Mayow Road vet

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
MT4

Mayow Road vet

Post by MT4 »

Hi,

We've recently got a couple of kittens and are looking to get them registered at a local vet. Has anyone ever used the one on Mayow Road? Would you recommend it?

On a side note, does anyone have any genius ideas for helping indoor cats stay cool during this hot weather?!

Thanks!!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Robin Orton

Re: Mayow Road vet

Post by Robin Orton »

MT4 wrote:Has anyone ever used the one on Mayow Road? Would you recommend it?
Yes and yes - for dogs and a cat.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Mayow Road Vets are absolutely fantastic. Dedicated, knowledgable, and caring.

I don't know about indoor cats, but my outdoor cats sleep inside for most of the day when it's really hot and they seem happy enough.

hazy

Post by hazy »

i use brian at parish lane - v down-to-earth & sensible antipodean - i've heard mayow rd is good but on the pricey side - but that may be people moaning for moaning's sake (surely not!)
just make sure the cats have access to plenty of fresh water - some cats like drinking from a drippy tap (mine prefer filthy stagnant pond water)
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

rod taylor wrote:Yes and yes.

We felt we kept our cat in too long when we first got him. Battersea recommended 6 months which looking back on it felt a little excessive.
Depends - if they are female kittens, you need to wait until they are spayed, which is usually at six months.

Older cats only need a week or so if it is for orientation.

Plenty of water and they'll be fine, even in this weather. Mine have discovered that the shower drips, which means dirty paw prints in the shower tray. Also drinking an extra bowl of water each day - not just because they are more thirsty, but because there is no water outside that they can drink (water in the garden tastes much better than fresh water to my two).
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

I have a niece who's a vet. I'm hoping one day she'll tell me of a good book on cat psychology.

catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

MT4 wrote:Hi,

We've recently got a couple of kittens and are looking to get them registered at a local vet. Has anyone ever used the one on Mayow Road? Would you recommend it?

On a side note, does anyone have any genius ideas for helping indoor cats stay cool during this hot weather?!

Thanks!!

Have used in the past. Very expensive although they are offering vaccinations for a ten quid at the moment but I suspect that is only because they are about to get some strong competition when Pets at Home opens down the road.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

catfordlad wrote:
Have used in the past. Very expensive although they are offering vaccinations for a ten quid at the moment but I suspect that is only because they are about to get some strong competition when Pets at Home opens down the road.
I think Pets At Home will be competition for Whites Pet Stores rather than Mayow Vets, which only carry a very small range of retail items.

catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

Rachael wrote:
catfordlad wrote:
I think Pets At Home will be competition for Whites Pet Stores rather than Mayow Vets, which only carry a very small range of retail items.

Good. Whites is a rip off and the staff are rude and unhelpful.

Pets at Home will have an instore Veterinary Practice which is why they will be strong competition for Mayow.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Ah, I see. Well, I'll still go to Mayow Road Vets because I have had exemplary care there for my pets and there is such a thing as loyalty.

Out of interest, catfordlad, which of the current local vets would you recommend, if not Mayow?
simon

Post by simon »

Can't believe catfordlad's comment about Whites. I've always found them very helpful and friendly. Can't speak about Mayo's cat care but I will always have Tony Rodger's caring for my greyhounds. He was a track vet at Catford and Wimbledon and really understands the breed. His treatment advice when they have had problems has always been what's best for the dog and what is best for me, not what will make him the most money.
dmhawk

Post by dmhawk »

I use Mayow for my two cats. I don't know about them being expensive, I thought it was standard rates. But, I've never felt rushed when I'm there. The vets take their time, answer questions and are very helpful!
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

Rachael wrote:Ah, I see. Well, I'll still go to Mayow Road Vets because I have had exemplary care there for my pets and there is such a thing as loyalty.

Out of interest, catfordlad, which of the current local vets would you recommend, if not Mayow?
Animal Clinic Catford
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

simon wrote:Can't believe catfordlad's comment about Whites. I've always found them very helpful and friendly. Can't speak about Mayo's cat care but I will always have Tony Rodger's caring for my greyhounds. He was a track vet at Catford and Wimbledon and really understands the breed. His treatment advice when they have had problems has always been what's best for the dog and what is best for me, not what will make him the most money.
Not sure why you can't believe my comment as its accurate..

Also Whites sell animals for commercial profit which is a disgrace when all the local animal charities are bursting with pets that need loving homes.
hazy

Post by hazy »

white's is great.
simon

Post by simon »

Catfordlad
The reason why I can't believe your comment is because of my own experience with Whites, which I explained. I think you may have another agenda; that they now sell some animals. You say "all the local animal charities are bursting with pets that need loving homes." but Whites only sell small mammals (hamsters, rabbits etc), tropical fish and birds. Is there a local hamster rescue place that is desperately looking for homes for people to adopt discarded hamsters, or tropical fish, or rabbits? I've always found the staff at Whites friendly and helpful and I would be interested to hear how your experiences have differed from mine.
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

hazy wrote:white's is great.
What is great about it?
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

simon wrote:Catfordlad
The reason why I can't believe your comment is because of my own experience with Whites, which I explained. I think you may have another agenda; that they now sell some animals. You say "all the local animal charities are bursting with pets that need loving homes." but Whites only sell small mammals (hamsters, rabbits etc), tropical fish and birds. Is there a local hamster rescue place that is desperately looking for homes for people to adopt discarded hamsters, or tropical fish, or rabbits? I've always found the staff at Whites friendly and helpful and I would be interested to hear how your experiences have differed from mine.
I don't have an agenda at all but I am deeply concerned about animal welfare.

I could list all the local animal rescues that are full to bursting with unwanted pets but are you really that interested bearing in mind you were quick to jump to the defence of Whites who sell animals to make a commercial profit.

Anyway for a starter here is one:

http://gbhrescue.webs.com/

Pages and pages of unwanted animals looking for a new home:

http://gbhrescue.webs.com/apps/photos/
hazy

Post by hazy »

whites is great because the staff are committed, helpful, knowledgeable & lovely. also isaac's a star. also it's rather popular with pet-minded sydenham folk - who may just know their stuff.
rescued animals are not for the everyone - the long term consequences of neglect or ill-treatment may be permanent, and serious, contrary to the happy-ever-after stories so popular with the media.
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

hazy wrote:whites is great because the staff are committed, helpful, knowledgeable & lovely. also isaac's a star. also it's rather popular with pet-minded sydenham folk - who may just know their stuff.
rescued animals are not for the everyone - the long term consequences of neglect or ill-treatment may be permanent, and serious, contrary to the happy-ever-after stories so popular with the media.
Talk about scraping the bottom of the barrel....

I'm sure the animals that are currently sitting inside a dark and very hot shop on Sydenham Road with no supervision from the hours of 6pm - 9am would suffer detrimental health problems resulting in a short life span caused by major distress.