Tesco Sydenham Road Now Open

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Re: Tesco Sydenham Road Now Open

Post by Nigel »

HairyBuddha
You have proved my point - twice in the same week .
You have immediately stereotyped anyone that feels strongly about employment of British people as " Torygraph".
Essentially you have taken a "liberal position "which is to attack with whatever modest means you have , any view that doesn't confirm to yours . I don't think Eagle or Bradord road mentioned the Telegraph, I don't happen to read it but yet it was a convenient cipher for anything you didn't agree with . I am quite resigned to your inevitable and no doubt hilarious parody of me but you would be wrong in the extreme . I am a strong believer in more equal distribution of wealth , a secure welfare system that incentivises people to work and of course a job for everyone fit to work - with no opt out . This means that employers need to do their part by encouraging local people to take jobs . If you look at the Tesco situation in question , they have made life extremely difficult for people by relocation , rescued security and poorer conditions . They would not do that without economic migrants prepared to step in to the breach.
It comes down to the relative wages - you put up with a lot if you are getting 5 times what you would earn at home but if you live here and have a family it is not a very happy lot - which is why so many of Tesco's employees are up in arms . Perhaps they too read the Telegraph ?
Good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Nigel, I agree with your post . It has again been on Breakfast TV , but again some dispute of the facts.

What the likes of HB cannot understand when attacking us is we are standing up for the native unemployed. He , I assume , has got a comfortable middle class job which is well protected and even if he was made redundant would get a good pay off,

I think we need the entire indisputed facts in full

Have a good day , all.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Oh for Goodness sake Nigel. Let's take this slowly, shall we?

Eagle said:
I think their alleged policy of advertising in Polish only an absolute disgrace . They should not even be advertising in Polish as well as English......
Tesco and Next both opened new distribution centres advertising only in Poland
I asked:
Can you point to any link or article that proves that Tesco are advertising only in Poland or Polish?
Eagle said:
I will reserve judgement until clarified . I am sure it will be in a day or two
My post that referenced "Torygraph" was unrelated. But I hope you and Eagle read the linked article. I am not attacking anyone, and I wasn't attacking Eagle. And I wasn't taking a "Liberal" position, whatever that is.

You said:
I am a strong believer in more equal distribution of wealth , a secure welfare system that incentivises people to work and of course a job for everyone fit to work
You seem to assume that I disagree with that just because I asked Eagle to clarify his comments re Tesco. A bit silly, no?

You then said:
If you look at the Tesco situation in question , they have made life extremely difficult for people by relocation , rescued security and poorer conditions . They would not do that without economic migrants prepared to step in to the breach.
It comes down to the relative wages - you put up with a lot if you are getting 5 times what you would earn at home but if you live here and have a family it is not a very happy lot - which is why so many of Tesco's employees are up in arms
Perhaps you're right. There certainly seems to be some substance to those claims. But, are they "advertising only in Poland and Polish" as Eagle suggests. Probably not. Actually, that is not even what Labour are accusing them of.
Eagle wrote:we are standing up for the native unemployed.
Fascinating and good for you. Do tell me more about your campaign...?
Eagle wrote:...HB...has got a comfortable middle class job which is well protected and even if he was made redundant would get a good pay off,
You don't know anything about me Eagle. But even if that were true, would it make me less entitled to comment on this subject? Next time you see an article like this, do a little bit of digging, do a little bit of background reading before coming on here and making a fool of yourself again.
michael

Post by michael »

hairybuddha wrote:Can you point to any link or article that proves that Tesco are advertising only in Poland or Polish?
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... cheap.html
Telegraph wrote: Mr Bryant is then due to accuse Next, which has around 540 British stores and employs about 54,500 people, the large majority of them in the UK, of targeting cheap imported Labour using leaflets printed in Polish.

Extracts from his speech say: “Look at Next PLC, who last year brought 500 Polish workers to work in their South Elmsall [West Yorkshire] warehouse for their summer sale and another 300 this summer.

“They were recruited in Poland and charged £50 to find them accommodation. The advantage to Next? They get to avoid Agency Workers Regulations which apply after a candidate has been employed for over 12 weeks, so Polish temps end up considerably cheaper than the local workforce which includes many former Next employees.”
hairybuddha wrote:Perhaps you're right. There certainly seems to be some substance to those claims. But, are they "advertising only in Poland and Polish" as Eagle suggests. Probably not. Actually, that is not even what Labour are accusing them of.
The source is precisely the draft speech by a Labour politician. Whether there is any truth is, as all have said, still disputed.
hairybuddha wrote:Next time you see an article like this, do a little bit of digging, do a little bit of background reading before coming on here and making a fool of yourself again.
In this case I'm not sure Eagle can be accused of any greater naivety than frontbench politicians and journalists, who also seem to be a little short on digging. To help with this I have sent a request to http://fullfact.org/ to find out the truth behind any claims as I think it is an issue of interest beyond STF.

I hope nobody will accuse me of agreeing with anything else Eagle has written. I too wish he would provide sources for his claims, especially when many are completely made up and badly mis-represented. I'm not convinced that this is one of those occasions.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I try not to comment until the ad hominems get thrown by both sides. They have and history suggests they will swamp out the topic. In Town Hall can we please keep to the argument and drop the insults or I will.

