Co-Op down

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
stone-penge

Co-Op down

Post by stone-penge »

Whats the deal with the Co-Op? Is a closure or refit? Didn't see any notice of this last time I went in .
stuart

Re: Co-Op down

Post by stuart »

Yes there were posters. Closed yesterday re-opens July 19th I think.

Stuart
stone-penge

Post by stone-penge »

Ah , must of missed them, I see that the poky little tescos is almost finished ,maybe they are re modelling in order to see off the competition, but if the Tescos is like the one up at Kirkdale they shouldn't have much to worry about, that shop is the most depressing, life sapping place I've ever visited.The atmosphere inside reminded me off signing on at the DHSS offices in the 1980s: A kind of dark aura of resignation and apathy, it really was quite unbelievable.
marymck

Post by marymck »

And quite how the kirkdale Tesco got so dirty so quickly is amazing really.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
angela53

Post by angela53 »

The Costcutter on Sydenham Road looked terrible, has it closed for good?
multisync

Post by multisync »

Tesco in Kirkdale is a pile of crap! Horrible stock, staff and cleanliness. Saying that Co-op is expensive,would rather use Waitrose at there prices.Some of the staff have been there since Safeway ! and are not very customer orientated, barring Antonette and Elaine, who is a real star !!!! :D
Hope after the refurb they are better.
dickp

Post by dickp »

Sometimes I think I must live in an alternative reality version of Sydenham to some of you lot. There's nothing wrong with Tesco Kirkdale. It's clean, well stocked, bright, and popular. And a darned sight nicer to shop in than either Payless or Costcutter.
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

Had to take a moment to say that I think the staff in the Co-op are absolutely fantastic. In nearly four years of living in Sydenham, every time I shop there they are always polite, helpful and friendly, but not in a plastic, McDonalds way. They're also very focussed on getting the queues down quickly.

As to them being expensive, speaking as someone with a very thin purse, not only do I think their prices are ok, but unlike a lot of supermarkets at least they do "proper" reductions - not 10p off here or there. Many's the time I've picked up duck breasts or sea bass in there slashed to less than £2 and gone skipping down the road rubbing my hands with glee!

Conversely I try and avoid the big Sainsbury on Bell Green as the staff make me too angry. I can tell you where every single person working on the cigarette counter is going on their holidays; they never ever pause their conversation when serving you.

The Post Office is pretty good for that too: last Christmas the woman serving me didn't look up as she chatted away to her co-worker: "I got him one of those big fluffy dressing gowns from Sainsbury - something really nice and comforting, y'know? And guess what he got me - ten quid's worth of M&S vouchers. Bastard."

Still, at least that made me smile...
Ronski

Post by Ronski »

Walking past there last night it looked like a total refit. The shelf orientation had all been rotated 90 degrees. It's looked a bit shabby for a while so this good they are investing in the store.

I agree the staff here on the whole are friendly and efficient, hopefully they get a better range of stock there after the refit.

Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hearing various people speak up for the CoOp prompted me to chip in my penn'orth.
It is pointless comparing them to Waitrose and I wish people wouldn't .
Waitrose is an excellent shop but one you don't need every day . The CoOp is perfectly adequate for daily needs and is fairly well run with in my view pleasant and helpful staff . Unlike Tesco and Sainsburys I believe I would line up with the CoOp against a sea of bloodsucking corporate giants that suck the blood out of this country without trying to put anything back.
In their quiet way the CoOp has done much for ethical trading , not least of all banking and I welcome them in our high street . Unlike Tesco whom I despise and will not use - ever.
A very good evening
Nigel

marymck

Post by marymck »

I've always found the coop staff very friendly and helpful. Though I do wish they would clean those plastic baskets occasionally.

Waitrose isn't what it was. Too many of the staff (sorry, partners) have a very bad attitude. I was recently talking to an elderly lady who had been treated so badly by an assistant in bromley that she was left in tears, and she can never bear to shop in waitrose again. It chokes me up now when I think how that "partner" humiliated that poor lady.

And did you know that if you buy electrical goods in waitrose and they break after three months you have to send them, at your own expense, direct to the manufacturer? That's not the case with john Lewis. But as a particularly surly "partner" in beckenham told me, waitrose has its own rules. I found that out the hard way, when my overpriced microwave broke three months and one day after I bought it.

You get a year with Sainsburys to return microwave ovens to the store if they develop a fault. And they're cheaper.

John Lewis must be spinning in his box.

alywin

Post by alywin »

Ronski wrote:Walking past there last night it looked like a total refit. The shelf orientation had all been rotated 90 degrees. It's looked a bit shabby for a while so this good they are investing in the store.
I am so relieved to hear(?) you say that: I was in there the other day (haven't been there much since I moved here), and thought it looked like a right dump - was moaning about it only the other day. Having had my three formerly closest Co-Ops revamped over the last few years, I can say that they have all been a great improvement on previous versions, so I am desperately hoping it will here, too.
GraceBrooks

Post by GraceBrooks »

I am hoping that a Sainsbury's gets approval and opens where that dump pub The Windmill is on Kirkdale. Seriously that pub is awful a Sainsburys will be a breath of fresh air there! Prefer Sainsburys to Tesco etc- good quality and well priced.
wrightie

