Funding for Mayow Park Pavilion refurbishment

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

Funding for Mayow Park Pavilion refurbishment

Post by Tim Lund »

Friends of Mayow Park wrote:We've been waiting to learn about what will happen to the Pavilion in Mayow Park and now we have some good news. Lewisham Council, in partnership with Glendale, have secured £65,000 from Sport England 'Inspired Facilities' (National Lottery funding) to renovate the pavilion with sports changing rooms upstairs and a café on the ground floor for the general public. The facilities will also include public toilets. The café will be able to serve as an information hub and community space.

The bid was supported by the Friends of Mayow Park as well as local schools and clubs using the cricket facilities in the park. Match funding will be provided by Lewisham Council to complete the project. The development of the pavilion will transform the unsafe, derelict building into an attraction, whilst conserving some of the attractive features.

The refurbishment will help to encourage sustained participation in sport, providing a permanent facility for cricket matches and other sports played in the park. We look forward to seeing it well used by our home cricket team, Streatham & Marlborough as well as others.
Source here
G-Man

Re: Funding for Mayow Park Pavilion refurbishment

Post by G-Man »

That's fantastic news, very exciting. Look forward to using the cafe when it's open.

G-man
coll

Post by coll »

Does anyone know who will run the new cafe? Will this be open to anyone to apply to run it? I know of several interested parties whom have expressed interest and whom have a lot of experience in the business.
I do hope there is a fair and equal opportunity for all to submit a proposal to run a business that is well anticipated in the area.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

coll wrote:Does anyone know who will run the new cafe? Will this be open to anyone to apply to run it? I know of several interested parties whom have expressed interest and whom have a lot of experience in the business.
I do hope there is a fair and equal opportunity for all to submit a proposal to run a business that is well anticipated in the area.
No reason to think any decision has been taken on this. As I wrote here last year, the Council will be putting this out to tender
LocalMum

Post by LocalMum »

Has there been any progress on works does anyone know? Are plans still in place to refurb as a sports facility?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Localmum - yes - plans are still in place, and the refurbishment should start this coming Monday. There will be a café on the ground floor, with sports changing rooms above.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Great news and well done all involved .
I look forward to having an espresso and cig in the park one sunny morning soon..... Another reason to live in Sydenham !
A very good evening
Nigel

TheShiatsuGuy

How to make a proposal to run the cafe in the Pavilion?

Post by TheShiatsuGuy »

Hello, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to the area (2 years in De Frene Road)
I've just spent an unfruitful 20 minutes getting lost and hung-up-on in the Lewisham council switchboard... to no avail...

So just wondering if anyone has any information on how one would go about putting in a proposal to run the cafe in the Mayow park Pavilion?

Not for myself but for the owners of Canvas and Cream in Forest Hill, who are friends of mine and were interested when I mentioned the opportunity to them...

But no dice if we can't make it easy for them to get a proposal in...

Also was at Jill, the SEE3 community Hub, last night for the 'History of Shops on the High street' talk and managed to plant the idea with the owner of 'On the Hoof' cafe too... so hopefully one of those two will be successful in their bid...

Great things for Mayow Park!

Thanks in advance for any help!

Simon :)
dickp

Post by dickp »

Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Welcome to the Forum, Simon. I've just sent you a PM
TheShiatsuGuy

Post by TheShiatsuGuy »

Hi, thanks both, I've seen the DM and will check out the link.
It's great to find such a brilliant community in this area :)
cyclesteve

Post by cyclesteve »

Make sure it's cyclists friendly, could put quite a bit of custom your way ;) Fancy coffee, good cake and reasonable prices are all us humble riders require.

A good bacon butty wouldn't go a miss tho !!

Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Anyone know when the development is due to be completed?
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

There have been a couple of set backs - first a collapsed sewer, three meters down, and second, as much if not more extensive dry rot than feared in the worst case - so mid July is now more when completion is hoped, rather than expected. In any case, LB Lewisham will be seeking expressions of interest in operating the café towards the end of May.
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

I spoke to the site supervisor for Glendale about the collapsed sewer this morning, who described it as a 'complete nightmare', and was not going to let me get any closer pictures than this, which I got by leaning over the fence into Grow Mayow

They at least can see where the sewer is broken - 3.7 meters below the surface, and according to the Glendale manager at last night's meeting of Friends of Mayow Park, there is water coming into the hole from they know not where. A portaloo is going to have to be installed for there to be any toilets in the park.

This is obviously disappointing, but it was actually a very positive meeting, especially thanks to a new member representing the interests of dog-walkers. In winter especially, they are the park's eyes and eards, and hopefully, they will soon no longer feel excluded.

We're also looking for someone to speak for 'families', so if you or anyone you know is a regular user of the park, with your kids, and want to say what should be done for them, then please get in touch.

For more about Mayow Park, visit the Friends of Mayow Park Blog, join us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter @mayowpark1
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

Is a portaloo a viable option? How often do they need to emptied? Assume the servicing cost will be considerable?
Mayow Park

Post by Mayow Park »

Let's give the good news first - Erika, of the Little Green Screen writes
Grow Mayow is open as usual

and will be hosting GREEN ARTS AT GROW MAYOW, a two week celebration of environment inspired art, installations, film and workshops during the Sydenham Arts Festival :)

more details (and press release) to follow!
Now the bad news
Thames Water's contractor have surveyed the sewer in Mayow Road and have found a "blind" connection coming from the park direction. However without digging up the whole of the Grow Mayow garden we cannot be sure of its exact position. With this in mind I have asked Glendale to make an application to Thames Water for them to survey the site and quote for a new foul sewer connection from the existing drain to the road. As soon as we have this information I can seek additional funding to enable this work.

With regards to the building itself the damaged sewer has inevitably caused some delay. Works are continuing with the main roof, which will be repaired, and the roof over the new toilets which will be replaced. Unfortunately the dry rot was worse than we had hoped for. Once the plaster had been hacked off it was evident that door and window lintels in the left hand side of the building (as you look from the front) would need to be replaced and new windows and doors installed. These additional costs will have to covered. A new, upgraded, electrical supply will be installed at the end of next week, this will provide a separate metered supply to Grow Mayow; the pavilion and bowls buildings; and separate supply for the café space.
Whiftoff

Post by Whiftoff »

The delay will be worth the wait if funding is agreed for replacement drainage. Having a portaloo, as originally suggested, would probably cost more in the long run and would generally look a bit rubbish and budget. Lets hope you get the funding. I think Mayow Park is definitely worth splashing the cash on!