My visit to the new Tesco Express

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham

Moderator: frenzarin

catfordlad
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 Jul 2013 13:37
Location: London

My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by catfordlad »

I visited the new Tesco Express around 1600 today and was very impressed.

The store is huge inside, cool and very well organised.

I was so pleased to be able to get £3.00 off when I spent more than £10.00 by using a voucher I had been given by a friend who works at a charity shop on Sydenham Road.

I was impressed at the number of items on sale for £1.00. For example a tin of red bull for £1.00 is a bargain compared to what I normally pay in other shops.

Tesco Express is a welcome edition to the high street that lacks choice and inspiration.
Eagle
Posts: 10658
Joined: 7 Oct 2004 06:36
Location: F Hill

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by Eagle »

Catfordlad
I also entered the store on Sunday. Bright and well stocked.

I think you will unleash a tirade of anti Tesco posts very soon.....
catfordlad
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 Jul 2013 13:37
Location: London

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by catfordlad »

Eagle wrote:Catfordlad
I also entered the store on Sunday. Bright and well stocked.

I think you will unleash a tirade of anti Tesco posts very soon.....
I find that those that are anti Tesco actually shop in Tesco but are in denial about their principles.
leenewham
Posts: 5886
Joined: 2 Sep 2007 11:58
Location: SYDENHAM
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by leenewham »

I've worked for tesco. They don't have principles. But they do things which are good for others...if they get good or out of it. But they treat suppliers like ****. I won't shop there, but its great for those who will if its a decent store.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

catfordlad wrote:I find that those that are anti Tesco actually shop in Tesco but are in denial about their principles.
Hmmmm does that include me and what principles are you questioning?

I had to shop in Tescos for 3 years. That's why I hate them. Their own label food was disgusting. It made me feel quite ill. I was not surprised that they were the worst of the horseburger ring. They pare everything down beyond decent taste to the customer or margin for the supplier. They bank land to lock out competition so they could charge extra.

How lucky to return to Sydenham to have a choice with better for less. So sad that Tesco followed. I really am surprised that you value their stuff and their methodology.

Stuart
catfordlad
Posts: 22
Joined: 15 Jul 2013 13:37
Location: London

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by catfordlad »

Yes plenty of evidence.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

catfordlad wrote:Yes plenty of evidence.
So the answer to my questions is .... ?

Stuart
hairybuddha

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by hairybuddha »

stuart wrote: I had to shop in Tescos for 3 years. That's why I hate them.
Stuart
I didn't really have strong opinions about Tesco but if this is true then something must be done! Who forced you to do this? And why didn't you report it to The Police? How did they manage to force you to eat their own brand food? This is awful.
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

hairybuddha wrote:I didn't really have strong opinions about Tesco but if this is true then something must be done! Who forced you to do this? And why didn't you report it to The Police? How did they manage to force you to eat their own brand food? This is awful.
No need to be so facetious HB. There was no other supermarket within 50 miles and they had driven the competition out of business and then charged 98p for bananas when our Lidl's was doing rather better ones for 60p. And the choice of what I bought was not mine.

A little more sympathy might help. Thankfully the damage to my gut was not permanent (I hope).

Stuart
hairybuddha

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by hairybuddha »

I'm amazed that there wasn't another supermarket within 50 miles. If that's true, you have my sympathy.

With the possible exception of Waitrose, there is very little difference in what the supermarkets sell. In fact, they are almost identical. I wouldn't be surprised if 90% of Tesco own brand stuff is made in the same factory, on the same production line as that of Sainsbury's and others. To single Tesco out on this issue is just silly. But I am a big fan of silliness so you lot carry on.
leenewham
Posts: 5886
Joined: 2 Sep 2007 11:58
Location: SYDENHAM
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by leenewham »

You will find most brands are made in the same factories as own brand. Noon, Katsuris and Bakkavor make lots of own brand food for all the supermarkets (they are based in London). But the food varies. Different supermarkets and brands have different recipies and amount of money to spend on ingredients. So they may be made in the same factory, but they food will be different. I've been to some of the tastings with Tesco and the Sainbury's lines won every test (De Cecco made Tesco Finest Pasta back then). The suppliers pay for the packaging, not Tesco. Most costs are passed onto the suppliers.

Most supermarkets make the same mark ups on food depending on spoilage etc. One way of driving up profits is to screw the suppliers. Lidl make Tesco look like Waitrose in regards to ethics. Profits of supermarkets over costs on food are in single digit figures.
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

HB - the Tesco store was a 50 mile round trip to Cardigan. The nearest Morrision supermarkets were at Aberystwyth and Carmarthen. Sainsbury's was in Swansea. I never found a Waitrose or Asda. It was a very naked example of how Tesco use their muscle to destroy choice and replace it with expensive rubbish.

Own labels are not the same. Even from the same factory. Otherwise we would have not had the differential finds in the horsemeat saga. A particular beef (!) of mine was the baguettes which only come own label. I find the Co-op ones are best followed by Waitrose with Sainsbury's bringing up the rear. The Tesco ones were just disgusting. Pillars of salt I used to say - but when the choice is Wonderloaf what can one do?

Am I really being so silly about this HB?

Stuart
Eagle
Posts: 10658
Joined: 7 Oct 2004 06:36
Location: F Hill

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by Eagle »

Stuart
I appreciate the long distances but surely in rural Wales lots of farm shops and small village shops that would have welcomed your support.

