Say No To T£sco

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
hdekretser

Re: Say No To T£sco

Post by hdekretser »

I was very sad to hear about the Tesco application. Co-op at one end, Sainsbury's at the end feels more than enough of the giant chains for one high street. I prefer initiatives that will encourage local and independent businesses.

Tesco's have been successfully opposed in other areas with strong campaigning from the community. I know that this happened quite recently in my home town of Thame in Oxfordshire. For some reason I can't find any reference to the campaign on google. But it did happen.

Part of that campaign included a Facebook page. I feel, alongside this forum thread, social media would be a good way to bring together people opposed to another large chain supermarket on the high street. Followers on twitter and Facebook fans can be kept up to date easily and it's encouraging for everyone to see just how many support the campaign. If anything it will be a good test of support, but it can help achieve so much more in a short period of time with little expense.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Just out of interest, what do the people who seem to be in favour of Tesco think they will offer that the Co-operative and Sainsbury's and independents don't?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I take it everyone read about Valerie Singleton and other protestors in Sherbourne , campaigning against a proposed new Tesco super store.

Her protest may succeed , the demographics of SE26 and Sherbourne are not the same.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

leenewham wrote:Just out of interest, what do the people who seem to be in favour of Tesco think they will offer that the Co-operative and Sainsbury's and independents don't?
I'm neither for nor against Tesco, I just question the logic/motives behind the anti Tesco campaign. You said yourself 'do we want our high street to look like every other one with the same stores selling the same products' yet on the wishlist thread you'd happily accept a Waitrose. Why? What does that offer that others on the high street don't? Ditto others who support an M&S foods - that's a convenience store... why is that acceptable?
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Mr_Sheen wrote:
leenewham wrote:Just out of interest, what do the people who seem to be in favour of Tesco think they will offer that the Co-operative and Sainsbury's and independents don't?
I'm neither for nor against Tesco, I just question the logic/motives behind the anti Tesco campaign. You said yourself 'do we want our high street to look like every other one with the same stores selling the same products' yet on the wishlist thread you'd happily accept a Waitrose. Why? What does that offer that others on the high street don't? Ditto others who support an M&S foods - that's a convenience store... why is that acceptable?
Presumably because there are two separate reasons for not wanting Tescos:
1. Because it affects the diversity on the high street and prevents something more interesting from opening in a prime unit.

2. Because people object to the ethics of Tescos.

The people who would welcome Waitrose or M&S probably object on the grounds of number 2. However, there is also an argument that those two brands would be preferable to a Tescos because their offer would be a little different, thus contributing to diversity and foot fall more than a Tescos would, and thus overriding objection number 1.

Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

So a mixture of ethical and diverse is what is required? Isn't this already catered for by Co-op and PFC?

(I'd also question Waitrose as being ethical for their links to Shell).
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Not sure what shops qualify for your credentials Mr Sheen.
Only a local market but we have built on all our local farmland. What a shame.

Not a lover of giant chains but still unsure why Tesco gets all the wrath , whilst Morrisons , Asda and Sainsbury seem to sail on. They are all basically the same.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

It's not my credentials Eagle, as I said I'm neither for nor against. I'm just trying to suss out why some chains such as M&S and Waitrose are more acceptable than Tesco.

The argument that Tesco adds no value to the high street and will discourage other businesses may or may not be true but as it stands now the chocolate shops, candle shops, theatres and gastro pubs aren't exactly flocking to the area and the sight of boarded up premises doesn't really help matters.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

rod taylor wrote:
Mr_Sheen wrote:So a mixture of ethical and diverse is what is required? Isn't this already catered for by Co-op and PFC?

(I'd also question Waitrose as being ethical for their links to Shell).
There are many different reasons for not wanting Tesco. Those of us who oppose them may agree on some and part company on the others.

All these arguments, put together, form the basis of a case against Tesco.

That is why some anti-Tesco campaigners might welcome Waitrose. Others might not, Mr Sheen.
So Rod, no one else has come forward for the Two Half's - would you rather it sat empty and boarded up than ever consider having Tesco taking it over? (this isn't a finger jabbing hostile question - I'd genuinely like to know your opinion).
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

rod taylor wrote:
Mr_Sheen wrote:It's not my credentials Eagle, as I said I'm neither for nor against. I'm just trying to suss out why some chains such as M&S and Waitrose are more acceptable than Tesco.
Well personally I would prefer no further supermarkets on Sydenham Road. The anti-Tesco campaign comes from a variety of angles. Perhaps those who wouldn't mind Waitrose or M&S do so because these supermarkets know what is in their food, unlike Tesco.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... -grow.html

Both Waitrose and M&S were cleared during the horsemeat scandal.

Tesco sell lowest common denominator crap. They evidently have no idea what is in their food. You can't trust their labelling.
Are you going to campaign against Sainsbury opening next door to the Greyhound? They have a similar business model of opening convenience stores and were also caught up in the horsemeat scandal.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Fair enough - I'll have to read a bit more into it.
mikej

Post by mikej »

Marie/Mazzer said
I'm gutted Tesco are opening here, particularly that they are going to be right next door to the brilliant PFC. It's going to be devastating for them. Count me in on any action necessary to campaign against this.

I'm not sure you are right, Marie - the PFC in Penge is located opposite a large Sainsbury's and two minutes from a Lidl, and it doesn't seem to affect them at all - they always have lots of people in there. So don't worry!
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

mr sheen, unfortunately this website and forum is populated by snobs and hypocrites so why bother on here.
simon

Post by simon »

They're only shops,ffs!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

dantheman wrote:mr sheen, unfortunately this website and forum is populated by snobs and hypocrites so why bother on here.
Eh? Is it? Since when? Who?

leenewham

Post by leenewham »

dantheman wrote:mr sheen, unfortunately this website and forum is populated by snobs and hypocrites so why bother on here.
Eh? Is it? Since when? Who?

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote: Not a lover of giant chains but still unsure why Tesco gets all the wrath , whilst Morrisons , Asda and Sainsbury seem to sail on. They are all basically the same.
True Eagle as none of them exist to help local independants.
Fundamentally all are in the highstreet to make as big a profit as they can.

I think that many on here find tescos unethical, so thats why all the fuss.
Not a particular issue for me as I don't shop in Sydenham but understand why
others who feel strongly are dealing out the wrath! Good luck to them.. :wink:
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

dantheman wrote:RAM has upped his game since tesco opened and he now offers better products at more competitive prices so im all for another tesco in the high street, as im sure the majority of residents would agree , good luck to them.
RAM is down thousands a month, had to reduce its staff...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

My goodness - we have now seen all of the acquiescent positions that nurture organisations that cynically drive out small retailers , sell the public toxic inferior food and reduce the basic rights of working people :
- Tesco are no worse than Morrison- and?
- it's better than the current eyesore
- my personal favourite - " I don't shop in Sydenham "
There is genuine opposition to Tesco for very clear reason. I am stunned that people want to challenge and minimise this resistance to Tesco. I cannot abide these relativist , intellectual arguments . My position is clear - I will not use Tesco, I will discourage anyone who will listen from using it and I will continue to support my local shops .

Good evening
Nigel

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Nigel wrote: - my personal favourite - " I don't shop in Sydenham "

Very cynically you cut my message a bit short Nigel, so just to spell it out:

"Not a particular issue for me as I don't shop in Sydenham but understand why others
who feel strongly are dealing out the wrath! Good luck to them"..
:wink:

Sounds a lot different than when you intentionally shorten and misinterpret my message
to suit your own agenda. If you are going to quote my message then at least do it in the
context it was stated in! :|

A very good evening to you too!