New Road Name

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
SE26bloke

Re: New Road Name

Post by SE26bloke »

Annie. wrote:Is he that bad?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
He is to acting what Dewhursts were to brain surgery.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I dont think that stretch of road needs renaming (plus it means changing every map on london and all the business there will have to change all their stationery, invoices, bank details etc). Dame Patricia Trembath Books doesn't have such a natty ring to it either.

But the public square around the back of the Greyhound Pub probably needs naming (if it hasn't already). It would be nice to honour one of Sydenham's illustrious characters. Walter Cobb, Shackleton, Baird, Grace etc
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

You are probably correct Lee.
I think a number of newcomers think Sydenham Road goes up to Cobb's Corner

The square at the back of the ex Greyhound does not look big enough for a square but maybe I am wrong as you cannot get round there yet.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

No please not Jason S , whoever he is, diver , actor , Norfolkian or Sydenham ite.

Perhaps Plaza not square. Dame Patricia or Dame Cicely Plaza . Has a ring about it.
michael

Post by michael »

I'm not sure about the naming of the plaza to the rear of the Greyhound. Who really wants their name associated with a dog's behind?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

If you submit images to the mural Michael, you could have your face on it.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Perhaps that prime under the tail spot will be reserved for Gerry and Jim Dowd. :wink:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sorry Mary who is Gerald Dowd . If he is a sibling of our Rt Hon Member then not sure how that entitles him to have a plaza names after him
marymck

Post by marymck »

He's a Director of Purelake Homes. But I wasn't talking about the naming of the plaza ... :wink:
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Between the legs could be reserved for ----Ed. ;0))

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Oh I now understand. Are the Dowd's related , surely not.

What about the Road Name. Think it could give a big uplift to the area. The pride of the celebrity will overflow Sydenham
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

They are brothers.
marymck

Post by marymck »

It does cost a lot of money to rename a street. I'd like to see upper Kirkdale revert to its earlier name of Sydenham Hill Road, but it's not going to happen. Kirkdale's one of those completely meaningless names and because of its length and weird route it confuses a lot of people at either end.

I'd love to see a new street or town square named after dame Cecily. I wonder if the new open space by the pools has been named?

Whereabouts in sydenham did she live?

& who was lawrie btw?

Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

marymck wrote:& who was lawrie btw?
The Lawrie family owned the area now known as 'Lawrie Park' in the early 19th century, and sold it for development to the Crystal Palace Company in 1852. They lived in Sydenham Hall, on the site of the present Hall Drive.
marymck

Post by marymck »

thanks Robin - that's very interesting. I wonder if any of them are still around?

Did you see the Secret Streets programme about Bermondsey? It featured the descendant of the man who used to own the street featured - he'd had to sell to the Council because he couldn't afford the cost of putting bathrooms in all the houses. And now, of course, those houses that do come onto the open market are snapped up by developers at auction & locals can't afford them.

But I digress ...
stuart

Post by stuart »

marymck wrote:I'd love to see a new street or town square named after dame Cecily. I wonder if the new open space by the pools has been named?

Whereabouts in sydenham did she live?
Next door to me. Please no changes here, they have both already changed the name of our street from Westwood Road to LPG and given it a crazy numbering system. Dazed CityLink drivers are real road hazard.

Stuart
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Eagle wrote:I was strolling along from Kente to Lawrie Park this morning with a friend and mentioned that what we want is a new name for that stretch of road( from Station to Cobb's Corner.

Why not Dame Patricia Way. This surely would result in an increase in civic pride.
How ludicrous - that stretch of road already has a perfectly good name and I really don't see any need to change it - especially not a mouthful like that.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Its just a few suggestions gillyp, nothing will come of it, its a what if situation.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Gilly...

As I explained Kirkdale is very long , and I am sure a number of people think SR starts at CC , rather than Railway Bridge.

Surely a special name for the centre of town , maybe Dame Patricia Way , would liven up the town.
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Tongue in cheek I trust Eagle? :lol:

'Whatever' - as they say. It'll never happen!