Market Research - Cinema

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

selady
Posts: 2
Joined: 12 Oct 2011 19:35
Location: London

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by selady »

Forest Hill please. Upstairs at the Hob would make a great small cinema venue much like the Brockley Jack which is a small theatre or even the original art deco cinema which is now The Capital - would be great to open upstairs again there - all the original seats are still in place although it is a pub downstairs.... just some thoughts :)

parklife
Posts: 219
Joined: 20 Jan 2006 14:45
Location: se26

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by parklife »

Selady - this is a sydenham website !!!!!!!!!

Rachael
Posts: 2447
Joined: 23 Jan 2010 13:42
Location: Sydenham / Forest Hill Intersection

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by Rachael »

parklife wrote:Selady - this is a sydenham website !!!!!!!!!
Yes, but the survey asked if we would like to see a cinema in Sydenham or Forest Hill. Fair enough to express a preference, especially as this post does not appear on SE23.com. Living equidistant between Sydenham and Forest Hill, I'd be happy with either. :D

michael
Posts: 1273
Joined: 26 Sep 2006 12:56
Location: Forest Hill

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by michael »

[rant]
Apparently I'm unusual in that I don't like going to the cinema. I appreciate watching an action film on the big screen, but it should be properly big without anybody tall sitting in front. The tenancy toward multiplexes means that some cinema screens are just too small for me to properly appreciate. And yet the noise is designed to fill a room four times the size, actually it is not the sound level I object to as much as the rapid transitions from quiet to noisy, which are painful, and make it difficult to have a little snooze.

Then there is the fact that I have to watch the film with a hundred other people, who won't let me pause the film when I go to the toilet, and who don't like me stretching my legs, or wandering about.

Finally I dislike the idea of the cinema as a social experience. When I go out with friends (which is rare enough) I like to have a chat. When we see a film all conversation (after 2 hours of sitting in silence) has to be focused on the film and all the aspects of the plot that they are so clever to have spotted while I was trying to sit comfortably in conditions more cramped than on a plane.
[/Rant over]

But other people like the cinema and there are few enough around. Whether they can exist profitably in the modern high street is another matter, but it would be nice to think they can - if they understand their audience right. A cinema would need to attract people from beyond Sydenham if it were to be successful, so it either needs to be close to the station or with plenty of parking (the second being preferable, especially if showing films that go beyond midnight).

My suggestion would be to build it (purpose built) at Bell Green, where there is plenty of parking and it is a short bus ride from Forest Hill and Sydenham town centres. Wherever it goes it is likely to need a lot of parking if it is successful. Of course a small arts cinema might be more attractive, with less people using it, more middle-class films, and fewer young people (who never want to go to the cinema). There are plenty of appropriate sites for such a genteel establishment (I would add the Windmill to the list already provided).

It would take a brave entrepreneur to open such an establishment, but then we have seen a few new businesses in the local area that have certainly succeeded, in spite of my cowardly attitude. And to anybody considering it I wish you every success.

Rachael
Posts: 2447
Joined: 23 Jan 2010 13:42
Location: Sydenham / Forest Hill Intersection

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by Rachael »

michael wrote:[rant]
Apparently I'm unusual in that I don't like going to the cinema. I appreciate watching an action film on the big screen, but it should be properly big without anybody tall sitting in front. The tenancy toward multiplexes means that some cinema screens are just too small for me to properly appreciate. And yet the noise is designed to fill a room four times the size, actually it is not the sound level I object to as much as the rapid transitions from quiet to noisy, which are painful, and make it difficult to have a little snooze.

Then there is the fact that I have to watch the film with a hundred other people, who won't let me pause the film when I go to the toilet, and who don't like me stretching my legs, or wandering about.

Finally I dislike the idea of the cinema as a social experience. When I go out with friends (which is rare enough) I like to have a chat. When we see a film all conversation (after 2 hours of sitting in silence) has to be focused on the film and all the aspects of the plot that they are so clever to have spotted while I was trying to sit comfortably in conditions more cramped than on a plane.
[/Rant over]

But other people like the cinema and there are few enough around. Whether they can exist profitably in the modern high street is another matter, but it would be nice to think they can - if they understand their audience right. A cinema would need to attract people from beyond Sydenham if it were to be successful, so it either needs to be close to the station or with plenty of parking (the second being preferable, especially if showing films that go beyond midnight).

