse it most often happens with older people that may have raised a family in a 3 bed home, kids have moved on, one of the couple dies and one is left in what is " family accommodation" and are dealt with as mikecg suggests. The Housing officers and Housing Associations call it " DECANTING", yeh they do, nice.
michael

Post by michael »

Tim Lund wrote:It is difficult, but local amenity societies and Local Assemblies should not evade this area.
Who is being evasive?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

michael wrote:
Tim Lund wrote:It is difficult, but local amenity societies and Local Assemblies should not evade this area.
Who is being evasive?
There are of course good reasons for it, but I'm saying local amenity societies and Local Assemblies are both being evasive in not addressing the problem of lack of housing. I don't think they're generally expected to, but if they are to get involved in planning, as envisaged by many of the local meeting attending classes, then I think they ought to, because the two areas are strongly linked.

Further, Lewisham Council says of Local Assemblies
The assembly is your chance to work with councillors and others to shape the future of your neighbourhood
Housing is probably a more pressing matter for most Lewisham citizens than most of the other subjects discussed at Assemblies, and must be part of what is meant by 'your neighbourhood'. So there is something evasive in not having it discussed at Assemblies.

I should say that Michael's earlier response on this thread is at at least the least evasive I have heard.