Identity Fraud

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
pupak

Identity Fraud

Post by pupak »

Yesterday I signed for two parcels addressed to my husband. As he left the driver quipped how many phones does your husband have and confirmed that the two packages were mobile phones. About five minutes later there was a call on my landline from a man saying he was from the delivery company and the packages had been sent by mistake. He was checking to see if someone would be in for him to send another courier to pick up the packages. Within another ten minutes there was another man wanting to take the packages away. Not feeling comfortable with the situation I told him to hang on whilst I checked what was going on with my husband. Meanwhile the man saying he was from the delivery company kept calling trying to get me to hand the packages over. I eventually phoned the police. The police turned up very quickly but sadly a minute after the second courier had left.

I thought I’d post so you are aware, as it was quite an elaborate scam. The man on the phone sounded legitimate, as he knew my name, home number and the fact that I had just signed for two parcels and the name of the delivery company that had delivered the parcels.

Sorry for the long post but I also want to thank the police. When I initially called I wasn’t expecting much of a response, as this must sadly be a fairly common experience. However they turned up within ten minutes of me calling and also called back later in the day when they had found out that two phone contracts had been taken out with my husband’s details. So many thanks to the local police and the officer who handled our case.
Rachael

Re: Identity Fraud

Post by Rachael »

I've had a similar experience, except the phones weren't in my name, or anyone in my house. The couriers know me (horrible Internet shopping habit) and noticed that it wasn't our name and pointed it out. He told me it was a mobile phone and if I hadn't ordered it I shouldn't sign for it, as it was probably a scam. So I suppose they see this all the time.

If the scammers had the tracking info for the couriers, they can see online the minute you sign on the electronic pad, so that's probably how your scammers knew you had signed for them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
marymck

Post by marymck »

A couple of months ago I had a call on my landline from a man purporting to be from British Gas. He said our gas and electricity meters were old and needed replacing and this was just a courtesy call to say someone would be coming to do this. Both our meters are inside the house.

I said we needed something in writing, on headed paper, before we would let someone do this.

The man argued very strongly that he couldn't do this. I stood my ground and he said he'd see what he could do and rang off.

Last week my husband had a similar call on his mobile. Same conversation, but this time the man wasn't so pushy and just gave up.

Needless to say no official letters have arrived.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I had a phone call on my landline from Npower about a new meter,saying ours was old now and they needed to replace it,they made a date and turned up and changed the meter to a better looking up to date one.
Was your caller from Npower?

marymck

Post by marymck »

That's intereting Annie. We're not with NPower and I wonder if this is someone trying a scam because they know NPower's replacing meters in the area?

Actually, as it happens we had our meters checked out when the gas main was replaced within the last couple of years, so we know they're fine.

We were especially glad to get them approved as our meters are in a cupboard inside the house and we'd been told that new meters are installed on the outside wall. We're a terraced house in a conservation area, so that wouldn't have been suitable.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Ours is inside under the stairs as well Mary,they put the new one in place of the old,
That is interesting what you said about perhaps scammers know about Npower and are Using it.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Shame their are so many people out there with criminal intent.

I am sure our society not always like that , but perhaps I am wrong.

It is amazing how easily some honest people get conned.
KEVD

Post by KEVD »

Have heard of this before. Have even heard of people waiting outside of someone's house to sign for the packages.

Annie.

Post by Annie. »

It is a shame Eagle,
Even my old mum got conned out of a few hundred,
She was in a sheltered accomodation,another resident there asked if she could lend him a few quid ,she said ok,he then came back for more and more, eventually she said no,
She hadnt told us because she felt " such a fool" as she put it, however we took him to court etc, but he basically got away with it,but unfortunately it destroyed my mum, she had always been such a kind person ,always helped those in need despite not having much herself.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Annie

Must be terrible for your mother as I assume other resident still there and seen often by her.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

This was a while ago Eagle,she has died since then,but she felt ashamed,it certainly knocked her belief in people.