The Pub is there if you want a punch-up.

Admin
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Michael - Eagle is accusing them of recruiting only in Poland and only in Polish. Clearly he is wrong. This is the only thing that I have taken issue with before everyone started piling in. Tesco are no angels but most of the attacks that appear on here ("cancer inducing sludge" being my favourite) have no basis in fact.
CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

Do people really believe Tesco are not guilty of exploiting cheap labor?

Now may I ask you to cast your thoughts back to when they were guilty of offering experience only possitions to people who were long term unemploye without ever having to offer anyone a job?

Tesco is a place I wont shop at reguardless, they do seem to be one embroiled in controversy relating to the way they seek employees.

I put HB in the No... Never? camp relating to all things dodgy, his faith in human nature defies logic, not a dig or looking for a punch up just saying how I see things.

I really do think we have a problem with employers exploiting the cheap end of the workforce, I've mentioned this in the past on here and see this as a very real problem.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

mikecg wrote: I put HB in the No... Never? camp relating to all things dodgy, his faith in human nature defies logic, not a dig or looking for a punch up just saying how I see things.
Get your eyes tested then.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... gn-workers

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danho ... hypocrisy/

Is this the first time in history that a politician has gone on the radio to debunk his own speech before he has even made it? :roll:
CaptainCarCrash

hairybuddha wrote:http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013 ... gn-workers

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/danho ... hypocrisy/

Is this the first time in history that a politician has gone on the radio to debunk his own speech before he has even made it? :roll:
What is your vested interest, defender of the evil corporate giant?

Tesco do not pay at the best of times but OK if you're on your way to the dizzying heights of global eliteism however proper shite if you're a bit of a slacker or academically challenged.

Come on HB, less speil more spill.

Edit to add: Part of the problem is public perception and at the moment their image as an employer seems tarnished. For all we know the story could have a level of truth behind it, what with party whips and politicians interests outside of parliament who knows what the truth is? There is no smoke without fire however this Labour politician is veering dangerously close to ruining his own political rep and has made himself look a bit of a twunt. You'd like to think that people at this level of political posturing would at least do proper research. The man is obviously an idiot.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

mikecg wrote:
What is your vested interest, defender of the evil corporate giant?
:roll:
mikecg wrote:Tesco do not pay at the best of times
That one has just beaten "cancer inducing sludge" into second place.
mikecg wrote:For all we know the story could have a level of truth behind it, what with party whips and politicians interests outside of parliament who knows what the truth is? There is no smoke without fire
Yes, you might be right. But do I really need to repeat myself again? All I have done on this thread is challenge Eagle's claim that Tesco are advertising only in Poland and only in Polish
CaptainCarCrash

HB if for what ever reason you find yourself in a court of law be glad Eagle wont be whitness for the prosecution or part of the jury.

:lol:

As for Tesco I wouldn't put it past them and they probably would if they thought they could get away with it.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

HB

You are persistent , I give you that.
Ventured to Kente this morning and come back to realms of mails.

I thought I had already said that the facts were possibly in dispute and could we await clarification. Certainly one part of the article seemed to infer they were recruiting overseas, but maybe I misunderstood.

Do have a lovely afternoon.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

You misunderstood.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

HB
Guardian 12th August
Front page - right hand column. Thanks for your highly illuminating comments about my character if not the more interesting area of employment and multinationals
A very good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

That's weird. I could have sworn that I'd seen all those products the last time I was in Sainsbury's... and Waitrose... and Aldi...... and Morrisons....... and PFC........

We have a huge problem in the developed world with additives in processed food. But to single out Tesco is nonsense.
CaptainCarCrash

Kid! What's for dinner mum?

Mum! Cancer inducing sludge.

Kid! Yum! my favourite.

Kid! Wos for pudding?

Mum! Yet more cancer inducing sludge.

Kid! Great, I love yoiu mum. Your cancer inducing sludge dinners a the best.

Mum! Yes son, now stop talking and finnish up your slymuck.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

There must be nearly 10% of the shelf space in Tesco Sydenham devoted to fresh fruit and veg. Take the blinkers off.

The PFC sell all the same rubbish as any other supermarket. It just gets it from different wholesalers.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Just returned from Tesco (Not the Sydenham one!). Yes, I do realise this makes me 'The Anti-Christ' in the
eyes of some. Thought in fairness to all I should post my findings:

100's of Eastern European staff running around the store all very cleverly putting on London accents! I'm sure
I even recognise a couple of them from my Schooldays but they're not fooling me! They were all brought in
from Poland last week and after a crash course in 'How to sound like a Londoner' and 'How to immitate Brad's
mate from Schooldays' let loose in the Welling store in a crafty attempt to fool me! :lol: :lol:

That's it for now - Off to enjoy some Sludge! MMMmmm!
Last edited by 14BradfordRoad on 13 Aug 2013 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Thank you for sharing the fact that you can't tell the difference between a shop and a distribution centre. Or was there some other point you were making :?

Stuart