My visit to the new Tesco Express

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Nigel

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by Nigel »

Hairybuddha , it is hard to know how to take your comment , and even harder to know if you are clear that I was being sarcastic.
Once again for the hard-of-thinking, I was having a pop at those people that claim to be too busy to exercise any judgement about where they shop. If you really do think that we have no obligation to think about where we spend our money then good luck to you but many people consider it important to encourage good endeavours whether FreeTrade, dolphin-friendly, social enterprise, mutuals , reduced food-miles, locally sourced etc etc . Regarding " political and moral compass" , yes I could have used to 30 words to convey that but think most people that post on this forum would understand what I meant.
Going back to the point I was trying to make , you have demonstrated it very well . That is ; that many people express their personal objection to Tesco and others lampoon for it , accusing them of secretly using Tesco and in your case , being pompous. You have even , hilariously, parodied me by copying my salutation , followed by your username . If you are , as your wit suggests , Stephen Fry, may I say you were very amusing on QI last night.
Good evening
Nigel
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Nigel wrote:Hairybuddha , it is hard to know how to take your comment , and even harder to know if you are clear that I was being sarcastic.
So, wait a minute... You're saying there's nothing wrong with the political and moral compass of the people who shop in Tesco and you were just being sarcastic?

Thank God for that. I thought you were being a massive, pompous arse.

A Good Evening
Stephen F
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Hairybuddha
I don't think I can unpack that much more for you - we will soon be down to consonants and vowel sounds.
" Massive pompous arse"? Forget Stephen Fry , more like Oscar Wilde .
A pleasure corresponding with you . You even managed the " A good evening " - I'll wager you do hilarious impressions too.
Good evening
NIgel
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

All this fuss over a supermarket! :?

To Tesco or not To Tesco, that is the question!
Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to shop in the Coop
or tis to jump on a bus to outrageous fortune (in Penge),
blah, blah, blah, etc, etc, etc!

Ohhh! Please yourself!
Frankie Howard.
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Love the last post, really funny
Hissing Syd

Post by Hissing Syd »

At the risk of giving this hornet's nest a further kicking...

I haven't gone in the new Tesco yet - I've felt I would curl up with shame if any of the lovely PFC people saw me and bellowed out "quisling!" However having read the above I now feel I can enter with a relatively clear conscience...

On a more serious note I would like to just throw in that to me, a fairly important point is being missed here: many of us are quite simply constrained by budget - for that reason and others I use Lidl regularly. Lee - I wasn't particularly convinced by what I read about them and Aldi on the link to makewealthhistory - especially the bit about recyclable packaging, but will think on and read further. Yet given the announcement last week about the so-called "end of cheap food", for a lot of people this reality is not going to be disappearing any time soon.

There was a show on BBC1 recently dealing with just this and asking Celeb chefs to attempt to provide decent meals on the miniscule budgets of some families. Not one of them managed it without overspending.

I'm by no means as badly off as some - I own (most of) my own home and take great pride on living well on a small income. Yet though I'm not without ethical or moral awareness, I can't always afford to act on any such concerns - or not to any great extent. It's my personal feeling (and I say this meaning no offence to anyone) that sometimes those concerns are a luxury.

18 months ago or so I had a stern telling off from a guy I was working with named Jeremy (and I admit that I'm being snide by mentioning his name, but really), who told me in no uncertain terms that by shopping anywhere other than Waitrose I was being completely irresponsible. Jeremy lived in a flat in Crouch End funded entirely by his parents, who also paid for his gas and electric. You'll not be seeing him getting his mince pies up Spar this Christmas.

Also let's not forget that Lidl and Aldi stock some bloody good stuff; their olive oil has outdone M&S in the past, for one - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink ... -find.html.

And don't get me wrong - as I'm pretty sure I've said before, I am well aware how lucky we are to have the likes of the fantastic Billings (among others) and spend my money in there whenever possible. But as ye olde Delia Smith has had the common sense to observe in the past, "the poor need to eat too."

Anyway off for a nice slice of humble pie and fish heads now... it's Tiny Tim's favourite, the little scamp!
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

catfordlad wrote:I visited the new Tesco Express around 1600 today and was very impressed.

The store is huge inside, cool and very well organised.

I was so pleased to be able to get £3.00 off when I spent more than £10.00 by using a voucher I had been given by a friend who works at a charity shop on Sydenham Road.

I was impressed at the number of items on sale for £1.00. For example a tin of red bull for £1.00 is a bargain compared to what I normally pay in other shops.

Tesco Express is a welcome edition to the high street that lacks choice and inspiration.
You can buy a litre of Rooster in the Co-op for a pound compared to a can (250ml) for a pound. Excellent value.

Is this Tesco Express registered in Jersey like many of the others? If so they aren't paying any tax...
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

14BradfordRoad wrote:All this fuss over a supermarket! :?

Ohhh! Please yourself!
Frankie Howard.
Please spell Gods name correctly.

Frankie Howerd. Titter ye not.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Manwithaview1 wrote:
14BradfordRoad wrote:All this fuss over a supermarket! :?

Ohhh! Please yourself!
Frankie Howard.
Please spell Gods name correctly.

Frankie Howerd. Titter ye not.
Mi apolololologies MWAV1. Me Skooling wernot vat grate cos I wusernt vere veri much.
Wot a larf but fink u got ve jest thow! Ore ar yu jus beeing pikky? :lol: :lol:
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

Hmmmm, I shop almost exclusively at Waitrose as my supermarket. What does that make me....I dread to think!!!
However On very odd occasions when i need some small bits after work I do now venture into the refurbished Co-Op... I presume "done up" in response to Tesco.
So...I'm pretty happy that has happened as it was a dump before.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image