The Railway Pub

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
simon

Re: The Railway Pub

Post by simon »

Comfortable, friendly, rough around the edges and a bit tired, in my experience.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

I look forward to hopefully grabbing a pint in there tomorrow. Will have a butchers on my way home tonight too.

All very exciting if you ask me.

G-Man
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Used to be smokiest place in Sydenham.

Cannot help but be an improvement. Wonder what real ales they will have.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Had a peak through the window earlier. Looks like there are at least two pumps, so not bad but nothing great.

Seems they have kept the fruit machine, which to me is always an odd one. Otherwise looks good.

See you at the bar.

G-Man

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
AdamN

Post by AdamN »

I never used to mind the old Railway pub. It was a typical Taylor Walker pub, a bit down-trodden but a proper drinkers boozer. It's still owned by Taylor Walker so I wouldn't hold your breath for any new 'gastro-pub' experiences.

pip

Post by pip »

I am told it is now open. Anyone been in there yet? Whats the feedback? Positive or negative.
Con

Post by Con »

It's nice enough inside however the clientele are exactly the same as ever

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

In that case Con seems a complete waste of money.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Wow. What an unpleasant thing to say.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mr Sheen
I only see them blocking up the pavement with their ciggies.

I think Con was implying the same but of course could be wrong.

Very sorry if being blunt upset you and possibly should have been more diplomatic .

I would have imagined with all the money spent they would have hoped to move more upmarket.
If one remembers the Olde Dolphin , you will agree that most of them DO NOT frequent the New Dolphin.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Last edited by Mr_Sheen on 30 Dec 2012 21:52, edited 2 times in total.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mr Sheen
You have valid points and on reflection perhaps I was a little harsh. I wish you a Happy Christmas.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

And a Happy Christmas to you too Eagle.
CATLADY

Post by CATLADY »

Hi
I am also bothered by fact the name of The Railway has changed to The Pavilion (why? ) - cricket?again why? It's on a railway bridge for goodness sake. Apart from it being bad luck to change the name of a pub I am surprised this had not been raised on the forum before. Unless of course it was another surprise for Sydenham high street.

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

CATLADY wrote:Hi
I am also bothered by fact the name of The Railway has changed to The Pavilion (why? ) - cricket?again why? It's on a railway bridge for goodness sake. Apart from it being bad luck to change the name of a pub I am surprised this had not been raised on the forum before. Unless of course it was another surprise for Sydenham high street.

Well said Catlady and why The pavilion? All sounds a bit Yuppie to me! :?

Also agree with Love-Sydenham as it's been called 'The Railway' for years. Why can't we keep
that bit of our local history? Surely there was nothing that drastically wrong with having a good old down-to-earth boozer either, we've always had them in the past!
Sydenham doesn't need to be a copy of Fulham or Chelsea, I used to like it the way it was. :(
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Sydenham does not need to copy Chelsea you say.

Going half way would be great. Better quality outlets.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

The Pavillion isn't an up market boozer. I think it looked better when it was the Railway, the new signage is a bit nasty.

I don't understand this 'we don't want anything nice' philosophy. We have one so called up market boozer (i.e., somewhere that does decent food, probably burgers made with real meat, pork belly at over 10 quid for the cheapest cut of pork going and chunky chips as opposed to french fries and a few real ales all on recycled furniture and wooden floors, which to me means a more traditional pub). The only thing more upmarket about up market pubs are the people that go there.

We actually need a bit more of that for a more successful high street. We have lots of other pubs that cater for drinkers, pool players etc.

Yet again I find myself agreeing with Eagle. That's at least twice in one year! ;-)
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

I like the hanging baskets and the brass lamp fittings on the outside, but the hideous 3D cricket ball ruins the sign and spoils the whole effect. The interior looked clean and smart when I popped in on the way home from work a few days ago - but the two handpumps on the bar bore no pumpclips and didn't look like they would be offering real ale any time soon. I have a simple rule with pubs: no ale = no sale.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Well said blake. No real ale no pub. Simples.

Where is the cricket connection with the Pub? Cannot ever recall hearing the sound of ball on willow in the area.
I do appreciate that WG had a local connection but as far as I am aware not with the Pub.
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

Well there you go...no ale = no G-man visiting.

With the new trend for decent ale so many pubs are missing a trick. The Golden Lions ale is kept horrendously for instance. Such a shame. At least James at the Dolphin knows what he's doing.

G-Man