Cobbs Corner Roundabout

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Robin Orton

Re: Cobbs Corner Roundabout

Post by Robin Orton »

Eagle wrote:Guess only a matter of time for LBC to bring in 20 mph as other boroughs have done
Haven't they already, for (all/many/some) non-main roads? Weren't they indeed one of the first London boroughs to do so?

(I've searched in vain however for up-to-date information about this on the borough website)
mosy

Post by mosy »

One thing about ramps (as a pedestrian) that I don't like is that some car drivers don't bother to engage their handbrake, so roll backwards as they are setting off. This happens already at the raised up part at the Silverdale/Syd Rd junction. Perhaps there should be more posts stuck in the ground (pavement clutter) saying "Use your handbrake!" :lol:
marymck

Post by marymck »

Sorry Mosy, but I don't really understand what you mean. Surely at a raised pedestrian crossing point the pedestrians would be walking in front of the cars. So rolling back wouldn't be a problem.

Personally, when I'm driving, I hate it when I'm stopped in traffic on a steep hill and cars and other road users come up and stop (or stand!) really close behind me. Unless one is driving an automatic, there's always the chance that, no matter how well driven, a car could roll back when doing a hill start.

When I'm a pedestrian, I never stand or walk behind cars in that type of situation and I always leave a big gap when I'm driving.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle wrote:
Guess only a matter of time for LBC to bring in 20 mph as other boroughs have done
Very bad for the environment. Modern engines just aren't designed to be driven that slowly.

I wish we could educate everyone to cross the roads at marked crossing points.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

marymck wrote:
Eagle wrote:
Guess only a matter of time for LBC to bring in 20 mph as other boroughs have done
Very bad for the environment. Modern engines just aren't designed to be driven that slowly.
Really? The average speed for cars in London is around 10mph. I'm sure cars are now better at being driven slowly and kinder to the environment than they were years ago. They certainly don't overheat as much! Surely it's stopping and starting that is bad for the environment?
mosy

Post by mosy »

marymck wrote:Sorry Mosy, but I don't really understand what you mean. Surely at a raised pedestrian crossing point the pedestrians would be walking in front of the cars. So rolling back wouldn't be a problem. [clip]
Fair point. I was a bit off topic referring to a junction at which pedestrians have no right of way. Whether cars during peak times will straddle new pedestrian-light junctions remains to be seen. Still, at least something is happening at last :)
dickp

Post by dickp »

Cars that roll back too far tend to hit those behind them...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I too am filled with hope to see this first spade in the ground of what I hope will be a great leap forward for Sydenham.
As we pass into this golden future I feel we should reflect on the horror that was the wonky roundabout at Cobbs Corner. To paraphrase a well know phrase or saying , if a 1000 monkeys did an NVQ in procurement and got jobs with LB Lewisham , that roundabout would be the result .
To quote a great Sydenham man and scholar' often mistakenly attributed to China , namely one Colin Fucious, " it's is better to light one candle than to complain about the darkness ".
As I apply bottle after bottle of mind-bleach to erase the memory of that despicable , vile , unmanaged insult to public money I also look forward to the real promise of the improvements not least of all a circular, level and concentric roundabout.
Good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Has work started? Traffic very slow on Sydenham Road today...
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

Nigel wrote:As we pass into this golden future I feel we should reflect on the horror that was the wonky roundabout at Cobbs Corner. To paraphrase a well know phrase or saying , if a 1000 monkeys did an NVQ in procurement and got jobs with LB Lewisham , that roundabout would be the result .
What wonky roundabout? The present one seems pretty symmetrical. Are you referring to a predecessor?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

JulietP wrote:
What wonky roundabout? The present one seems pretty symmetrical. Are you referring to a predecessor?
You jest, surely? If in doubt, have a look at the photo here:

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_guerilla_gardeners.html
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

rshdunlop wrote:
JulietP wrote:
You jest, surely? If in doubt, have a look at the photo here:

http://www.sydenham.org.uk/news_guerilla_gardeners.html
I stand corrected!
owlwise

Post by owlwise »

This wonky roundabout is no more. It has ceased to be. It's expired and gone to meet its maker. It's stiff, bereft of life, it rests in peace... It's rung down the curtain and joined the choir invisible. This is an ex-wonky roundabout! :D

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o57 ... G_2412.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o57 ... G_2410.jpg
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

We are going to need a new photo soon for the banner at the top of the forum. All pictures of the erstwhile wonky roundabout to be sent to the Town Museum forthwith.

stuart

Post by stuart »

Right Rachel. The Greyhound is also no longer part of our skyline!

Stuart
Willy

Impending Roadworks between Cobbs Corner and Mayow Road

Post by Willy »

I just noticed some signs have appeared informing us of some roadworks on this stretch that will be going on from September 2012 to September 2013, anyone know what this is for? We have only just got over the gas main works that seemed to take the best part of 3 years...
newbrit

Post by newbrit »

My wife just came back from the gym and noticed that both the pedestrian crossings near the roundabout (by LA Fitness and the bridge) were not in use. Is the council going to wait until someone gets hurt to realise that pedestrian crossings are necessary? As usual, vehicular traffic seems to have been given preference...
Rachael

Re: Impending Roadworks between Cobbs Corner and Mayow Road

Post by Rachael »

Willy wrote:I just noticed some signs have appeared informing us of some roadworks on this stretch that will be going on from September 2012 to September 2013, anyone know what this is for? We have only just got over the gas main works that seemed to take the best part of 3 years...
Willy - it's the long-awaited Sydenham Road regeneration project. I posted a link to the plans near the top of the first page of this thread, if you want to take a look. I agree, it does just seem like we got rid of the gas mains works.

Your post makes me wonder how many people have no idea about this project, apart from the forum diehards.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Very exciting! At last!

The changes to Sydenham Road have been very well publicised, from having the plans in a shop in Sydenham Road, they have been on Lewisham's website, this forum, Sydenham Society web and newsletters, every assembly, Chris Bests' site, leaflets etc not to mention public consultations and i'm pretty sure it was in the local press.

I'm not sure how they could let more people know.

All this raises another question, if people don't know what's going on, how DO people find out what is going on?

It may be worth running a poll to find out how people get their local news. Web? This site, the Sydenham Society blog? The Sydenham Town Centre site? Newsletters? Press?

Judging by the response to the greyhound mural, I'd guess that, by far, it's this forum.
Willy

Post by Willy »

To be honest I had given up on these plans ever being implemented, it's been so long coming I had forgotten all about it!