The former face of Lewisham Conservatism

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Tim Lund

The former face of Lewisham Conservatism

Post by Tim Lund »

Mark Chandler, News Shopper wrote:IN a shock move, one of Lewisham's only Tory councillors has defected to the Labour Party over government austerity measures.

Grove Park ward's Councillor David Britton, a former Conservative group leader who joined the local authority in 1998, said he had found his previous position "impossible".
Source here

This seems a bit curious to me. Why join the Labour Party rather than just be independent? Is it that, as an experienced Councillor, he knows that accepting Labour Party discipline will mean he can achieve for the people in his ward?
leenewham

Re: The former face of Lewisham Conservatism

Post by leenewham »

Or perhaps he realized he had more chance of being re-elected as a Labour Candidate.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Sure, but why would the Labour Party select someone who's been a Conservative up till now? Would part of the deal for switching sides be that he would get selected by Labour? Why wouldn't they look for a new, maybe younger, party member of longer standing? With 40 out of 54 already, does Labour really need more councillors? Or is there some kind of rivalry with the parties in comparable Boroughs such as Newham, where all councillors are Labour, to have the most effective local political machine?

It just doesn't feel like the working of a healthy democracy to me.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lewisham has been a one party state as long as I can recall. Not healthy.

If elected as a Conservative perhaps he should stand again
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

More on this on 'Conservative Home', including
Ironically Cllr Britton had earlier been instrumental in denouncing another Conservative councillor for contemplating going into coalition with Labour.
newbrit

Post by newbrit »

Why don't you try asking him? It is just too easy to speculate, and it might be juicier, but it is not fair...

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

newbrit wrote:Why don't you try asking him? It is just too easy to speculate, and it might be juicier, but it is not fair...

I think the fairest thing to do is to go with what he told the News Shopper
He said: "The policies of this government are damaging the lives of the most needy and that is not what I am in politics to do.

"I find it impossible to continue to defend the government to the people that I have represented on the council since 1998."

He added: "This decision has been difficult to make, but in the end my political principles have guided me to joining the Labour Party."
It's an interesting question why from 1998 until now he felt that being a Conservative was best for "the lives of the most needy", or whether, prior to this defection, he was in politics for some other purpose.
Last edited by Tim Lund on 18 Sep 2012 13:03, edited 2 times in total.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Tim Lund wrote:... or whether, prior to this defection, he was in politics for some other purpose.
Oh dear, I read that as defecation. Freud is not dead :D

Stuart
newbrit

Post by newbrit »

Tim Lund wrote:
newbrit wrote:Why don't you try asking him? It is just too easy to speculate, and it might be juicier, but it is not fair...

I think the fairest thing to do is to go with what he told the News Shopper
He said: "The policies of this government are damaging the lives of the most needy and that is not what I am in politics to do.

"I find it impossible to continue to defend the government to the people that I have represented on the council since 1998."

He added: "This decision has been difficult to make, but in the end my political principles have guided me to joining the Labour Party."
It's an interesting question why from 1998 until now he felt that being a Conservative was best for "the lives of the most needy", or whether, prior to this defection, he was in politics for some other purpose.
So you have never changed your mind, Tim? Some people have too much free time in their hands, and could spare some of it and go ask the man that question. I cannot wait to hear what his answer is. And what you will say then...

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I've changed my mind on various things, and it's good to see that you have too
newbrit wrote:Tm,

I did not say you guys were ranting. I said I did not rant. Please read carefully what I wrote...

This is hardly the place to have discussions about what is fair and what is not.

I do not want to discuss nor debate with you, so I will suspend my postings until I feel there is a better environment in this forum.

Thanks. And have a Merry Christmas.
So, welcome back.

You're right - it might be interesting to ask him directly, so I have, although I can't see that he's likely to have anything to add to what he told the News Shopper.
newbrit

Post by newbrit »

As I said, some people have too much free time...