Strong guys needed Monday or Tuesday!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
shopgirl

Strong guys needed Monday or Tuesday!

Post by shopgirl »

I have a ton of tiles arriving at Alhambra next week, and need a couple of strong blokes to help me get them off the pallets and into the garden at the back of the shop. If you are free on Mon or Tues morning, please could you call me in the shop today (Friday) on 0203-417 6385. It's a couple of hours' work. Thanks! Becca
Tim Lund

Re: Strong guys needed Monday or Tuesday!

Post by Tim Lund »

I'm planning to meet up with another STFer for a coffee Tuesday at 11.00, so maybe there's a trade here?
Last edited by Tim Lund on 21 Sep 2012 10:59, edited 1 time in total.
shopgirl

Post by shopgirl »

Delivery now scheduled for 9.30am Tuesday, so that's when I need help - but need to hear from people first... if you're keen to help, please let me know! Thanks! Tim, what is an STFer?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

shopgirl wrote:Delivery now scheduled for 9.30am Tuesday, so that's when I need help - but need to hear from people first... if you're keen to help, please let me know! Thanks! Tim, what is an STFer?
STFer is a frequenter of the Sydenham Town Forums.

Edited 'trader' to 'trade' in previous post - it makes more sense that way :D
multisync

Post by multisync »

Maybe your "peruvian" spanish teacher could rustle up someone !!!!!!
mosy

Post by mosy »

Could you ask if anyone has a wheelbarrow? Or get one from Shannons garden centre behind Forest Hill Station, or Syd DIY or Wickes? A ton of tiles is heavy, even if carried half a dozen at a time. Or a shopping trolley, or maybe you could beg/borrow a supermarket trolley from Sainos in Forest Hill albeit a bit unlikely, or a furniture skate (i.e. some hardwood on casters) or even a skateboard. If the path is not wheel-worthy, you could see if the garden centre has those really big strong carrier bags that soil is delivered in.

I take it that the plan is just to get them off the street as I can't see a lorry driver waiting for a pallet to be un-palleted. Or if you can get enough volunteers, a person to person chain gang would work. For unloading pebbles, I'd decant them into bog standard supermarket bags (to liftable weight), although tiles if sharper might cut through those?

If it's not a stupid question, what did you think would happen when you ordered them? Perhaps the supplier might have ideas?
multisync

Post by multisync »

yes exactly a bit of forward thinking would have been better than expecting others to help you!!! Taking the proverbiable me thinks.
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Perhaps the offer of a cold beer afterwards - or other refreshment kindly laid on - might make people more willing to give up their time? Just a thought....
mosy

Post by mosy »

Voyageur wrote:Perhaps the offer of a cold beer afterwards - or other refreshment kindly laid on - might make people more willing to give up their time? Just a thought....
TBH, for heavy work such as that I'd want minimum pay £/hr. I mean there are favours and favours... Helping the elderly say is different from helping a business who would profit at my expense yet potentially as a volunteer I might get nothing except a thank you. I'd be cheaper than getting a contracted person to move them (by about 4x), but for no £s, who would volunteer?
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Maybe a bit of community spirit would help.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Annie. wrote:Maybe a bit of community spirit would help.

For a community issue yes :)
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Helping people should be at anytime,and not just for a reward.Be it a community issue or not

SE26bloke

Post by SE26bloke »

Well I was going to volunteer so I thought I'd see if I was up to the job and ended up doing my back in removing and flushing a large double radiator.
As I only attempted this to ascertain my suitability I think I'm due some sort of compensation. A crate of lager should suffice.
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Annie. wrote:Helping people should be at anytime,and not just for a reward.Be it a community issue or not

Well said, Annie - surely local businesses can be part of the community? Isn't that a feeling the Portas Pilot bid wants to promote? It's not easy making a living as a small shopkeeper, and Alhambra definitely enhances the area.

I'm baffled by mosy's comment. On the 'The two half's is under offer' thread she writes
it's not unusual for supermarkets to flash "10% free", yet the publicity wrap on a product for 10% free covers nearer 30% by area. Surely buyer beware?

but here she sees this as a case of
helping a business who would profit at my expense
Do she and Multisync prefer the idea of our High Streets being dominated by shops owned by doubtless very tax efficient private equity companies?

Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Tim/Annie,

Roll your sleeves up and get up there then :)

I still think the offer of light refreshment for unpaid manual labour on behalf of a private business is not unreasonable and might gain a better response - more than happy to differ on that.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

If I was capable of helping I would, I am a 56 year old woman without the muscles needed.
I notice when Ali asked for help in moving he got it.was it just for the beer? Or was it community spirit t its best?

Voyageur

Post by Voyageur »

Annie. wrote:If I was capable of helping I would, I am a 56 year old woman without the muscles needed.
I notice when Ali asked for help in moving he got it.was it just for the beer? Or was it community spirit t its best?

56 is no age! :)

Maybe you could go along with a flask of tea to assist, every little helps.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

I should imagine Shop Girl would supply the Tea if needed.
But if she would like me to go and make the tea,and if you are a strong young man willing to help then yes I will.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Welcome back Annie

You have been sadly missed the last 2 or 3 weeks.
Annie.

Post by Annie. »

Thank you Eagle,
I am just passing by though,but couldnt resist this one,
Everyone talks about helping the community,I gather as a whole?
But when someone asks for help they suddenly want some form of payment,I dont really understand why?
I have never been into this shop, but a woman has reached out and asked the young men on this forum for help,
All she gets is negative responses.
Anyway im off,back to my Pleasant world,

Ps Eagle,
I agree with you about Margaret Thatcher.
Nuff said.