You would have saved on the petrol and far less stress.

No point in having a rural life style if you ignore local traders.

We do not have to use supermarkets.
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

Sorry Eagle - you made some unfounded assumptions (again).

When you have a 90 year old person in a wheelchair you do not drive up multiple farm lanes and tracks. You go to a supermarket with a blue badge bay and do all your shopping there. To do otherwise is unkind.

Hence I was stuck with Tescos for three years and I suffered. The suffering included the gut having eaten their disgusting meals. Hence my anger.

But you are not alone. HB and Catfordlad need to take responsibility for their rude and, if I may share the word, silly and incorrect remarks. I guess Tesco thrives on being 'bigged up' with this nonsense.

Thank you, I feel better now :)

Stuart
marymck
Posts: 1578
Joined: 9 Feb 2008 16:30
Location: Upper Kirkdale

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by marymck »

You have my sympathies Stuart. My mum is very lucky in that her village shop has so far managed to survive Sainsburys taking over the pub in the next door village, and my mum's village shopkeepers will deliver to her free of charge. A blessing particularly in poor weather.

In sydenham we're very lucky in that we have alternatives. We have lots of good, local shops. Upper Kirkdale is blessed to have the Ram store. Ramesh stayed open throughout the riots, when costcutters, londis and Tesco had fled.

Sadly those that need blue badge parking will have to continue to have use the big supermarkets of bell green and beckenham, until the high street gets its parking sorted. But the able bodied are very well served.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Eagle
Posts: 10658
Joined: 7 Oct 2004 06:36
Location: F Hill

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by Eagle »

Stuart
I understand, but too be fair you should have perhaps mentioned that you had to go shopping with your aged mother. Of course myself and others make assumptions on the facts given.

I suppose in many ways you should be grateful for that Tesco's . If it had not be there how much longer would your journey have been.

I appreciate you do not like Tesco's and to be honest I am not a great fan either.

Our nearest big Tesco is at Elmer's End and far too busy for me. Also really dislike the so called Sava Centre and avoid like the plague. Cannot see that either worse or better than each other, yet you do not seem to attack J Sainsbury.
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

marymck wrote:Sadly those that need blue badge parking will have to continue to have use the big supermarkets of bell green and beckenham, until the high street gets its parking sorted. But the able bodied are very well served.
+1

I've traded in the blue badge for two wheels. But it would be great for others to have Sydenham Road turned into a Blue Badge Nirvana. They could choose to shop at the Co-op or even Tescos without having to play musical parking to the inconvenience of all. Mary is SydSoc doing anything to help get more bays? You really need to provide twice as many as will be averagely occupied to be attractive.

Stuart
hairybuddha

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by hairybuddha »

stuart wrote:Sorry Eagle - you made some unfounded assumptions (again).

When you have a 90 year old person in a wheelchair you do not drive up multiple farm lanes and tracks. You go to a supermarket with a blue badge bay and do all your shopping there. To do otherwise is unkind.

Hence I was stuck with Tescos for three years and I suffered. The suffering included the gut having eaten their disgusting meals. Hence my anger.

But you are not alone. HB and Catfordlad need to take responsibility for their rude and, if I may share the word, silly and incorrect remarks. I guess Tesco thrives on being 'bigged up' with this nonsense.

Thank you, I feel better now :)

Stuart
:lol: thanks Stuart - I could hear the violins striking up all the way from Central London.

I do indeed take full responsbility for my posts. I take my responsibility of pricking the pomposity that exists around here very seriously.

I presume that the Tesco that you were forced to use in S.Wales didn't sell things like rice, pasta, pulses and fresh fruit and veg? If they did it would seem a bit silly that you insisted on eating their disgusting ready meals, especially if they were troubling your gut so much.
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

Eagle wrote:I understand, but too be fair you should have perhaps mentioned that you had to go shopping with your aged mother. Of course myself and others make assumptions on the facts given.
I said clearly I had no choice. I didn't really want to say why.

I am sorry you could not accept that. Why I had to disclose my personal circumstances in justification is something you need to answer. Have I ever misled you before?

You must forgive me if my gratefulness to Tesco is somewhat limited. The important factor is what it taught me about how Tesco operate and the efficacy of its products. It might be that Tescos has changed and indeed the Sydenham Road store bakes the finest baguettes in SE26. If someone can credibly assure me of this then I will, of course, check them out.

A redeemed Tesco would be something to truly celebrate.

Stuart
stuart
Posts: 3392
Joined: 21 Sep 2004 10:13
Location: Lawrie Park
Contact:

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by stuart »

hairybuddha wrote: :lol: thanks Stuart - I could hear the violins striking up all the way from Central London.

I do indeed take full responsbility for my posts. I take my responsibility of pricking the pomposity that exists around here very seriously.

I presume that the Tesco that you were forced to use in S.Wales didn't sell things like rice, pasta, pulses and fresh fruit and veg? If they did it would seem a bit silly that you insisted on eating their disgusting ready meals, especially if they were troubling your gut so much.
I really don't really know what to say in response except how much it saddened me.

I may be all the things you appear to think of me. Not for me to judge. But as you don't know me or my circumstances it really isn't for you to judge either.

Hopefully you won't be looking after me when I'm 90, violins and all.
Come on you can do better than this.

Stuart
Post Reply