My suggestion would be to build it (purpose built) at Bell Green, where there is plenty of parking and it is a short bus ride from Forest Hill and Sydenham town centres. Wherever it goes it is likely to need a lot of parking if it is successful. Of course a small arts cinema might be more attractive, with less people using it, more middle-class films, and fewer young people (who never want to go to the cinema). There are plenty of appropriate sites for such a genteel establishment (I would add the Windmill to the list already provided).

It would take a brave entrepreneur to open such an establishment, but then we have seen a few new businesses in the local area that have certainly succeeded, in spite of my cowardly attitude. And to anybody considering it I wish you every success.
Oh dear. I would respectfully suggest that this thread is not aimed at you. As a non-cinema user, you can't be affected either way.

Local cinemas do very well - we patronise both the cinema in Beckenham and the one in Peckham, both of which are essentially part of the high street. The dedicated parking in Beckenham is tiny, and not designed for anything other than very small cars, but it's not a problem, as the multi-storey car park that is used by shoppers during the day is perfect for cinema goers in the evening. My daughter uses the cinema in Peckham with her friends. They get there by bus. Visitors to the Roxy in Brixton have nowhere to park - they use public transport. A medium-sized purpose-built cinema at Bell Green might indeed need parking. I don't think this is what is being suggested. An art-house independent cinema on the high street will be well served by public transport for those who are too far away to walk.

marymck
Posts: 1578
Joined: 9 Feb 2008 16:30
Location: Upper Kirkdale

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by marymck »

My husband and I think the cinema in beckenham is hideously uncomfortable and absolutely filthy. I believe if you open a cinema in sydenham, you'll also attract Beckenham folk.

A cinema was one of the top requests at this week's sydenham assembly, especially amongst the youngsters.t

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Rachael
Posts: 2447
Joined: 23 Jan 2010 13:42
Location: Sydenham / Forest Hill Intersection

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by Rachael »

marymck wrote:My husband and I think the cinema in beckenham is hideously uncomfortable and absolutely filthy.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Really? I can't say that's been my experience. When was the last time you went? Most of the old seats have now been replaced. And I've certainly never found it to be 'filthy'. My friends in Beckenham are all quite happy with it. In any case, I would expect an independent cinema in Sydenham to be offering something different that an Odeon showing main-stream movies. I doubt one will take business from the other.

JRobinson
Posts: 1104
Joined: 5 Jan 2010 12:40
Location: De Frene Rd

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by JRobinson »

We usually go to the multiplex cinema at Surrey Quays, but the other weekend we went to Greenwich Picturehouse. the latter was fantastic, a bar cafe area, lots of films that are not shown at mainstream multiplex, plus some blockbusters, the seats had loads of leg room, and each one reclined if you wanted it to. the screen was large enough, and the seats few enough to make it feel like a proper cinema going experience.

I remember as a child going to the Odeon in Worcester when it was still one screen, with two tiers of seating like in a theatre, maybe a thousand people watching one film, with adverts for other films and then an intermission, 'this is your last chance to buy refreshments before the main event', and young ladies selling ice cream from trays. a seat ticket with your number on it, being shown to your seat by a woman with a torch, etc, etc.

I think a Sydenham 'Picturehouse' would do well, especially with a cafe/licenced bar. - maybe where The Two Halfs used to be? or something new build where that derelict gap is (opposite Snappy snaps?)

southernmoose
Posts: 52
Joined: 9 Jan 2009 18:06
Location: London

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by southernmoose »

Would DEFINITELY go to a reasonably-priced cinema in Sydenham on a regular basis - big gap in the market there!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

dickp
Posts: 567
Joined: 7 Jan 2005 14:39
Location: Cardiff

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by dickp »

Oh, have the seats in Beckenham been replaced? I too used to hate that place, with its cramped and uncomfortable seats, local as it was. Mind you, Bromley was even worse. The foam was popping out of several seats last time I went.

Right now, I alternate between the Ritzy (I like the vibe) and the 02 Greenwich (because Monday night is cheap night for Sky customers and the main screen is HUGE).

