RIP DYLON FACTORY

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

RIP DYLON FACTORY

Post by leenewham »

It appears as if the 1930's Dylon Factory in Lower Sydenham is to be demolished, despite the fact that it's locally listed.

The original planning was refused but the developers contested the listing.

There are some great images on Flikr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/8866197@N0 ... otostream/

They are replacing it with this, which is apparently a building of exceptionally high design quality'.

It will have B1 office accommodation (6,884m2), A1 retail (449m2),
A3 café/restaurant (135m2), D1 crèche (437m2) and 149 residential units (32 one
bedroom, 78 two bedroom, 39 three bedroom) with ancillary associated parking and
private landscaped open space.

It looks like Bromley tried to save it but the developers contested it and were granted permission to knock it down by the planning inspectorate.

I find this sad and worrying.

It's currently boarded up. I expect it will be knocked down and then they will sit on the land for a while, submit another planning application and build some awful crap like they have in that area many times before.

I really liked this building. I feel a bit gutted. Yet no-one has said anything about it, it hasn't been in any newsletters, it doesn't seem to have received any notice at all aside from an earlier post.

I also find this sad and worrying.

Is it to late to save this? Do you think it's a building worth saving? And how on earth can a building like this be granted permission to be knocked down?

Does anyone have any memories of this building?

We don't just need housing, we also need jobs.
leenewham

Re: RIP DYLON FACTORY

Post by leenewham »

michael

Post by michael »

The planning inspectors decision can be read at http://www.derbyshirehistoricbuildings. ... London.pdf

A couple of interesting points:
1. Local listing in this case lost out to the need to preserve Metropolitan Open Land. It was argued that a viable use of the building would not be possible without building on the MOL behind the site. Local listing has no real power in planning law.

2. Once demolition is completed there will be no further requirement to build to 'exceptional high design quality', so Lee is correct in saying that once demolition is completed a new scheme could well be submitted. Which is not as awe inspiring as the current design.

The current design reminds me of some of the finest architecture in the local area, Forest Hill Job Centre:

The one point I would make in favour of this planned development is that Lee has stated 'We don't just need housing, we also need jobs.'
This plan includes B1 office accommodation (6,884m2), A1 retail (449m2),
A3 café/restaurant (135m2), D1 crèche (437m2)
Assuming the developer bothers to fill this space, and doesn't demand excessive rental values (as we see in many new builds such as City Walk in Perry Vale), this will provide local employment for a large number of people. There is no point expecting factory to be built on the site, London's jobs are not in factories but in offices. We should confuse the issue of preserving buildings with preserving jobs, in fact the two are quite likely to be at odds in some cases.

It is a nice 1930s building and it is a shame to see it go. But it is not unique and I don't believe English Heritage have considered listing it, perhaps nobody has asked them to, or perhaps they have, I don't know as EH considers all such decisions outside the public view.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It would also have made some fantastic offices.
pip

Post by pip »

This website might be of interest http://www.dylon.co.uk/home.php
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Why am I not suprised . . . . . sorry to be such an Eeyore . . . . .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeyore
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Even the doorhandles are rather elegant: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mysight/3798456093/

It appears to be such a slice of manufacturing history. Dylons names comes from Dyes of London. I can't believe it wasn't listed. I've been inside it when a furniture company called Trade Secrets ran it and it was pretty well preserved inside.
Labanised

Post by Labanised »

I've never seen this building before but, it makes me think of an episode of The Professionals for some reason (The Dylon Factory not, the Job Centre). I think it looks cool. The building it's going to be replaced with seems rather forgettable and anonymous to me.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I agree great building. U have had the fortune to visit on business about 4 times. Did not see some of the factory but what I did see was amazing.

Someone suggested it would make good offices . I am not sure that would be the case.

Not sure what this building could be used as , although very sad to lose it.

Someone said Bromley refused the devolpers request ,but have been overruled. Councils now adays , who were voted in , have little power . Decisions made by people who were not voted in. That is what I find is very wrong.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Question is, how to make design an issue in development. Neither community interest nor legislation seem to be working.

Perhaps I am thinking of a form of "Social Design" . . . . .
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Thanks to the fantastic Steve Grindley, he has posted some great pictures on his flickr picture of the Dylon Factory.

He also posted this which is the part that was in the centre of Sydenham near Berrymans Lane. Interestingly, this building is still there, although added to and ruined by poor signage and a changed shop front (as per usual). I thought all trace of Dylon had gone from the high street.

It just goes to prove that we can be really bad at converting buildings. I bet Sydenham Road was great in it's day. Bring back the flags!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes I recall the old factory as well. What a shambles it is now.
JT123

Post by JT123 »

This has prompted my first post having been watching the forum for some time. I don't know if there's anything we can do to save the building at this stage, but I have e mailed the Twentieth Century Society with details and I'll let you know if they reply.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

An amazing buidling that, as you said Lee, looks like it could easily be converted to offices and have amazing flats with High Ceilings. The proposed plans look hideous!

JT123 - It would be great to get some action to save the building.

Cheers

G-Man
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

I agree. The replacement looks tragic. It's unpleasant to the eye and ruins the landscape. It's just a big ugly box. :x
harryd

Post by harryd »

This is a shame it is an absolutely fantastic building with incredible character. I worked here for nearly two years for trade secret furniture limited until they moved everything out as it didn't quite go to plan. The place is unbelievably vast, I stop every time I ride past and had a little look in the loading bay through the glass window, furniture still there everything just left as it was. Dylon just upped and left and there was thousands of boxes of dye and product in lighted glass cabinets along one of the creepiest, longest hallways I have ever seen. Surprised no amateur movie makers have busted in and shot a move.
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

I love this building too. It is beautiful. I would love to be able to see inside and take photos. It would be such a shame for it to be knocked down. Is there no way that we can save it? How can it be allowed for a listed building to be demolished? Doesnt make any sense. :x
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely cannot be knocked down . Is it not listed. They do not build like that anymore.
Search East

Post by Search East »

There was an ad for this in the property publication Estates Gazette, on the 10th November, being marketed by one of my clients. This was the text:

Former Dylon Works, Worsley Bridge Road, London SE26 5HD
Opportunity to pre-purchase 149 units in a high quality designed scheme in London
■ Located Immediately adjacent to Lower Sydenham Station (16 mins to London Bridge Station)
■ Best in class unit sizes meaning longer tenures and lower voids
■ “Generous space standards in accordance with the HCA’s Design & Quality Standards 2008” meaning best in class sized units
■ Delivery of units on a turn-key basis ready for let
■ Strong rental location
■ 1 secure underground parking space per unit
■ Detailed Specification available
■ No affordable housing on site
■ Excellent PRS opportunity with opportunity to apply own branding

For Sale
Offers are invited, subject to contract
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

No affordable housing so have can they be sold if not affordable ?

Car parking for each flat a negative. Traffic a nightmare down there.