Tesco Coming to Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
rspca

Re: Tesco Coming to Sydenham Road

Post by rspca »

We have no objections to Tesco moving in next door to us.

In West Norwood we have a Tesco Express located directly opposite our shop and the staff are very friendly and helpful.

I also know that the newly opened Tesco in Camberwell supported the local RSPCA clinic by making a monetary donation prior to opening.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nice to know Tesco had a charitable disposition , however would prefer they gave to funds to benefit humans . Animal charities usually swimming with funds from elderly ladies.

However better than not donating at all I guess.

Rather like The Corn Laws , this is a divisive issues and pro and anti Tesco views will not meet in the middle.

Let us hope there will be no blood on the High Street.
rspca

Post by rspca »

Eagle wrote:Nice to know Tesco had a charitable disposition , however would prefer they gave to funds to benefit humans . Animal charities usually swimming with funds from elderly ladies.

However better than not donating at all I guess.

Rather like The Corn Laws , this is a divisive issues and pro and anti Tesco views will not meet in the middle.

Let us hope there will be no blood on the High Street.
Animal charities do not receive funding from the government unlike human and children charities that receive millions from the state.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do not think I claimed they did get state support.

Forget I mentioned it as diverting from the original post. Sorry if I caused any hurt or offence.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I totally agree that the current area is an eyesore so having someone in there will hopefully improve things but it strikes me that our high street is becoming dominated by mini supermarkets, tatty shops, bloody estate agents and chicken shops. We need some variety. Problem is what can go next to the PFC outside display. Certainly not a cafe or bar which is what I would ideally like there as there's outside space for tables and chairs.
I'd much rather we had a M&S or Waitrose up by the Greyhound instead of Sainsburys as they offer a choice that we don't already have in Sydenham.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I have made tescopoly aware that there is a planning app in the works for a Tesco that a majority of people on this forum do not want or need. I intend to create a short questionnaire should the shop ever open that I can ask people entering or leaving the shop - what are they going in there to buy? Do they realise that it can be bought elsewhere on the high st? (when they come out, ask if they bought anything extra? and point out that that too could be bought elsewhere on the high st) - also point out the bad points, as I see them, of the multi national conglomerate that is T£sco - the way they treat their staff, their suppliers abroad, the air miles involved in their fresh produce, poor pay to suppliers abroad, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully I might be able to persuade a few people to shop locally. Hopefully it won't come to that.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Robinson
Whilst I support your ideals I think you may be going a bit over the top.

Firstly if they shop in the new Tesco they will be shopping locally.

The fact they could have purchased the item elsewhere is not a reason why more than one retailer can sell the same product.

A few people my not be very polite to tour questions.

Good Luck anyway.
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Presumably they will also create some local employment which is more than the empty space does. Does anyone know what's happening to the eyesore that is the post office and whatever that building is?

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I have made tescopoly aware that there is a planning app in the works for a Tesco that a majority of people on this forum do not want or need. I intend to create a short questionnaire should the shop ever open that I can ask people entering or leaving the shop - what are they going in there to buy? Do they realise that it can be bought elsewhere on the high st? (when they come out, ask if they bought anything extra? and point out that that too could be bought elsewhere on the high st) - also point out the bad points, as I see them, of the multi national conglomerate that is T£sco - the way they treat their staff, their suppliers abroad, the air miles involved in their fresh produce, poor pay to suppliers abroad, etc, etc, etc. Hopefully I might be able to persuade a few people to shop locally. Hopefully it won't come to that
Mental note made to avoid you when I'm off to Tescos for my "cancer inducing sludge". You'll be the guy with the clipboard presumably? :wink:
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

hairybuddha wrote: Mental note made to avoid you when I'm off to Tescos for my "cancer inducing sludge". You'll be the guy with the clipboard presumably? :wink:
You could always creep in there wearing a disguise!
PS: I'll be the one wearing the obviously false beard and dark glasses! :lol: :lol:
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

You'll be the one looking like a hairy buddha I presume. Must be too many Tesco ready meals.
Ready meals? Wouldn't touch the stuff! With the possible exception of M+S mac and cheese, yum yum!

Has anyone noticed the two page spread adverts that Tesco have taken out in most of the papers today?

"Seriously. This is it. We are changing". Powerful stuff :roll:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

HB

Saw but did not read the adverts. Good money for the papers.

I wonder if Tesco realise the storm that is brewing in Se26. Perhaps Mr Cohen will come down himself to explain.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

One man and his clipboard does not a storm make...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Surely there may be more than one. The whole aristocracy of Sydenham will , or could be , on the march.

I assume Dame Patricia at the helm.

Not sure what the all day stinkers will make of it.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

rod taylor wrote: Do you not think that if you feel strongly about a local issue that you should do what you can to effect it?
Of course you should Rod. I must applaud you for that! :) (wishes STF had a clapping smiley).
Whether others (including myself) agree with you or disagree is totally irrelevant.

I must admit you have made some excellent valid points within this post and you now even
have me beginning to doubt whether Tesco's is such a good idea after all, so your efforts are
certainly not in vain. Maybe some of us will thank you at a later date - Then again.. :oops:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rod
Sorry if my message got confused.
I do support you as I am not a fan of Tesco, all I am saying is I think you will be surprised how many shop in Tesco and how many are not too happy with your questions.

Good Luck anyway.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

JRobinson

I am With you 100% on this - for three reasons

1 you show ambition for Sydenham
2 absolutely no area has ever improved through the intervention of Tesco
3 I am tired of the " anything is better than the eyesore that is there currently "- ( on that basis what? Nuclear reactor ? 24 hour nail parlour with chicken franchise?

No, I think we should oppose what we know will be bad in the hope that something good can come.
Fair play to you sir
Good morning
Nigel

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Right then, in that case I'm starting something - I don't know if 'SayNoToT£sco' is already taken but we'll begin there.

personally I'd much rather we stop them getting in in the first place, and get something local/independent/ethically or morally more acceptable, but if they get a shop open, then I'll do what I can to persuade people on the street that what is available inside is also available elsewhere and what terrible practices T£sco have.

as Nigel said (roughly) - nowhere has improved after a T£sco has arrived.

I don't want to lose local independent shops. I do want to have choice over where I spend my money (and that choice shouldn't be just T£sco, Co-op or JS - they are all to some extent damaging to localism )

that said if anyone is interested in contributing time or effort to the cause please send me a personal message (pm).

I am open to suggestions as to where we go from here - I will start a new thread.

Jon
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Nigel,

Do you have a citation for your second point? It's quite a big claim to make and it would be useful if you could back it up with facts or something... If true, we would need to make sure it got on the clipboard

HB
Arbetaren

Post by Arbetaren »

Of course it is a good idea. Can't believe all the negative comments. First sight when coming out of the station approach would be to see a Tesco sign. Shows there is civilisation in the area. Visitor and home buyers appeal!