Cobbs 3AM

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
goonerchamp

Cobbs 3AM

Post by goonerchamp »

I've just got off an N176 on kirkdale/cobbs and I've noticed the at least 15 cars parked on the kerb - belonging to patrons of the club next to the petrol station - now who to I report this to at the council? - its beyond a joke - I had to shimmy in and out of "traffic" on the pavement ! just to walk home - now I know the council probably won't give a toss but its taking the f*king piss !! - dirty scummy hole full of dirty scummy people bringing nothing to Sydenham other than litter and mess !!!!
Eagle

Re: Cobbs 3AM

Post by Eagle »

My sympathy is with you.
There is NEVER any excuse for parking on the pavement. These persons are totally ignorant. One wonders how many of them that drive come out free of influence of alcohol or drugs.
bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Premises like this are best dealt with through licensing. The best bet would be to contact the council at: licensing@lewisham.gov.uk and also the Licensing Officer at Lewisham Police Station - I don't have an email address to hand but you can probably send an enquiry form through the Met's website.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Why oh why does this website not keep messages as drafts if the signal drops out? I've just lost YET ANOTHER post on this antiquated system! It's driving me demented. Almost as demented as people who park on pavements. So I'll take to posting a few words at a time, so as not to risk a burst blood vessel.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
marymck

Post by marymck »

Oh I DO NOT (Bleeps) believe it!!!
The system won't even save drafts. Or if it does, it hides them so well that they're lost for all practical purposes. This is SUCH a waste of time, but I'll give it one last shot.

marymck

Post by marymck »

Take 3 ... yes 3 ... this time a sentence at a time.

marymck

Post by marymck »

Found it! You have to know to press load. Nothing like making a system user friendly.

Here we go again ...

Are these morons parking on the new expensive paving? If so it will be broken in no time.

The pavements around the woodman and adjacent shops have been destroyed by selfish and ignorant motorists. Coupled with the indiscriminate plonking of BT cabinets at bus stops, numerous bike frames that arrived unannounced, and other street clutter,

marymck

Post by marymck »

Come to think of it, maybe they're not bike frames. I'be never seen a bike parked at one. Maybe they're Stephen moffat's latest lurking monster.

marymck

Post by marymck »

, you have to weave your way through these vehicles and other street clutter as though zig zagging through a minefield. How the disabled and elderly cope is an everyday miracle.

Someone will break an ankle or get run over soon.

bensonby

Post by bensonby »

Calm down Marymck! You;ll give yourself an embolism...
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

at that time in the morning would anyone notice if you "accidently" had a key in your hand as you "squeezed" past the side of every car parked on the pavement?

I'm sure they'd stop parking there if they thought that their cars would damaged every time they did - not that I'm condoning criminal damage of course, but keying a car is such a small mindless crime, so easy to perpetrate, and causes such hassle and wasted time and energy and money to the owners of the vehicles that in my opinion would be an ideal deterrent.

put up some signs first though - "warning; park on pavement at owners risk" or something.
raffjones

Post by raffjones »

goonerchamp wrote:I've just got off an N176 on kirkdale/cobbs and I've noticed the at least 15 cars parked on the kerb - belonging to patrons of the club next to the petrol station - now who to I report this to at the council? - its beyond a joke - I had to shimmy in and out of "traffic" on the pavement ! just to walk home - now I know the council probably won't give a toss but its taking the f*king piss !! - dirty scummy hole full of dirty scummy people bringing nothing to Sydenham other than litter and mess !!!!
There's a meeting at the Grove Centre Church at 7pm on Thursday 18th April with the licensing sergeant Jim Abbott to gauge public feeling about the nuisance caused by the presence of the club and the subculture that has grown up around it.

Please do attend if you want to have a chance to air your views to someone who can actually do something about it.

