British Gas Home Servicing Scam hits Sydenham?

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Paddy Pantsdown

British Gas Home Servicing Scam hits Sydenham?

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

I was just about to renew my central heating gas service contract. I had difficulty finding the price - it was well hidden and when I did it was £258. A lot I thought and cross checked to last year it was (only) £199.

So I asked why? I was told that it was because of my postcode. Being in London I had to meet the extra costs of parking and congestion zone charges. But my post code doesn't have any parking charges and Sydenham is still long way from the congestion zone. Aha - they countered but our vehicles have to pass through that area. Hey? their depot is in central London? Or am I expected to subsidise those within the zone?

Our conversation started to fall about at this stage. As their explanations for a 30% price hike became increasingly desperate I can only judge that they hope most people paying by DD just won't notice or care too much compared to their hike in fuel costs.

Don't they realise that thanks to Uncle Ken I not only have a congestion charge to avoid but an Olympic Games to support? So has British Gas, fat from their success at Bell Green, got me by the short & curlies? It is an aged boiler - is there anyone local and, more importantly, totally trustworthy to turn out fast if it fails?
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

We've found that Pro Gas in Kent House Road are fantastic - they even turned out one year at 6pm on Christmas Eve!
simon

Post by simon »

Second that Annabel. Not the cheapest plumbers but reliable, no quibble guarantees and always turn up when they say they will.
robotfish

Post by robotfish »

and I'll third it. Reliable and friendly with good aftersales service too if you need to replace the boiler at any time...