The Hempire and Tomorrow's Pine

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Sowden

The Hempire and Tomorrow's Pine

Post by Sowden »

Hello fellow Sydenhamites,

On the back of the great news about the Dolphin opening I would like to bring a couple of other developments to your attention.

I have noticed a new estate agents opened in the premises previously occupied by the Hempire. Obviously not the coffee shop that we have all been crying out for, but a good indication that the area is moving in the right direction non-the-less. I think the agents are part of a chain, but I can't remember if this is definately the case.

Secondly, I drove past Tomorrow's Pine yesterday and noticed some activity going on. They had pulled down the sign and were replacing the glass. Does anyone know anymore? What is opening up there?
biscuitman1978

Tomorrow's Pine

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Sowden wrote:Secondly, I drove past Tomorrow's Pine yesterday and noticed some activity going on. They had pulled down the sign and were replacing the glass. Does anyone know anymore? What is opening up there?
It looks like it is being refurbished and is now to let - see http://www.baxterphilips.co.uk/index.ph ... y&prid=118 and http://www.baxterphilips.co.uk/viewfile.php?pdfid=118
Muddy Waters

Post by Muddy Waters »

But as what - A1, A2 or A3????
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Whatever they do to it, I hope they keep the original windows/frontage!

I was poking my nose against the glass there the other day and noticed there is amazing tiling all the way around the room, although sadly in some state of disrepair - I can't imagine it will be retained.
Big Ben

Post by Big Ben »

Absolutely - let's hope they refurbish this beautiful shopfront and the interior. Another shop that could do with the same treatment is Macrays -the old chemist opposite the end of Silverdale.
Steve Grindlay

Post by Steve Grindlay »

Weeble wrote:I was poking my nose against the glass there the other day and noticed there is amazing tiling all the way around the room, although sadly in some state of disrepair - I can't imagine it will be retained.
You're quite right. I looked in earlier today, and all the walls appeared to have been freshly plastered. Couldn't tell whether any tiles survived beneath the plaster/plasterboard.

However, the repairs (I hope that's all they are) to the window have exposed an early fascia board on which you can just make out the name "Chalk and Cox". At one time they had seven butchers shops in the area. This one was opened in about 1900 and was still operating at the outbreak of WW2. I suspect this board will disappear before long (must get down there with my camera).
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

I understand that the shopfront is being rebuilt to the original style and will be painted green. The freeholder is to be congratulated on his decision to refurbish this long derelict unit and retain this interesting shopfront.

There is also. as I understand it, a covenant on the freehold prohibiting the sale of fresh meat from these premises - some form of earlier protectionism, bearing in mind Steve Grindlay's previous posting. I dont think there is a decision yet as to its final retail use
Weeble

Post by Weeble »

Steve Grindlay wrote:[You're quite right. I looked in earlier today, and all the walls appeared to have been freshly plastered. Couldn't tell whether any tiles survived beneath the plaster/plasterboard.
Many of the tiles really were quite badly damaged and/or missing so it would have taken a lot of determination to restore them. I'd like to think what remained of the tiles are either safely hidden away under the plasterboard or have at least been salvaged.

Good to hear they are keeping the traditional appearance of the frontage. That shop has a lot of potential - I hope it is turned into something useful which will attract local residents to shop there, rather than an estate agents or something.
leaf

Post by leaf »

How or where would someone find out what it is going to be used for?

or do we all just have to wait and see?

*personally,i'd love to see a little shop like the one in the joanne harris book chocolat........hot choclate anyone?
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

I'm hoping for a fried chicken shop or a nail bar.
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

nork1 wrote:I'm hoping for a fried chicken shop or a nail bar.
Hear! Hear! nork1

I do rather hope it's an "everything for a pound" shop, we really could do with some more of those in the locale.

Or maybe a greasy spoon - I wait with baited breath!
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

I'm hoping for Pine-based drug taking paraphernalia personally....
still_robbo

Post by still_robbo »

the pine resin gives it an unmistakable kick I'm told......
Greg Whitehead

Post by Greg Whitehead »

Whatever it is it's got to have a good deal going for it. A large amount of footfall, a very attractive parade of buildings and a latent need for something that isn't another awful low-rent affair.

If it's a coffe shop or deli I'd suggest it would clean up.

@ stil_robbo, is it best to smoke it?