BOYCOTT LONDIS SYDENHAM !!!!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
poppy

Londis boycott

Post by poppy »

I actually find Somerfield very useful, if a bit crappy, but I would be upset if it closed unless it was being replaced by Waitrose or Simply Food!

I know it is under-staffed and sometimes the shelves are a bit bare but I was really surprised when I moved here (as I had never lived near a Somerfield before) that it atually stocked organic produce and a few other things like Ecover products. I would be lost without it.

I did email the head office ages ago to ask if they had any plans to upgrade it to a 'Market Fresh' branch, like the one in East Dulwich, as I thought it would attract more local people that way (as had heard rumours it might close) and they said there were no plans for this. Which is a shame. Every high street needs a decent supermarket otherwise they are pretty much doomed (from my experience). So I wouldn't be wishing it closed in a hurry!
simon

Post by simon »

Have to say that Somerfield is awful and I pity the staff who work there. The management have fattening the chain up after the OFT blocked its sale to Tesco and they have cut staff numbers while extending opening hours, with the morale of the remaining staff now at rock bottom. There was meant to be a takeover by a consortium that inlcudes Apax partners and Barclays capital but that is in doubt now as a result of the global credit crunch. So its unlikely that things will get any better in the short term.
tongue_in_cheek

Aldi - coming to Sydenham

Post by tongue_in_cheek »

See below
Last edited by tongue_in_cheek on 12 Nov 2007 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
tongue_in_cheek

Aldi - coming to Sydenham

Post by tongue_in_cheek »

Great news! In another boon for the high street Aldi have bought the Somerfield site. This is great for all you bargain hunters out there as there is bound to be a price war between Aldi and Lidl in time for Christmas. Aldi also do a great sideline in theme weeks as Lidl do, I think they currently have a promotion in angling equipment. Who said Sydenham wasn't Glamorous? What with Aldi, Lidl and our record eight pound shops Sydenham high street is a shopping experience you can't match anywhere else in our great capital city.

Local "It" girl Charley from Big Brother is opening the new Aldi store on December 19th. Who needs Leona Lewis to swtich on our "Lewisham Blue" Christmas lights when we have our very own Charley. Lets face it she is the epitome of our high street: cheap, tacky and common.

As for the Bella Endberg look-a-like who moved from Somerfield to Londis. Fair play to her, she is a lovely friendly lady who works hard. Think about who put her up to filling the shelves with the buy for 1 cheddar from Somerfield, that dreadful owner with the 1980's Deirdre Barlow bubble perm... I see she is doing a line in clothing now outside along side her flowers. Well it makes Primark look like Selfridges.

Check out Bella/Londis Lady in her heyday:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/nottingham/stage/2 ... on_203.jpg

Oh and more good news for all those food lovers out there queuing up to get into the Blue Mountain Cafe. Burger King have applied for planning to open up in the old Apollo video shop!

So the East London line extension is finally proving to bring the success and change to Sydenham we have all been wishing for the last 10 years. Now we will be linked to West Croyden and Whitchapel why shouldn't we be as good as them? If not better? I am sure we will have a Pizza Hut and Iceland by 2009 and, fingers crossed, a McDonalds in time for the Olympics. We'll be even classier than Penge. Hurrah.

;-)
Last edited by tongue_in_cheek on 12 Nov 2007 20:03, edited 1 time in total.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Haha! Love your post - so good you did it twice!

I hope its not true about Charley from Big Brother cos I heard her IQ is about -3 so she will probably not be able to figure out how to get here.

The pound shops do seem to be competing amongst themselves - which is weird but on the upside we do have the CHEAPEST pound shops in London. :P
multisync

Post by multisync »

So what Aldi is coming to Sydenham.It will be good news to the poncey people of Dulwich,they will have somewhere else apart from Lidl to come and buy their olive oil,goose pheasant,panettone etc. and impress friends.Cheaper than Sainsbury and very rarely overcharged!
multisync

Re: Aldi - coming to Sydenham

Post by multisync »

that dreadful owner with the 1980's Deirdre Barlow bubble perm... I see she is doing a line in clothing now outside along side her flowers. Well it makes Primark look like Selfridges.

;-)[/quote]
Has anybody noticed that she has also opened a lingerie shop.where Bakers watch repairs used to be.Ialso noticed that one of the helpers on the flower stall was dressed in Sainsbury's uniform
multisync

Post by multisync »

Sorry folks put that last post in the wrong way round
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

I don't think the comments above are funny or useful - they go far beyond fair comment about businesses and their owners. Posting pictures and making offensive comments about individual shop-owners amount to a personal campaign against individuals.
Jules

Post by Jules »

I agree Annabel

Mutlisync - your comments regarding Angie are extremley offensive and very impolite. Those coments are best left in the gutter where they belong.
multisync

Post by multisync »

The original comments were not posted by me!Iwas passing comment on the lingerie shop.Apologies if I was misunderstood
user100

Post by user100 »

I agree with others that the personal remarks made about the Londis people are despicable.

If you look at the profile of the OP (tongue_in_cheque) and check all previous postings, you will see that most of them are pretty non-constructive in nature (to put it mildly), and some are downright offensive.
Of course the poster is probably getting some pathetic thrills out of stirring up a fuss, like a naughty 3 year old looking for a reaction, how sad is that?

And for what its worth, I think the lady in Londis (who used to have the flower stall) is an absolute ray of sunshine in Sydenham Road - I wish every trader gave such a gorgeous and cheery smile to their customers.

Best of luck to her and any business with which she is involved.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

I'm glad it was a misunderstanding. It is possibly the short damp days and long cold nights of November that can make us all a bit short tempered. It seems to have got a bit edgy in several threads here in the last couple of days.

Fortunately for me I am usually beaten to the keyboard by someone else rushing to the defence of the accused. Personal attacks are not acceptable here. They are prone to degenerating into pointless ding dongs and invariably undermine even justified critique. Perhaps I can appeal to everyone to checkout out Sydenham's ever widening choice of eating and drinking places, relax and find new and interesting ways to help make this a friendly place.

PS I'll close this thread as I think its not going to go anywhere useful. As usual if anyone disagrees - Town Asylum is the place to debate moderation.

Admin