Cycling on Sydenham's pavements

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Cycling on Sydenham's pavements

Post by Nigel »

Dear all,
I am writing to garner support for what I hope will result in armageddon within reasonable bounds, against those who cycle on the pavements.
From the outset I recognise that cycling is the most important and under-developed mode of transport in the capital and more importantly, Sydenham. I support all forms of traffic calming and think the congestion zone has been a huge success. I believe cycle lanes have a major part to play and I think as a nation we have sacrificed far too much to allow the private car user ( of which I am one) to drive dangerously and dirtily to the next set of lights.
In short I am very much for good manners, clean friendly streets , local trade and and concern for fellow Sydenham residents , particularly for the partially sighted ,the elderly and anyone who does not actually appreciate a 16 stone oaf bearing down on them on a bicycle.

I would be interested in a sharing  of ideas on this topic. I think any effective solution is likely to be a practical one - I don't think human rights type discourse , less still intellectual or legalistic posturing will avail us much - so thinking caps on and let's put an end to this  selfish and unedifying blight .
If I might start the ball rolling , how about photographs of the offender with key additional information e.g. date, location,  description , direction of travel , velocity and demeanour . 
Example: last Saturday, outside Blue Mountain, chubby man with spectacles and blue anorak,heading down, 14 miles per hour , belligerent and faintly dim.  
If we could impose on the Moderator to set up a gallery of some sort we could even share sightings , and maybe shame them into behaving responsibly? In short Armageddon within reasonable bounds.
Good afternoon
Nigel 

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Annie.

Re: Cycling on Sydenham's pavements

Post by Annie. »

A rogues'gallery! Thats a good idea ,but then can we include all the other irritations? Like- yoofs who walk 4 abreast so you have to step into the kerb,or those that spit and dont care where it lands ,or those who want to share their rap music with us, see where i'm going with this- but I do totally understand your annoyance,and would happily sign a petition or whatever to help stop the abuse of our pavenments.

SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

So you're going to be walking around with your camera/phone at the ready at all times just on the off chance someone might be cycling on the pavement? Or are you going to ask them to stop and wait while you rummage around to find your camera/phone and take a snap? How about mounting a camera on your head that constantly records so you can look over the footage when you get home just in case you didn't spot something that annoyed you at the time? :wink:
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

SE26bloke- I take your question in the spirit you no doubt intended it.
Since I upgraded from a 1934 Leica with sulphur flash to an iPhone albeit an iPhone3, I find I can I can arrange the subject, compose the shot, re-check lighting levels , adjust tie or hat, if worn, and ask everyone to hold still , all in less than one minute.

It was just one of what I hope will be many ideas -
To quote Emile Chartier

“Nothing is more dangerous than an idea when it is the only one you have.”
You are clearly in no danger whatsoever on that basis but I welcome your comment anyway.
Good afternoon
Nigel

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Perhaps bikes should have licence plates? So the owner can be traced, perhaps there ould be a bike tax,which could be used for decent bike lanes,I cant see it happening really but I cant think of any other way to old the owner reponsible.I think the road should be seperated from the pavement,ie a small wall say two bricks high with breaks every now and then so people can cross the bike lane. I might even take up riding a bike then!

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Now I'm wondering how often I cycle on pavements ... rarely, apart from the few yards between my house and a convenient drop kerb. I guess sometimes when the carriageway is blocked, or if the condition of the road is really bad, but that's not very often, and I'm always aware that any pedestrians have more right to be there than me.

To get to your suggestion - you could just go ahead at try it - take that photo and post it in this thread. If it will expose you to any legal risk, it will also expose Admin, and he will take it down. It would probably be polite though to check with him first. Check this thread 'Fix My Street drinker' for a related discussion, including a photo I posted of some anti-social behaviour from a car driver. It includes Bensonby's opinion
I certainly don't see how anyone taking a photograph in a public place is infringing anyone's civil liberties: indeed, anyone suggesting that we shouldn't take pictures (or be allowed to) is a greater threat to civil liberties.
Would it actually work to shame people out of such behaviour? I have to think it might, given that I'm saying much the same about the use of shame in tax avoidance. OTOH, I don't think licences and taxing cycles is a very good idea - just too much administration - it won't happen, whereas Nigel or anyone could do their bit of public shaming right now.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

