SYDENHAM ROAD AND SIGNS

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

SYDENHAM ROAD AND SIGNS

Post by leenewham »

After the Sydenham Assembly a few of us had a chat with the guys who bravely presented the town centre improvements to the room.

They got some stick in the room for the proposed public toilets as many people through they were ugly. Unfortunately the toilets will have to be a self cleaning off the peg solution that comes pre-made.

Adshel make one that isn't too bad and it's certainly nicer than the examples shown.
http://www.adshel.com/content.aspx?ID=4 ... D=0&Page=1

Can anyone find any more?

A few points came up in the chat afterwards such as the types of trees etc and I raised the subject of signs.

Penge has a nice sign in the heart of the town. I think Sydenham should have bespoke ones at either end of the high street (perhaps Kirldale too). I don't think these should have anything to do with Lewisham Council Corporate Guidelines (some councils, especially Labour ones are more precious about their brand guidelines than Coa Cola were!) and should be unique to the area.

I'd suggest running an open competition to see who comes up with the best sign and use this forum to and it's feedback to see which is the most popular, when admin comes back perhaps he will run a poll like he did when I first aired the idea of an identity for Sydenham (I may show the green dragon first stage symbols soonish):

http://sydenham.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... l+sydenham

Marymck also posted a link to some signs for other places:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cameron_se ... 541425717/

DISCUSS:
Micromel

Re: SYDENHAM ROAD AND SIGNS

Post by Micromel »

Toilets are an essential and the ones you found look fine to me.
A Sydenham sign would be great - make it feel like a real place with a heart. The only Sydenham sign I know of is at the top of Weswood Hillbin Lewusham blue and I think it's vile.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Automatic loos are not a bad thing,at least they will be use as loos and not for any other activity? ;0))
But please dont have them opening towards Sydenham road,bit embarrassing when you hang your handbag on the wrong lever and the door opens in mid stream! Heehee.

Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Has anyone been to FH station to see what is on offer? Properly sited the one near FH Station does not look too obtrusive and, being self-cleaning, does seem to be what most would want to use if caught short...
michael

Post by michael »

The beautiful Forest Hill station forecourt, what could be more welcoming to a town centre than the great architecture and careful landscaping in the centre of the Forest Hill conservation area? The toilet fits well in it's context.

Over in posh Pimlico they have a self-cleaning toilet which includes a facility to deal with the problem of street urination, by encouraging it.
The result is a very attractive building which looks perfectly "at home" (according to the company that supplied the toilet).
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Forest HiIl one is the one that was shown at the assembly Pat that seemed to meet a lot of public derision. I have to admit, tucked away I don't have an issue with it.

Miromel, I agree, the Lewisham branded signs for Sydenham and Forest Hill are awful. It seems strange that Bromley are all up for bespoke signs for different areas but LBL are desperate to make them all feel like insignificant places within Lewisham.
michael

Post by michael »

There are bespoke signs for some areas, like the historic 20mph zone in 'Perry Vale North'. Shown with a lovely image of the iconic church that has been converted to residential.
http://goo.gl/maps/NYp2
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Er, you know that's not what I'm talking about Michael.

I'm asking, are we fine with this at either end of the high street:

Because if we aren't, if we don't do something, that is what we will get.
michael

Post by michael »

Of course I agree with you.
It is disappointing that relatively good signage is used for an area that does not need any introduction or identity, while the town centres are left with appalling and inconsistent signage.

Here's my favourite collection of signs and bollards:
http://goo.gl/maps/qpkA
http://goo.gl/maps/54A8
I particularly love the 'Love Lewisham' sign carefully framing the confusing pedestrian signage which itself is 10 foot in the air under a hanging basket. And the historic collections of poles that used to have signs on but don't any more provide the historic context that is essential in a conservation area.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Twopenneth:

I love the idea of bespoke signs bookending Sydenham Road and/or beyond - can't wait to see your dragon design, Lee and would happily lend tangible support for this if there were a way?