Rachael
Posts: 2447
Joined: 23 Jan 2010 13:42
Location: Sydenham / Forest Hill Intersection

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by Rachael »

dickp wrote:Oh, have the seats in Beckenham been replaced? I too used to hate that place, with its cramped and uncomfortable seats, local as it was. Mind you, Bromley was even worse. The foam was popping out of several seats last time I went.

Right now, I alternate between the Ritzy (I like the vibe) and the 02 Greenwich (because Monday night is cheap night for Sky customers and the main screen is HUGE).
Yup, seats were replaced at least a year ago, if not more. Before that, my OH, at 6 foot tall and all legs, refused to go there but now finds it perfectly comfortable.

bensonby
Posts: 1650
Joined: 18 Jun 2008 12:28
Location: Kent

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by bensonby »

I enjoy the cinema but gave up going a few years ago: I find them an absolute rip-off now... how can I justify paying over £20 for me and the mrs to go to the cinema to watch something on a small screen? I personally think anything above £6 to £7 is a ripoff.

That said, I believe it is still the case that Lewisham is the only London borough without a cinema. That is a disgrace. Also, arguably more disgracefully Lewisham Council had for a long time a few years ago the lie that cinema in the borough was "thriving" - http://web.archive.org/web/200804170635 ... Cinema.htm

nosinnerlliw
Posts: 6
Joined: 28 Mar 2013 20:15
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by nosinnerlliw »

Yes please.
A cinema would be amazing. A variety of major flicks and less main stream films would tickle the fancy of many a south east Londoner.
Fin.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Emc
Posts: 39
Joined: 17 May 2013 10:20
Location: London

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by Emc »

Hi, I would absolutely love to have a local cinema further down Sydenham High Road towards the community library direction as it would be a really fantastic way to regenerate that area whilst still being close to the action. I've lived close to a Picturehouse in the past (a 3 minute walk) and absolutely loved being able to spontaniously see a film and have a lovely easy evening. It would be great to have a good variety of films - I like that the Picturehouse show a mix of mainstream, documentary and arts films. I would be happy to pay up to £9 for good new weekend films and about £6 or £7 for mid-week films. But whatever the price of tickets, I'll be sure to show my support. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for this! :)

mumandplum
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Jun 2013 21:34
Location: Sydenham

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by mumandplum »

This is a brilliant idea and as a fairly new local in Sydenham, both myself and my partner would really welcome a new cinema to the area. We are avid film goers and currently still go down The Ritzy in Brixton but would change that in a heart beat if you were to locate a new independent cinema in Sydenham. Please please do consider!!

SepticSkeptic
Posts: 129
Joined: 5 Jan 2012 22:35
Location: SE26

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by SepticSkeptic »

Would be great to have 'picture house' style cinema.

I'd also support anywhere that doesn't sell popcorn! :twisted:

Infact the choice of food: Nothing harder than a soft roll with no filling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf

Tim Lund
Posts: 6714
Joined: 13 Mar 2008 18:10
Location: Silverdale

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by Tim Lund »

SepticSkeptic wrote: I'd also support anywhere that doesn't sell popcorn! :twisted:

Infact the choice of food: Nothing harder than a soft roll with no filling.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/films/code_of_conduct.pdf
So I'm not the only one - I wrote much the same when I filled in the survey :)

saskia
Posts: 1
Joined: 2 Jul 2013 14:53
Location: uk

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by saskia »

Hi Craig at The Film Mill

Survey completed. I think it would be great if you posted information about this on the http://www.se23.com site so people who are registered there can also comment for Forest Hill. I think this cinema is an amazing idea and I think it would get the full support of the local community and also those in surrounding areas. At the moment the closest independent cinema is in brixton and if this was located in one of a number of the great potential sites around forest hill it would do really well.

I cant wait to find out what is going to happen!

My vote is Forest hill please.

alexgbishop
Posts: 1
Joined: 2 Jul 2013 16:17
Location: Sydenham

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by alexgbishop »

Yes! Great idea, there can only ever be too few cinemas. Regular (and well selected) intros/Q+As at screenings would be fantastic too. Survey completed.

And Sydenham please!

phiulcarter71
Posts: 1
Joined: 4 Jul 2013 08:31
Location: Sydenham

Re: Market Research - Cinema

Post by phiulcarter71 »

Sydenham please, an independent cinema would be fantastic

Post Reply