My visit to the new Tesco Express

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Eagle

Re: My visit to the new Tesco Express

Post by Eagle »

Stuart

I appreciate your then special circumstances. Perhaps we ought to give Tesco a rest.

I assume the co is the name stands for Cohen. Does anyone know what the Tes stands for????
maestro

Post by maestro »

"The company was founded in 1919 by Jack Cohen as a group of market stalls. The Tesco name first appeared in 1924, after Cohen purchased a shipment of tea from T. E. Stockwell and combined those initials with the first two letters of his surname,[9] and the first Tesco store opened in 1929 in Burnt Oak, Middlesex."
marymck

Post by marymck »

stuart wrote:
marymck wrote:Sadly those that need blue badge parking will have to continue to have use the big supermarkets of bell green and beckenham, until the high street gets its parking sorted. But the able bodied are very well served.
+1

I've traded in the blue badge for two wheels. But it would be great for others to have Sydenham Road turned into a Blue Badge Nirvana. They could choose to shop at the Co-op or even Tescos without having to play musical parking to the inconvenience of all. Mary is SydSoc doing anything to help get more bays? You really need to provide twice as many as will be averagely occupied to be attractive.

Stuart
Stuart, I'm afraid I have no idea what the other members of SydSoc are doing. There is a roads and transport sub committee, headed up by Barry Milton I believe, but I'm not a member of it. I'm on the planning and conservation sub committee, but don't have time to help as much with that as I'd like to. Beyond that, I'm just an ordinary member and because I live in the forest hill ward, probably not as well informed as those who live at the high street end. I will email Barry and ask if he knows what the plans are. I never seem to get a chance to pop into the Riney's office. (To be honest, I try to avoid the high street as much as possible now, because of the ridiculous traffic hold ups.)

As a local resident I can write to the council and ask what they as a council are doing. I hope others, be they, like me, a member of SydSoc or not will do the same. I did suggest making the high street a disabled parking only zone during the consultation process. But I've not been involved at all in any discussions, beyond attending some of the sydenham assemblies. Sorry.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

when I lived just off the Old Kent Road, we were a few metres away from a large Tesco store. We had no car, and so did all of our major shopping trips to tesco, as it made sense, rather than carrying heavy shopping a long way from Asda, or going to several different shops on the OKR, or a walk to East St Market, which we did do some weekends. We were not 'forced' to shop there, but it was a darn site easier (a Tesco clubcard gave us reward points for continued custom)

when I'm at work, there is a Tesco nearby that I sometimes use, less often now that we've moved offices. When I'm out and about with work I sometimes use them, just because they're open when I need a shop. So far I have yet to use the ones in Sydenham, and I hope to keep up that trend - there are many and varied alternatives within easy walking distance, so this should be very easy to do.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Well I just went in there with my embarrassing Sainsburys shopping bag. (Note to self to use something a little more PC.)

I had a voucher for £6 off a £30 shop and I couldn't afford to pass that one up.

Very nice ladies working there, but the men were a bit miserable and surly. The customers kept getting in their way. Naughty customers. The ladies couldn't have been nicer though - very helpful.

I had a struggle spending my £30. Not because goods were cheap (they weren't!) but because there was very little I actually wanted to buy.

Had I noticed the spirits behind the tolls, I'd have probably cut to the chase and now be looking forward to the sound of gin cracking ice. But I didnt notice until I'd filled my trolley with unnecessary dips and steak at 3 for the price of 2.

It's very narrow in there between the aisles. So not a comfortable place to shop and I don't think it would be possible to manoeuvre a wheelchair or pram in there. It seemed clean though.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Unfortunately Mary vouchers and infamous Bogof offers just encourage us to buy what we do not want or need.

Very sad.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Eagle wrote:Unfortunately Mary vouchers and infamous Bogof offers just encourage us to buy what we do not want or need.

Very sad.
True eagle, true. I should have stuck to the gin. But that really would have been sad ... and a bit of an unbalanced diet.

As it happens, I wanted to try it out and nothing I bought will go to waste. I thought I may as well do it while Tesco were subsidizing me.

chrisj1948

Post by chrisj1948 »

My wife Mary and I were chatting to the guy from PFC this evening. He feels that the opening of Tesco is a plus for his business, since it will increase the footfall in the area and they stock different ranges.

