Lewisham Hospital Success at Last

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
pip

Lewisham Hospital Success at Last

Post by pip »

gurka

Re: Lewisham Hospital Success at Last

Post by gurka »

Yes !!! (Was just going to post that !!)

but can they appeal ?
sean

Post by sean »

Health Secretary Jeremy Hunt has had his decision to reduce services at a major hospital declared unlawful and quashed by the High Court.

Mr Justice Silber ruled Mr Hunt acted outside his powers when he announced casualty and maternity units at Lewisham Hospital would be downgraded.

He said the Secretary of State had breached provisions of the National Health Services Act 2006.

The challenge was brought by Lewisham council and Save Lewisham Hospital.

Elisabeth Laing QC, for the council, told the judge at a recent hearing the hospital in south-east London was a "very good hospital" and the range of services provided there was "greatly valued by local people and by the council".

When Mr Hunt told MPs his plans in January he said the cuts were necessary because neighbouring South London Healthcare NHS Trust has been losing more than £1m every week.

Dr Louise Irvine, a local GP who chairs the Save Lewisham Hospital campaign, said she had been overwhelmed by the support from people around the UK.

She said: "This is an incredible day. We are delighted for every single person who has supported the campaign and those who will now continue to benefit from this extraordinary hospital.

"David Cameron himself said that there would be no 'top-down' approach to closures and we appreciate the court's decision, which should serve as a reminder to this government."

Source: BBC News
syd

Post by syd »

As Lewisham is a Labour borough hunt thought he would get away with it and not lose any votes. the decision was never for the good of the community whatever he says. Typical hate filled tory.

Well done everyone
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Syd.

Maybe your post is a touch extreme. Courtesy to all should be our maxim.
Maria

Post by Maria »

Courtesy to whom? Er... want to run that past us again Eagle?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Maria

I am as happy as anyone that Lewisham Hospital has been reprieved ( or parts have that were threatened ). Infact I am a user of the hospital so often see it at first hand and think most of its work is excellent.

However I thought Syd's post impolite in the extreme.. Surely one does not need one to elaborate. Or maybe people think being polite is a waste of time in this day and age, that indeed is very sad.

Let us just give thanks for the good news although I do understand could be overturned at appeal. I do hope not.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Eagle wrote: Courtesy to all should be our maxim.
I'm delighted that this is your new maxim, Eagle. I say 'new' because you certainly haven't been courteous in the very recent past in this very place to 'tubbies' and 'chavs'. Just goes to show, you CAN teach an old dog (possibly a Beagle) new tricks. Well done, an example to us all.

Getting back on topic, a hearty congratulations to all involved in this campaign. I, for one, am very grateful for your efforts.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Maria

Post by Maria »

Eagle wrote: I thought Syd's post impolite in the extreme.. Surely one does not need one to elaborate
Now that really is a spectacular statement... given what Syd has written and your own on-going "elaborations" about most topics....

Absolutely fantastic news to us all.
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Maria wrote:Courtesy to whom? Er... want to run that past us again Eagle?
It's not our place to be discourteous to our betters, lords and masters who should be revered regardless of what vile human beings they may be and what foul policies they try and force on us. God bless each and every one of their good selves.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

syd wrote:As Lewisham is a Labour borough hunt thought he would get away with it and not lose any votes. the decision was never for the good of the community whatever he says. Typical hate filled tory.

Well done everyone
Hunt is an idiot and was outed as one over the Murdoch emails. Jesus him and that other moron Lansley who was finally sacked last year just about sum up the Tories and things that are safe in Dave's hands.

Anyone wanna buy a pint of blood? I've got an armful spare. :mrgreen:
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

I sincerely hope you were doffing your cap and averting your gaze when you said that.
syd

Post by syd »

Eagle tories are closing services for the poorest and most vulnerable. Boris stopped the tram extension for no reason other than it wouldn't benefit him or his party. Tories like to punish the poor and vulnerable. Do you think those bullingfon boys are just misunderstood? Im sorry if yours such a delicate flower you were offended but i have seen first hand what the condems are doing and its not pretty.
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

syd wrote:As Lewisham is a Labour borough hunt thought he would get away with it and not lose any votes. the decision was never for the good of the community whatever he says. Typical hate filled tory.

Well done everyone
Reminds me of the
The policemans's name was Hunt
name was hunt
The policeman's name was Hunt
name was Hunt
because we was a great big

*policeman* :lol: :mrgreen:
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Rubbish Syd...

All I was asking for was for you to refer to The Rt Hon J Hunt and not hunt. Common courtesy and politeness cost nothing.

I am as glad as you , as I said I actively use the hospital. Infact spent 7 weeks in the wards last year. After discharge I wrote a letter to the management praising the services.

I was not happy with the original decision , but also know that the NHS costs a huge amount of money and sometimes difficult decisions will need to be made.

Anyway this is excellent news for all of us.......
Manwithaview1

Post by Manwithaview1 »

Eagle wrote:Rubbish Syd...

All I was asking for was for you to refer to The Rt Hon J Hunt and not hunt. Common courtesy and politeness cost nothing.

I am as glad as you , as I said I actively use the hospital. Infact spent 7 weeks in the wards last year. After discharge I wrote a letter to the management praising the services.

I was not happy with the original decision , but also know that the NHS costs a huge amount of money and sometimes difficult decisions will need to be made.

Anyway this is excellent news for all of us.......
Indeed it is.

And for Greenwich hospital, which won't have another 200,000 people potentially to use its services. Their waiting times were horrific so you could imagine double digit hours waiting...
Mr_Sheen

Post by Mr_Sheen »

Oh come on. Who the hell refers to MPs - especially someone as vile as Hunt - as 'The Rt Hon'? What century do you come from? Why do you show such reverence to those in positions of authority?? MPs are employed and paid for by YOU. THEY serve YOU, not the other way around.
goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

Without taking sides in Eagle vs Syd. This is amazing news and as stated on my twitter "Suck on that Hunt #SaveLewishamAE" :)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
michael

Post by michael »

All I was asking for was for you to refer to The Rt Hon J Hunt and not hunt. Common courtesy and politeness cost nothing
Why would that not also apply to Rt Hon Edward Miliband? Eagle can't even spell his name correctly and refers to him as jnr even though his father's name was Ralph.
Eagle wrote:I understand they promised to finish by the same time as Milliband Jnr grows up.
Do not hold your breath.
Let's have a bit less hypocrisy from Eagle and an apology to Syd for expecting him to have significantly better manners than you have ever demonstrated.

As for Jezza, he should have realised that what he and Kershaw were doing was illegal. I'm sure he would have received advice from his civil servants to that effect. The case was pretty clear and the departmental lawyers did not put up much of a fight in court, because they knew they didn't have a leg to stand on. As a result I feel that it would be reasonable for him to do the right and honourable thing, accept ministerial responsibility and resign after deliberately acting above the law.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Oh Michael you have found me out.

By all accounts there may be a new leader soon .

Let us not complicate this gracious thread and congratulate those who took this battle all the way.