Second, I have to ask - and I truly don't mean to sound facetious - but why on earth are public toilets in the high street considered essential!? I find this utterly baffling - if it's about discouraging drunk men from peeing in the street after closing I suppose I can just about see it... although frankly that's the action of someone who clearly isn't prepared to wait, so I hardly think it stands much chance of stopping them.

Other than that, Sydenham high street isn't exactly Oxford Street, with tourists pouring in from all over - surely anyone found shopping there is local? That being the case, can they really not wait until they get home and use their own?! And if so is that not a medical concern? Excuse the cheap pun, but if you can't nip out to Lidl without going for a piddle then perhaps a catheter might be in order!

OK, I'm being flippant with that last bit, but when there are so many areas for scant funds to be directed, it just seems a very odd priority. Joking aside, could someone explain why this is a good/necessary thing? I am genuinely curious.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Are you young?
A public loo is essential,I have no medical condition,however it is common when you get older you need to pee more,In fact,I wont go to a high street without one,I walk to penge an am grateful by the time I get there that they have loos,albeit smelly ones.
Also how about mothers with children? When the child is bursting? What should she do, run home, let her child do it in the street? Or go o a public loo?
No, bring on the Loo I say.

Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Are you young
Er... young-ish, I suppose, though at 39, not as young as I would like to be!

Aaah... right, ok I see. Sorry, I'd foolishly not thought about mothers with children. And although I know age is a factor I hadn't realised how much. It was a genuine question so thank you for an honest answer. Although I guess there are toilets outside the station and at Home Park... but frankly I have such a horror of using public loos that nothing short of a chronic and unstoppable bout of diarrhoea would make me enter one, so clearly I'm biased!

Joe Orton was an enthusiastic advocate of them, of course, but then he was coming at this from a more multi-purpose angle.

That aside, still think the dragon sign is a marvellous idea.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Where are they talking about putting them,have i misunderstood? I thought they were talking about replacing the ones near the station.
Its ok,Hissing Syd, one day you will appreciate the public ones like i do! ;0))

marymck

Post by marymck »

Yes I believe it is the ones near the station that are being replaced. And I agree these are an essential service, especially for the elderly, mothers with young children and pregnant women (though I believe toddlers and pregnant women are allowed to pee in the street, it is a little degrading).

I hope these loos will have handbag hooks! I'm amazed at the number of loos you go into in posh shops and restaurants that don't. I never, ever go back to a restaurant where this has happened, as what happens is some women (rather than risk strangulation by draping handbag round neck) put their handbags on the loo floor. Serving of e-coli with your dessert anyone?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Which is also why I never, ever put my handbag on a table or counter where food is served. You wouldn't put your shoes up there, and if you've ever put your bag down on the ground (or indeed on the floor in a public toilet), it's the same thing.
marymck

Post by marymck »

I'm happy to say my handbag's never touched the ground!

I leave my street shoes at the door as well, when I arrive home or visit friends who have carpets. I didn't do this until I moved to London ... it was all the spitting on pavements that made me think of it.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I also think it wrong when mothers put their small child on the counter/table.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Annie. wrote:Are you young?
A public loo is essential,I have no medical condition,however it is common when you get older you need to pee more,In fact,I wont go to a high street without one,I walk to penge an am grateful by the time I get there that they have loos,albeit smelly ones.
Also how about mothers with children? When the child is bursting? What should she do, run home, let her child do it in the street? Or go o a public loo?
No, bring on the Loo I say.

Agreed! The old public loos on Crystal Palace Parade are sadly long gone. Interesting metamorphosis though...... http://crystalpalacetoilets.blogspot.co ... leted.html
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Really? I wondered where they went? I thought they were in the middle of the road? Or am i thinking of somewhere else.

Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Annie. wrote:Really? I wondered where they went? I thought they were in the middle of the road? Or am i thinking of somewhere else.

They are underground, under the pavement on the opposite side to the bus terminus.