Post by wrightie »

marymck wrote:And did you know that if you buy electrical goods in waitrose and they break after three months you have to send them, at your own expense, direct to the manufacturer? That's not the case with john Lewis. But as a particularly surly "partner" in beckenham told me, waitrose has its own rules. I found that out the hard way, when my overpriced microwave broke three months and one day after I bought it.
Off topic... Waitrose aren't exempt from the Sale of Goods Act, the "partner" was spouting nonsense! It's not unreasonable to expect a microwave to offer a year of fault free service, hence it would be covered by the act. In situations like this, it's worth throwing the act into the discussion, it's a very powerful consumer friendly piece of legislation.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

I"m surprised by this, never had a problem with John Lewis or Waitrose.
marymck

Post by marymck »

GraceBrooks wrote:I am hoping that a Sainsbury's gets approval and opens where that dump pub The Windmill is on Kirkdale. Seriously that pub is awful a Sainsburys will be a breath of fresh air there! Prefer Sainsburys to Tesco etc- good quality and well priced.
Why are you so anti the windmill, Grace? This is the second thread you've had a go at them on. Have you had a bad experience? All pubs can have the odd incident. All I can say is that it now has a very good, experienced manager and staff. I feel very happy going in there alone and have never witnessed any problems.

It's friendly, welcoming and unpretentious.

Back to the question of Sainsburys. We already in a stretch of about 100 yards have a Tesco, a costcutter, a Londis and the wonderful ram store. Ram's was the only food store locally that kept open during the riots. I'm not sure RAM's would survive a price war between Tesco and Sainsburys on their doorstep. We need a balanced high street and that was what the Portas pilot set out to achieve.

But if Sainsburys are determined to open a fifth store in the area (bell green, penge, forest hill and the greyhound) they don't have to pub grab to do it. There's an empty store of similar size just two doors away..

marymck

Post by marymck »

wrightie wrote:
marymck wrote:And did you know that if you buy electrical goods in waitrose and they break after three months you have to send them, at your own expense, direct to the manufacturer? That's not the case with john Lewis. But as a particularly surly "partner" in beckenham told me, waitrose has its own rules. I found that out the hard way, when my overpriced microwave broke three months and one day after I bought it.
Off topic... Waitrose aren't exempt from the Sale of Goods Act, the "partner" was spouting nonsense! It's not unreasonable to expect a microwave to offer a year of fault free service, hence it would be covered by the act. In situations like this, it's worth throwing the act into the discussion, it's a very powerful consumer friendly piece of legislation.
I did actually get a refund in the end by going via head office. But they insisted it was a "gesture of goodwill". The sale of goods act is a great one to quote, thank you. I'm afraid at the time the injustice rather stumped me, the red mist came down and though I knew there was some legal support all I could think was "this isn't fair".

GraceBrooks

Post by GraceBrooks »

Mary I just think its an awful pub, decor, crowd. I ate a roast there once it was is vile- cold. The pub just offends me especially when I have walked passed their on a weekend, ive seen fights outside a while ago. I am local to it but I go to The East Dulwich Tavern now, food is good- nicer crowd. Now if The Windmiil was turned into a pub such as EDT then it would welcome a better clientele also make our area better & more affluent. That is why I would rather a Sainsburys or Waitrose there then the current pub.

marymck

Post by marymck »

GraceBrooks wrote:Mary I just think its an awful pub, decor, crowd. I ate a roast there once it was is vile- cold. The pub just offends me especially when I have walked passed their on a weekend, ive seen fights outside a while ago. I am local to it but I go to The East Dulwich Tavern now, food is good- nicer crowd. Now if The Windmiil was turned into a pub such as EDT then it would welcome a better clientele also make our area better & more affluent. That is why I would rather a Sainsburys or Waitrose there then the current pub.
I'm sorry the pub and its crowd offend you and I'm glad you've found somewhere more to your taste. Unfortunately a lot of the traditional working class residents if the upper kirkdale area are feeling rather squeezed out of their home patch since the rebranding if the area. The windmill is one if those few places where many, particularly the older generation, feel accepted and comfortable. As I've said before, sydenham should be big hearted enough to cater for the tastes of all its residents, including those traditional, long standing sydenhamites who have lived here for generations, for many of whom the windmill is their local.

Luckily we're now catering for most with our the food shops. I hope our pubs keep their separate identities to cater for all, whether they're our "crowd" or not.

Sadly, the windmill hasn't been able to produce its popular roasts for ages, due to problems with the cooker, which the owners refused to repair as they wouldn't invest any money in the pub.(hence also the decor, which I don't think anybody likes) I'm sorry you had a bad experience with the food, perhaps it was when the cooker started to go wrong.

When you say you witnessed fights outside, when was this? Did you report them? I haven't heard of any trouble for years. Certainly nothing since the current manager took over.

Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

GraceBrooks wrote:Now if The Windmiil was turned into a pub such as EDT then it would welcome a better clientele also make our area better & more affluent. That is why I would rather a Sainsburys or Waitrose there then the current pub.

I really find this 'ship the riff raff out' attitude unbearable. This isn't East Dulwich. Live with it.