There is a fatal flaw in Nigel's plan. It supposes that these pavement-cycling miscreants read this forum and will therefore see their mug shots in the rogues' gallery. I think the chances are small.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

The naming and shaming and use of photos unless done by the police,could put the person at risk of retribution,from the offender.
The idea of reg plates or something similar to be able to identify the cyclist would be a deterrent,you may not like the idea Tim because you have just stated you sometimes use the pavement yourself,but for those of us who never use the pavement to ride on ( even for a short ride) think something should be done.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

rshdunlop wrote:There is a fatal flaw in Nigel's plan. It supposes that these pavement-cycling miscreants read this forum and will therefore see their mug shots in the rogues' gallery. I think the chances are small.
Small chances indeed, but since it's something people do feel strongly about, it could well get more people looking at this Forum, and the chances that something might eventually get said to said miscreants is not as small as you suggest. This Forum is also watched regularly by reporters from the local press, and if it seemed to have legs here, they could pick it up. The same goes for Lewisham Council - though they would have to be rather more bureaucratic about it.

I could also be a way of helping Nigel get his frustration of his chest :D
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Good luck with this NIgel, fully understand where you are coming from!

I would personally have my doubts. Is it the job of this forum to police this sort of thing?
Possibly it is but 'sorry' I can't be so sure! :?

As a slight deviation (similar example):
I often get quite frustrated at the high level of drivers driving through busy high streets
whilst blatently using their mobile phone, very often quite expressively too! Obviously this
can be very dangerous to all but our busy Police force have had little success in stamping this
out even with the Law fully on their side - So will snapping and shaming have much effect on
any of these issues?

If this is the way forward then what about anti-social behaviour, drunks and as I have said
above 'drivers using mobile phones'? So many other frustrating issues could eventually be included so at the moment my mind boggles at the thought of this. It really could all end up anywhere! :? :?
Strongly suggest:
We would really need to investigate / weigh up the possible consequences before doing this!

Maybe I'm wrong for being cynical. :o :|
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Yes some irresponsible citizens still speak on mobiles whilst driving.
Pointed at one female today but she was so involved with conversation , you know what I mean , that she did not see me.

Also object to people waiting to be served who are doing things with their mobile. They should give 100% attention to the person who has to serve them. Why do they not teach etiquette at schools.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:Yes some irresponsible citizens still speak on mobiles whilst driving.
Pointed at one female today but she was so involved with conversation , you know what I mean , that she did not see me.

Also object to people waiting to be served who are doing things with their mobile. They should give 100% attention to the person who has to serve them. Why do they not teach etiquette at schools.
Glad it's not just me Eagle! :wink:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

What did we all do before mobile phones!

The mobiles have limited speakers,shame the owners don,t :0))

Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I have to agree with Eagle about people being on their mobile while being served. I always put my phone away when being served in a shop, even in the supermarket. Just seems like good manners to me. If for any reason I need to be on my phone, I apologise.

Last edited by Rachael on 24 Jun 2012 18:31, edited 1 time in total.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Why even in the supermarket ? They are humans too.;0))

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said everyone . Unfortunately many of our fellow citizens think their attachment to this peace of equipment is more important than speaking politely to the person kind enough to serve you.

I helped in a charity shop and did create a stir by insisting I serve the next person as I refused to serve someone who was talking on their device.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Annie - yes, I realised after posting that sounded odd! It's rather less personal packing your shopping at the supermarket till than being served face to face in other shops, and so it might seem more acceptable to talk on your phone then, but I wouldn't do that either. That's all I meant.

Last edited by Rachael on 24 Jun 2012 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Whenever I am at a supermarket I always converse with the member of staff.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Although we might knock supermarkets sometimes, at the end of the day many people who work there do so to enable them to bring up families with a decent work ethic, it can be a hard thankless task trying to keep the public happy.

Rshdunlop I knew you meant no harm.

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I saw this today, and was thinking of getting one, and having read this thread, I'm now even more likely to.

I could document my own pavement cycling!