New street lights

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Bunty

New street lights

Post by Bunty »

Were any residents consulted about the new street lights being installed around Sydenham? I live on the Corner of Tredown Road. The new light is directly outside my bedroom window and incredibly bright. I am in favour of safe streets and adequate lighting but the new ones are too bright!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Rachael

Re: New street lights

Post by Rachael »

Contact Skanska and they will redirect the light so it doesn't shine into your room.

gerry

Post by gerry »

In The Peak we have a fantastic light that is on during the day and off at night!!!!!!!!
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Fairlawn Park still has 4 old lights. Seems a bit hap hazzard how they are doing it. They also seem to be oddly spaced.

There was a lovely old streetlight on the corner that they took away, which is a shame.

Is this actually saving money?
Giddysquid

Post by Giddysquid »

Does anyone know when the lights are due to be finished in Newlands Park? The pavement has been closed off for nearly two months. Its annoying for anyone with a pram.
squashst

Post by squashst »

In Grierson Road (close to HOP station) Skanska have installed proper light shields so light does not shine into the houses - sensible as its Edwardian terrace with very small front gardens. In fact I am rather puzzled why these shields have not been installed more consistently. The lightposts with the proper lightshields are labelled "Lewisham 13" and "Lewisham 14"
alywin

Post by alywin »

I'm a bit bemused by all this "new street lights" business, because when I come out of Penge East station I see signs up that work is due to start. Yet Penge East and its environs are in Bromley Borough, and the new lights are supposed to be a joint endeavour between Lewisham and Croydon?
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I'm a bit confused as to what is happening re the old lights. When are they being removed...and will they have to rip up the new paving to do so?
Looking down the high street from the station , all I see is a mess of old and new columns

Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

What are the new lights (columns just installed) on the pavement in Station approach going to be like. I'm keen on shorter columned lights there as I think it might look quite nice but I do wonder at the higgledy piggledy approach ..we have
The new "leaf" lights
The new high street lights
These new shorter columns.
Will they aesthetically match? Methinks not.

marymck

Post by marymck »

One of the three street lights that floodlight my house was switched on last night. It's awful! I feel like I'm on a stage.
montjuic56

Post by montjuic56 »

I agree, the lights are far too bright, particularly in Tredown Road.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

I've had new lights outside my house for a few months now and am sort of used to them.

However, I do find the new lights pretty poor when driving at night - there are deep pools of darkness between the lights where I really can't see the road very well. Particularly bad around the back of Sydenham Wells Park, I noticed the other night.
Suzee

Post by Suzee »

Fine on Tredown in my opinion, but Homecroft is too dark, as if there is a street light missing. Not pleasant to walk down at night.
Keep meaning to contact Lewisham or whoever....

JRobinson

Post by JRobinson »

it's probably not any darker than previously, however because these new lights are lot brighter (or provide 'whiter' light) your eyes get used to them, and then in between your eyes don't react quickly enough to the dark change again.

if it were up to me (which of course it isn't, and neither should it be) - I'd make all the lights a lot dimmer, so that people had to use their eyes to see properly. this would reduce electricity usage for the council, and make a lot of people happier with less light polution, and the wildlife on our streets would benefit too.