Doorstep charity collectors

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
mosy

Doorstep charity collectors

Post by mosy »

Strange one today. He said via entryphone that he was working in the area (I thought he said in the alley, so me thinking like a utility worker) with council and police permissions and then the proverbial "Buzz me in". I said "No" (didn't have a clue who he was and why he'd need access) so went to find out. Meanwhile, someone else buzzed him in (dunno what they heard) and I met him on the stairs, a Unicef neck badge with a photo that didn't look anything like him (seriously heavier build). He wasn't threatening in any way so I assume he was a Unicef representative though who knows?

Edit: The face of the person in the photo looked of a seriously heavier build as the caller was slight of build. The caller offered that it didn't look anything like him when I raised the obvious disparity.
Tim Lund

Re: Doorstep charity collectors

Post by Tim Lund »

I just shook my head, and he went away. Could have been because I was still wearing my cycling lycra :D
mosy

Post by mosy »

Probably put the fear of God into the poor chap ;) He asked "You've heard of Unicef?" It did strike me as odd that Unicef would be collecting door to door though.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I had the RSPCA knock this evening...makes a change from British Gas
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

We also had the UNICEF man knock at our door,we only donate by DD we never give money on the doorstep.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

May be the infamous chuggers are trying new tactics.

When they try and talk to me I tell them , why would any sane member of the public give their bank details to a stranger. They have no answer to that.

I agree with Annie I make direct contributions to charity but never give to door callers or street pain in the necks.
FergussonFamily

Post by FergussonFamily »

Yes, I also detest Chuggers who block the pavements, but even more so when they come to your door. I told the last one that I never buy anything on the door step. He replied that he didn't want anything from me. I said, "Yes , you do. You want my bank details and to sign me up for a monthly direct debit." He agreed but was quite insistent. I'm not a rude person but felt like I was closing the door in his face. If I was instead a frail old woman how would you actually get rid of these people?
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I suppose the answer is to have a peep hole and not answer the door to anyone you don't know.bit difficult mind you,my door is all glass!!

Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

FergussonFamily wrote:Yes, I also detest Chuggers who block the pavements, but even more so when they come to your door. I told the last one that I never buy anything on the door step. He replied that he didn't want anything from me. I said, "Yes , you do. You want my bank details and to sign me up for a monthly direct debit." He agreed but was quite insistent. I'm not a rude person but felt like I was closing the door in his face. If I was instead a frail old woman how would you actually get rid of these people?
One can call the Police if one feels threatened and they will not leave.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I just say ''Not interested, thank you,' and close the door even if they are still speaking. It feels rude, but it's just wasting their time to listen with no intention of signing up. Just as you don't have to open your door, you don't have to keep it open.

By the way, has anyone had a quite plausible young man come round saying he is part of a government job creation scheme? He's been round to me twice in the past few months. He doesn't have an id card, just some laminates in a scruffy plastic sleeve so I suspect it's a scam.