O2 Telephone Mast

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Helen77

O2 Telephone Mast

Post by Helen77 »

Being a close neighbour we have received notice of a planning application made by O2 for a 15 meter high “Flexicall column with shrouded antennas” on the pavement opposite 43 Westwood Hill.

I want to oppose this telephone mast strongly and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to if there is anything else I can do other than putting my feelings in writing to the council?
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

What is your objection?

I would have thought that unless you are intent in climbing the post - the impact would be rather masked by the emr from the rather larger mast at the top of Westwood Hill. Or is it the visual intrusion?
Helen77

Post by Helen77 »

As well as being visual (we are only a few doors up) it will have a adverse affect on the value our flat and its desirability when we come to sell. I dont think I would fancy buying a property slap bang in front of a 50 foot telephone mast....
Paddy Pantsdown

Post by Paddy Pantsdown »

Aha - then they may be a much better solution for you or your neighbours. Why not offer to rent O2 your roof? They can put something very discrete there and you would get a useful rental income and you would be the only people not to see it.

Checkout the ´flagpole´ attached to The Golden Lion. That´s actually a 3G transmitter for the ´3´ network. Maybe a flagpole would not suit your home and I would have thought that St Bart´s Church Tower would have been a better spot to cover Westwood Hill. Nothing I can see there yet and I gather they are in desperate need of money again. Surely a heavenly solution?

Anybody from the PCC here?
leaf

Post by leaf »

Helen do you have a mobile phone?
Blushingsnail

Post by Blushingsnail »

Helen: Lewisham Council have a webpage giving details of how to comment on planning applications. They also list invalid objections and unfortunately loss of value in your home is one of them.

http://www.lewisham.gov.uk/Environment/ ... ations.htm
michael

Post by michael »

There was a recent victory for a campaign against local phone mast reported by Southwark councillor (East Dulwich), Richard Thomas
http://cllrrthomas.wordpress.com/2007/0 ... -defeated/

Importantly 'The Inspector agreed with local people and councilors that the mast would have an adverse impact on pedestrian convenience, resulting in ‘street clutter’ and would be harmful to pedestrian safety.'

You might want to consider how heavily used this pavement is, particularly by young people, people with pushchairs, and people with reduced mobility. I don't know the section of the road but I am sure you can find a good argument here.

It may be worth contacting Richard to find out more about how their campaign was successful. His email address is on his blog.
Helen77

Post by Helen77 »

leaf wrote:Helen do you have a mobile phone?
Yes I do and I see your point - but like I said the application is to put a 50 foot mast on the pavement opposite the front of our house. :shock:
I can't imagine anyone who wouldn't find this rather alarming.

Many thanks for the advice, it has given me something to go on - i know other residents feel the same although I suspect we will just have to resign ourselves to getting a new 'vista' :(
leaf

Post by leaf »

Can you not think of it as another lamppost?

also,if you take a walk around the roads near where you live you might be surprised to see how many of these masts there are already,you will quite probably not have noticed them.

Hopefully it wont blight your view too much.