Tesco Sydenham Road Now Open

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
catfordlad

Tesco Sydenham Road Now Open

Post by catfordlad »

Is now open.

Staff are busy on the high street handing out leaflets.

It also looks like Costcutter is about to re-open.
stuart

Re: Tesco Sydenham Road Now Open

Post by stuart »

Co-op re-opens Thursday (18th) with free cake for Co-op members.
Up yours, big T!

Stuart
G-Man

Post by G-Man »

stuart wrote:Co-op re-opens Thursday (18th) with free cake for Co-op members.
Up yours, big T!
Ha ha! Excellent! The new Co-op looks like it's going to be smashing. A bit more like the ED store I reckon.

G-Man
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

The campaign went well then?
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

What is the Costcutter opening as? Surely not as Costcutter?
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

leenewham wrote:What is the Costcutter opening as? Surely not as Costcutter?
They have paid their electricity bill so will be re-opening.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Now how on EARTH could they have ended up with such a HUGE electricity bill?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I thought The COOP were in financial difficulty. What is it with free gateaux's
stuart

Post by stuart »

That's the bank not the supermarket. And it hasn't required a massive state bailout yet a la RBS, Lloyds & Barclays.
So things are tight which means no champagne this time. But at least they can still afford to pay a dividend :o

Stuart
marymck

Post by marymck »

leenewham wrote:Now how on EARTH could they have ended up with such a HUGE electricity bill?
Duh? What have I missed? what's the electricity bill story?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

leenewham wrote:Now how on EARTH could they have ended up with such a HUGE electricity bill?
Basement horticulture, or so it is extensively rumoured ;-)

Regards
Chris
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

Did anyone else see the sign in the new Tesco window a few days ago?

It said something like 'Tesco - helping and caring for the local community' or some such, but over four or five lines.
I meant to post about it, but the next day the poster was replaced with a red one saying something else.

my thoughts at the time were 'what complete ball 'ocks! Tesco have never cared for the local community! They care about making money at whatever cost, so a bit of greenwashing, or local community involvement to boost profits all counts! but any profit they make isn't channelled back into the local community. What a effin joke! they know that large out of town stores are not where the profit margins are at anymore, and they're pushing smaller 'metro' stores to get onto hight streets, and into smaller towns and villages.

yes I'll admit that I do sometimes shop at Tesco, however I will do my utmost to try not to shop at this one on our high street, and take my custom to the other local shops instead, where possible. There's nothing that they're selling that can't be bought elsewhere on the high street, for either less money, of higher quality, lower carbon footprint, fewer food miles, etc.

Shop ethically! Avoid T£sco!
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Stuart
I was not aware that Barclays had taken a UK Government Bail Out, but of course I must be mistaken
catfordlad

Post by catfordlad »

The bill was around £30,000 due to problems with the previous tenant.
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

I know that Tesco is a pretty obvious bogeyman and people like to criticise them (not without justification in some cases) but I would like to reiterate my support for this store. I'm happy that it's now open and look forward to popping in for some "cancer inducing sludge" (I think that was the hyperbolic phrase that the campaign used).

Tesco do a lot in the community in addition to creating jobs and I am delighted that they have cleaned up the space around that unit which was a yawning great eyesore on the High St.
stuart

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:Stuart
I was not aware that Barclays had taken a UK Government Bail Out, but of course I must be mistaken
You are mistaken. Who said they had?

Do you not remember when they had to be bailed out they declined the UK Government offer made in the best interests of our country for Qatar? And we know why. Could it be that gang of incompetent greedy, fraudsters, vagabonds and thieves find autocratic misogynous despots more congenial friends?

Some describe the destruction of shareholder value, cheating their own customers and a sellout to foreigners a disgrace. But I'm not so bitter :wink:

Stuart
borderpaul

Post by borderpaul »

Like Costcutter, Tesco are also facing a bill of at least £30,000 for some unwanted activity at one of their shops. Hopefully he won't travel south of the river!

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/c ... 17113.html
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Among the general obloquy heaped upon Tescos, why is no credit given them for this?
The Sydenham Mosaic was made possible by generous support from: Chris Best; Hilary & John Jarrett; Valerie Kelly; Emma Jane Mallinder; Mann Estate Agents; Richard & Dan Crowley of Property World; The Shackleton Foundation; Robert Side; S.G. Smith Motor Group; Mr. & Mrs. L.A.P.Swann; Sydenham Assembly of London Borough of Lewisham;The Sydenham Society; Tesco; Whites Pet Centre; R.Woodfall, Opticians of London. We are also grateful for generous support and donations from many within our community
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I was in the new store this morning. Seemed OK although with two similar shops within a few yards you cannot help wondering will all three survive.

Good to see no all day drinkers . Perhaps they do not drink on the sabbath.

Tim is quite correct Tesco do support many good causes.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

All major companies , however repulsive, have a " corporate social responsibility " agenda , Tesco are no different .
Clearly there are those among us that will choose to shop at Tesco but I sincerely hope it is not influenced by Tim's mischievous little parry above . If you are against Tesco, and I certainly am , there is no reason to change your view because of this - contributions by our own local shops are far more significant and welcome .
I can see no reason whatsoever to go in there , especially now the CoOp has been so nicely revamped.
Tesco take cynical and aggressive stances in virtually every county in England - they are in no sense a local benefactor and please not let's argue that they bring jobs - pound for pound they employ far fewer than independent shops .
Good evening
Nigel

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image