How to avoid Tesco, Sydenham Road

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Manwithaview1

Re: How to avoid Tesco, Sydenham Road

Post by Manwithaview1 »

tesco is not multi million but multi-billion.

I in every 7 pounds spent in the UK is spent in Tesco or its affiliate companies...
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Just shop elsewhere ( i do ). It is apparently a free world.

I would think you have as much chance of stopping the new store as Mr Milliband junior not mentioning the so called millionaires tax cut , every time he opens his mouth. However good luck to you.
Marathon

Post by Marathon »

Tesco's new price promise beats Sainsbury's according to moneysavingexpert.com

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/s ... ontent=113

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

It has also been suggested that the new price promise will be very difficult for Tescos to administrate as it applies to unbranded goods and they will have great difficulty comparing like-with-like.
gurka

Post by gurka »

Tesco - will they end up owning everything?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21769507

I was holiday in czech republic and there was a Tesco's, I was working in my companies german headquarters and there was a Tesco's !!

They are like Rats.....
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Hopefully we won't find any giraffe in their horseburgers... Or is that the other way around??
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I have never heard of giraffe restuarants , but as they apparently advertise they are child friendly they are probably a nightmare.

In mainland Europe eating establishments do not need to say they are child friendly as children tend to be well behaved.

Tesco are welcome to them
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

You really need to get out more Eagle. Giraffe are great. NOt all kids int he UK are badly behaved.

I can't believe Tesco have bought them. Giraffe were really good. Good menus, interesting food, good service. The managers and staff were all friendly too.

I expect them to go downhill now with inferior ingredients and products.

Expect more of this, Tesco need to expand, they can't do it the traditional way, they will be buying a lot of these smaller brands.
sparticus

Post by sparticus »

We moved to Sydenham from Bromley last year and one of the great joys is living somewhere where there is a high street with a good range of shops. In January I decided to stop using any of the big 4 supermarkets and shop locally. I realise that as a retired person I have the luxury of time, and it might not have been as easy when I was working full time and had two teenagers at home, but I have found that not only do I not miss shopping in big supermarkets at all, but that I am also saving money and having a better experience all round. I find that PFC, Billings and Fresh and Fruity meet nearly all my day to day needs plus the co-op once a week, and because I don't impulse buy stuff I don't need, both my wallet and waistline benefit. The only thing I really cant get locally is decent cheese, but its helping the aforementioned waistline, and I can always hop on the train to Borough Market for any special cheesy treats. Whilst some things are more expensive I find that on average fruit and vegetables are cheaper. I also don't use the car to get pint of milk or a newspaper as I did when I lived in Park Langley. The co-op delivers any shop over £20 and their delivery bloke is friendly and helpful. I have now switched my energy supply to the co-op as well, so feel thoroughly virtuous! There is one, and only one, simple answer to the decline of our high streets, use them!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

Well if I'm honest I would rather have a Tesco than another flipping nail bar, mobile phone cubical, pound shop or charity shop. Sydenham certainly has more than its fair share of those. Any other shops seem to appear for a few weeks, realise that there is no money to be made and give up and leave. I do like the Co-op though so I hope that Tescos don't see them off. And lets face it all the cafes, etc (from Chef's Delight through to SugarHill and everything in between) seem to be able to work almost alongside each other and still keep afloat.
Barry

Post by Barry »

I like T3sco's in Sydenham Road, and what some pressure group says will not change that.
Is Rod a far left anti-capitalist?
Well, Rod, in the words of a well known lady PM - you can't buck the market!
:lol:
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

As others have pointed out Tesco operate in many countries around the world, and not just in the UK. Buying Giraffe might have more to do with helping develop their business in other countries, maybe even Asia - not all their decisions are related to the UK.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

It's very unpopular, Tescopoly taking over Giraffe:

https://www.facebook.com/girafferestaurants I'm struggling to find a single positive comment on their facebook page. And it's not like it's one or two comments, either!
blakewho

Post by blakewho »

sparticus wrote: The only thing I really cant get locally is decent cheese [ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Apologies for the potential damage to your waistline Sparticus, but if you want to buy decent cheese locally you can do that down at Crystal Palace thanks to these very nice people: http://www.goodtaste-fd.co.uk/

They also do a very good range of bottled beers...
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

I like this thread, it's a good idea. I agree that we're unlikely to be able to actually stop Tesco from oppeneing if they're want to open on our high street, and pointing out other local offers, or where products are better quality or cheaper is also a good idea. I just worry that the number of people who use this forum, and the type of people they are, are unlikely to be the people who will be using Tesco anyway. Most people on here understand the issues, and won't shop there. Some don't care and will shop there if they're passing, others are beligerent and will shop there anyway just because. But we're just a very small percentage of the potential customers that could shop there.

We really need an on street presence, be that notice boards/sandwich board, or fliers, or something that people without internet access will see (or for those who have no idea that STF even exists!) Not sure how we'll go about this though - but for the time being putting up other shops offers here is a good idea.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

JRobinson wrote:I just worry that the number of people who use this forum, and the type of people they are, are unlikely to be the people who will be using Tesco anyway. Most people on here understand the issues, and won't shop there.
It's interesting that you say that. At a quick glance at the other Tesco thread on this forum, I counted 8 members against vs 13 in favour. Looks like you're going against the grain of even "the type of people" who use this forum...
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Fair enough, we're in the minority - lets just all give in shall we?!

FFS!
maestro

Post by maestro »

JRobinson wrote:Fair enough, we're in the minority -
Don't be discouraged, every little helps.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

JRobinson wrote:Fair enough, we're in the minority - lets just all give in shall we?!

FFS!
No - You specifically said "most people on here know the issues and won't shop there anyway". I have shown that statement to be dubious at best, or false.

But I sincerely hope you don't give in. That would suggest you are just posturing and haven't really thought any of this through.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

McDonalds is absolutely booming in the UK - One of the few commercial success stories of the last 5 years (one other being Tesco, of course)

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2013 ... s-new-jobs

More ill thought out hyperbole from the clipboard campaigners. Every time you make a comment on this subject the credibility of your campaign takes another hit.

Of course, the numbers are irrelevant. Except when you're trying to claim majority support that doesn't exist or pontificating on the direction of markets or the extent of consumer demand. It's embarrassing.