Cheers

gillyjp

Post by gillyjp »

raffjones wrote:
goonerchamp wrote:I've just got off an N176 on kirkdale/cobbs and I've noticed the at least 15 cars parked on the kerb - belonging to patrons of the club next to the petrol station - now who to I report this to at the council? - its beyond a joke - I had to shimmy in and out of "traffic" on the pavement ! just to walk home - now I know the council probably won't give a toss but its taking the f*king piss !! - dirty scummy hole full of dirty scummy people bringing nothing to Sydenham other than litter and mess !!!!
There's a meeting at the Grove Centre Church at 7pm on Thursday 18th April with the licensing sergeant Jim Abbott to gauge public feeling about the nuisance caused by the presence of the club and the subculture that has grown up around it.

Please do attend if you want to have a chance to air your views to someone who can actually do something about it.

We will be attending. We are absolutely fed up with this anti social behaviour and getting woken up be mindless idiots honking their car horns, revving their engines and shouting to their mates at 3, 4, & 5 am. It's a discrace that the local police are allowing this to happen - just turning a blind eye to it. The area is being treated like a private car park for this club with even a 'parking' attendant standing at the top of Spring Hill, directing cars to suitable spaces for their cars. What is wrong with these people? They clearly have absolutely no respect for the local residents - or for themselves for that matter, to carry on like that. If they have been drinking till the early hours they should not even be getting behind the wheels of their cars to drive. All that is needed is for a couple of police cars to be parked outside this place when they all start rolling out at 5.00am - that would shut them up........
JulietP

Post by JulietP »

I despair when I see on this site "why aren't the police doing something about it?". And it appears frequently. I despair for two reasons. First, often the issue is nothing to do with police at all. Noise, parking and nightclub licencing are all the council's responsibility. Not the police's. The public seem to want the police to be on hand in droves to tackle all the ills of society. But when the Government chooses to protect health and education while massively cutting police resources, I don't hear anyone complaining. Which is my second point: Lewisham might only have one or two marked cars on a night shift covering the whole of the borough. Do you really want those scarce resources to be used on crowd control rather than responding to assaults, burglaries and domestic violence?
As Raffjones said: far better to engage with the council on these issues - it is their responsibility after all.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Juliet
I appreciate your comments that the Police cannot do everything. God Bless them. However a few breath tests for alcohol or drugs as they chuck out might be good.

Surely anyway these punters are local and could stroll home.
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

my work colleague, who lives in Stoke Newington, goes to Soca events at this club. She leaves at 6am, and she doesn't drink alcohol or take drugs (but she can quite loud).

- [edit to add] - making the point that clients of the night club don't have to be local, have been drinking, or taken drugs.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

What is special about this club for people to come from Stoke Newington. I assumed just basic night club . But what do I know?

Used to be very respectable Cobb's Coffee Shop for the well to do of Sydenham. Standards are not what they were.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Eagle wrote:Used to be very respectable Cobb's Coffee Shop for the well to do of Sydenham. Standards are not what they were.
Are you the impeccably dressed "older gentleman" who can sometimes be seen standing outside of the Golden Lion?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Mike
Can honestly say I have not stood outside the GL for years . I do not think anyone would class my dress sense as impeccably .
Not sure how this connects with the alleged rowdy evening club for gentlefolk.
Sydenham

Post by Sydenham »

This club is special because its one of the few in London (certainly in Lewisham) with a 5 a.m. license - so that's why people come from all over London to it. When their local clubs close (say at 3 a.m.) they head on down to Sydenham. Police objected to the granting of this license but the council passed it through.

The owner is doing a lot to try to keep things in order - is working hard to keep control, spending a lot of his money on wardens etc. He's invested a lot on the back of being granted a license - whether it should have been granted is open to question - but he's stuck with it, and is trying to build a business on it.

Also I understand the NISA store next door has a 6 a.m. license to sell alcohol - so club members hang around to restock and carry on partying somewhere else (like at home, or in an open space, maybe to watch the sun rise).

Council needs to be challenged and shown the consequences of their actions - they were told this would happen and the prediction has proved correct.