Regards
Chris
maestro

Post by maestro »

I'm in PFC frequently and totally fill a large estate car with his produce which I take up to Scotland. I was speaking to him many weeks ago about Tesco opening and he was looking forward to it for the reason chrisj stated, they're no competition to him. Proof that Tesco opening can benefit other local businesses.
apcmoomin

Post by apcmoomin »

I went in yesterday to spend my £3 off voucher, but struggled to find stuff that I wanted in there - I also went in with a pram and found the aisles a little bit too narrow. It didn't help with the staff leaving their crates mid-aisle to unload items onto the shelves - I had to reverse back up aisles a few times to go around to the other end of an aisle to get to something I wanted. very frustrating. At least in PFC there are no obstructions in the aisles whenever I've been in there.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

If you can't find what you want in there or they're not up to your standards you'll be pleased to know Costcutter by Homebase in Penge has closed and is reopening as a Tesco too.
squashst

Post by squashst »

Oh - the Costcutter that can't be much more than 250m from the existing Tesco Express (which replaced the Nisa express, which I think replaced a pub). Mini Tescos every 250m seems rather overkill? Even for Penge?
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

I must confess that I find some of the comments posted here seem needlessly critical of those who have chosen to set out their objection to Tesco. There is more than a hint of schadenfreude in some posts , specially those that gleefully tell us how near the next Tesco is . I also find it strange that that some accuse others of secretly using Tesco as though it were some kind of guilty pleasure (" I couldn't help myself, I just had to sneak into a shop that mistreated its suppliers, suppressed local business and supplied the public with over-priced dismal food" ) ?
There are myriad reasons why adults are sometimes incapable of planning their shopping consumption so as not to depend on Tesco . Often these are highly compelling e.g. they have a job, they have to take a bus or train or even , they live equidistant between two shops and have no kind of political or moral compass to help them decide where to shop.
For these individuals I have great sympathy but personally I think we should all keep away from this awful shop and hope against hope that one day Tesco will not be the only shop we have .
Good evening
Nigel
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel wrote: ... hope against hope that one day Tesco will not be the only shop we have .
Good evening
Nigel
But, without wanting to be controversial here, it's not the only shop we have ...
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Tim
With respect I think you are being what I would politely term "uncomplicated" rather than controversial .
May I suggest you re-read and really concentrate on the syntax you will get there.
A very good evening
Nigel

Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

Nigel wrote:Tim
With respect I think you are being what I would politely term "uncomplicated" rather than controversial .
May I suggest you re-read and really concentrate on the syntax you will get there.
I was trying more to make sense of the meaning, e.g. that people might in some way be forced to shop at Tescos because they "have no kind of political or moral compass to help them decide where to shop".

The fact is that in Sydenham we do have a choice, and to suggest that those who choose to shop in Tescos are somehow morally inferior is not very helpful.
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Most people shop at a store because its the most convenient. Tesco do have moral issues, as do many bug brands although they are better than lidl, yet lidl seems to be championed because it is so cheap. Yet we hardly seem to hear of anyone calling for a boycot of them. http://makewealthhistory.org/2009/03/10 ... permarket/

So I guess if tesco were really really cheap, everything would be fine!

Fact is, morality doesn't influence most people's shopping behaviour. Neither does diet or health. What people say and do are totally different.

hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Nigel wrote:Often these are highly compelling e.g. they have a job, they have to take a bus or train or even , they live equidistant between two shops and have no kind of political or moral compass to help them decide where to shop.
:lol: :lol: Nigel - You've made my day, this is my new favourite comment on this website. Such pompous nonsense :lol: :roll:

How can I get my hands on one of these shopping decision moral compasses? I bet Tesco stock them, but probably quite poor quality ones.

A very good morning :lol:
angela53

Post by angela53 »

Delighted to hear Penge Coscutter is closing , disgusting looking shop.

I wish the one in Sydenham would close too. While I am no fan of Tesco at least it looks smart which Costcutter does not.

Also noticed the "Superdrug" has had a refit too which is quite nice
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

It is amazing that Tesco create so much controversy.

Some I know says Costcutter should be called Costadder.

Superdrug ? Bring back Woolies.