Will you use the new Greyhound Pub?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Annie.

Re: Will you use the new Greyhound Pub?

Post by Annie. »

Depends on what type of dogs they let in ;0)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
JeeBee

Post by JeeBee »

Greyhounds only.

Maybe the Florence brewery is looking to expand. The Paxton in Gypsy Hill is quite nice, and maybe they could do the same for the Greyhound.

Walked past today and I could see the walls were going back up, and a big hole for the conservatory. I do worry that the interior will be rather sterile as (in reality) it's a new build.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

these replies have given me hope!

maybe someone at Antic should be made aware that even though the pub space will be smaller than previously epxected, there are local people who want a decent pub, and would quite like Antic to run it!
mikej

Post by mikej »

I might use the Greyhound, if it is good (whatever that means) but it's a bit of a shelpp for me. Currently rather like the Golden Lion, and also the Dolphin, though it is a bit pricey. Lovely vibe though. Golden Lion seems like a very traditional pub, with lots of original fittings, separate Public/Saloon bars plus, of course the big room at the back for the many very good events they put on there.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I won't use it. My local is the Dulwich Wood House and I rarely go there.
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Yes.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Decent real ale , no music and well behaved clientelle ( usually goes with good real ale and no music )

Great pity about Antic who qualify for all the above. The Sylvan Post is a breath of civilisation in contrast to the establishment over the road
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

I've never been a beer or lager drinker.

This confused many people when I lived in Czech Republic. What you don't drink beer? :shock:
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Just to cross reference the post I made on the Lewisham scraps homes sell off thread picking up a housing consultant suggesting Housing Associations buy a pub and run it as a community/social hub. With Hexagon owning the housing all round it, and Chris Best, with her background as a Housing Association CEO, experience in helping set up Ecocomputers with Housing Association support to run a community hub in Deptford, and long standing interest in created some kind of community hub here, it would not surprise me if something along these lines happened.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Do you know something we dont Tim?

Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

What about it becoming a shared pub and base for the Sydenham SNT (won't be as convenient for the Forest Hill or Perry Vale teams though) - the upstairs rooms could be 'staff' changing rooms or even the local lockup?

Certainly would bring local policing closer to the people they need day to day contact with - and act as a canteen for them etc....

The Met would provide a regular and assured income - something businesses like and the owners wouldn't need to spend as much on security.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

That sounds like a great idea.

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:Do you know something we dont Tim?

No - I am not and never was an insider on this.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I was only teasing,:0)
But it is a good idea,also to have the rooms upstairs for the police would be a great asset.

Gaz

Post by Gaz »

I'm really looking forward to the Greyhound (re)opening. Currently, I tend to drink with mates in Forest Hill (and occasionally CP) where as mentioned above it is easy to pop into (crawl to) the Hob/Capitol/Sylvain/Bird/Forresters etc depending on how you feel on the evening..!

The closest I've managed to get my drinking buddies to come to Syd was to the Bricklayers (and I agree, this is on the up); so hopefully the Greyhound will kickstart some Syd outings or pub-crawls.

Personally, I do pop into the Windmill every now and then on my own. If the Greyhound feels right, I'm sure I'd stop for a quick pint on the way home from the station every now and then (unfortunately, the Fox (my closest pub) just never feels welcoming in there and so I never go - although perhaps it has improved over the last year or so?).
Loobus

Post by Loobus »

Yes I will.