Strong guys needed Monday or Tuesday!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: Strong guys needed Monday or Tuesday!

Post by Eagle »

Yes I agree. I am 63 and undergoing medical treatment otherwise would have offered.

It is the same principle as presents . Much better to give than receive.
SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

What, with my back? :?
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

Only just seen all this. So, just to be clear, I always pay people who help me unload my goods, and have unloaded them before, on my own, and would have been prepared to do so again if necessary. It's all in hand with the haulage company, who have delivered several times before. We all know the routine. Thanks to all who have offered help. Happily, I have got people to help me bring the tiles into the shop now.
Becca
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I am happy that you have got help, but sorry that the young men on The Sydenham Forum fell short.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
mosy

Post by mosy »

Hi shopgirl. I wonder why you didn't mention payment in your original post?

I'm sorry if you think my replies were negative - they weren't meant to be hence making various suggestions because I know tiles are very heavy and, like you, have often times done such things on my ownsome (jolly hard work and risk of muscle strain) or have gladly paid for help in the past. I'm glad you have it sorted and hope it won't put you off asking in the future.

Hi Tim Lund: I don't see a conflict. If a business (as opposed to a needy person) hopes to get volunteers then there are more likely to be people queueing at the door if an incentive is offered. I'd volunteer in a chain gang chain, one tile or several according to weight at a time, hence suggesting that option - and I'd do it for free.

But, with the boot on the other foot, I wouldn't expect to get such help (or rely on offers) if I hadn't offered an incentive. It is about community spirit yes, although more importantly in this case to shopgirl, it's about confidence of getting help and helpers actually turning up when it's very necessary, given needing to move a ton of tiles. Think probability of numbers, unpaid volunteers versus paid volunteers.