BOYCOTT LONDIS SYDENHAM !!!!

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
PJWSON

BOYCOTT LONDIS SYDENHAM !!!!

Post by PJWSON »

I am totally disgusted with what i have just seen>

I will try and keep this short!

Shopping in Somerfields in Sydenham High Street. Women in front of me who has now been sacked from the store(as of last week-so I was informed when asking "whats going on there then") spent over £100.00 on buy 1 get 1 free products, mostly cheese and kitchen cleaner. Struggled out of the store with trolley and Marched up to to Londis where she now works. Everything purchased from Somerfield was then rushed onto the Londis shelves and priced up at double the price.

I have just contacted Somerfields who state that the women was sacked and that she was supposedly banned from the store. And that they are disgusted that this is going on and are investigating.

How could the Management and staff from our local Londis do this to us. The prices at Londis are usually higer but then being open 24 Hrs I suppose they have to make money BUT -----

This is a total rip off!

I will not be shopping at Londis again.

Sydenham locals ripping sydenham locals off!!

Disgusting !!!!!!! :x
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

You've got to admire her initiative though!

Or maybe Londis had just run out of cheese and cleaning products.

:shock:
leaf

Post by leaf »

You mean she was working for somerfield,but bought stuff cheap to sell in londis[where she subsequently got a job?]

Was it an initiation for joining the 'londis gang'??
PJWSON

?????

Post by PJWSON »

I thought the town forum was for serious chat, Must be mistaken, Perhaps it's only me who hates being ripped off, Perhaps it's only me that's passionate about living and enjoying Sydenham for the great place it is.

Yes the women worked in Somerfields until last week !
Yes she now works in Londis!

And if that's staff innitiation, surely they could think of something else instead of ripping locals off -------- Duhhhhhhhhh.
Last edited by PJWSON on 30 Mar 2007 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
simon

Post by simon »

I saw her too, coming out of somerfield as I was going in.
Dont know about boycotting Londis, but Im getting close to boycotting Somerfield, its appalling. Its not the staf's fault, there are just not enough of them. Of the four ownerships its been under since I moved here, the current one ios by far the worst.
Here are just two of their recent scams; put a product like beer piled up hign on a pallet in the front of the store witha sign on top saying its reduced by about 30%. Leave it there for a week then just remove the sign and put the price at the check out up by 30%. Another is to take a product like bacon and say its £1.75 for 250 grams, but make sure the ones on the shelf are actually 300grams and charge 3.99 at the check out.
Terrible place
leaf

Re: ?????

Post by leaf »

PJWSON wrote:I thought the town forum was for serious chat, Must be mistaken, Perhaps it's only me who hates being ripped off, Perhaps it's only me that's passionate about living and enjoying Sydenham for the great place it is.

Yes the women worked in Somerfields until last week !
Yes she now works in Londis!

And if that's staff innitiation, surely they could think of something else instead of ripping locals off -------- Duhhhhhhhhh.
Serious chat?
This thread seems a bit personal to me,dont quite see what she did wrong?

So the products went on sale in londis at double the price,as they were buy one get one free,that would make the price the normal price yes?

how is that being ripped off?

The initiation bit was obviously a joke :roll:

Really though,how were YOU ripped off?
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

Am I missing something here :?
Why should we boycott Londis..............?
What have they done wrong?

At the end of the day if you don't like anyones prices or they con you, one does not shop there. Many years ago 30+ there were continous national bakers strikes, Slatters made a killing when they were on strike.

Knowing people were queuing for hours they made smaller loaves and charged way over the top prices. To this day I have never and will never ever use their shop(s) again.
CATLADY

Londis

Post by CATLADY »

I had noticed some time ago that the shop assistant in question was working double shifts in Somerfield and Londis.My husband had recognised her and she told him as much. Very sad she had to do two jobs.But I agree with the first post -a disgrace that we should be ripped off this way in Londis. Somerfields is only good for the reasonably priced wine offers ! - the vegetable section is warm and often fly ridden. I only shop there when I have to which is against the grain for me as I really want to shop locally to keep the high street vibrant. Not good enough.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

I find it amazing that anyone can get so upset over some half-price cheese.
The fact it was half-price means that someone somewhere is getting exploited.
In fact – if they charged full price for it in the first place maybe they could afford to pay better wages and that poor lady that you've got it in for wouldn't have to work double shifts in two shops (and buy up all the cheese).
CATLADY

Londis

Post by CATLADY »

:? I think you will find that this whole issue says more about the 2 shops and the management of them than the lady concerned.I doubt whether it was her idea in the first place.
My point is that the 2 shops are below standard in their different ways.
PJWSON

!!

Post by PJWSON »

Juwlz wrote:I find it amazing that anyone can get so upset over some half-price cheese.
The fact it was half-price means that someone somewhere is getting exploited.
In fact – if they charged full price for it in the first place maybe they could afford to pay better wages and that poor lady that you've got it in for wouldn't have to work double shifts in two shops (and buy up all the cheese).
I have not become so upset over some half price cheese, PLEASE !!!!!

As i said earlier (if you might like to take the time to read before making incorrect statements) People living in Sydenham getting ripped off>

Also did i not say the women had been sacked from Somerfields ummm yes i did so NO she is not working double shifts in two shops.

Please read earlier post before attacking someone who is clearly looking out for others.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Ok, so someone might find that they want to buy a two for one product and find they are sold out because of this woman/shop (how is the shop responsible I don't understand that bit).

Maybe I am too far removed from the poverty line to relate to this but surely this isnt going to cause anyone to actually starve?

I suspect it hasn't got the response you are after because most people out there probably think are more serious things to put in the Town Hall section- kids stabbing each other to death -the east London line exension - etc and so maybe this might be something to post in the Town cafe bit instead.

Its up to you if you think it really is that awful but if not everyone agrees please don't get cheesed off! :wink:
leaf

Post by leaf »

Also did i not say the women had been sacked from Somerfields ummm yes i did so NO she is not working double shifts in two shops.

It was CATLADY that said her husband was told by the woman that she was working double shifts.

No one has to buy anything they dont want to.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

So then PJWSON, what you're actually moaning about is commerce?

What you don't mention is the phenomenal profit margins that any food retailer makes from you every time you buy a product.

Actually, in this case Londis are only taking a markup of 100%, which is pretty low by comparison to the norm.

Next time you go in a cafe and buy a full English, take a few minutes to work out just how much an egg, two rashers of bacon and a spoonfull of mushrooms and beans cost at trade prices, then compare it with the £4 you've just spent.

All that's happened here is that you're being charged the same price for a wedge of cheese that you would've paid in Somerfield the day before, except now it's at the end of it's alleged 'best before' date; buy it, stick your vacuum packed bit of Wensleydale in the fridge for a month, and then don't be very surprised if it does you absolutely no harm at all when you bother to open it.

And yes, great initiative on the part of the store/employee, I've done a similar thing myself, although it was with a kind of sellotape, so maybe the underlying point of the OP was a tenous link to an H&S issue.
richpickings

Post by richpickings »

I'm conused. How are the people of Sydenham getting ripped off? Why should we boycott Londis?
It seems to me that the only people who have suffered are Somerfields and the lady who lost her job?

Confused? :?: :?: :?:
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

But did Sommerfield suffer?

They got rid of that old cheese :lol: :lol:
nork1
Location: Banned myself - can't be bothered with the Greg/Ulysses show anymore

Post by nork1 »

The Eagle wrote:But did Sommerfield suffer?

I reckon she'd be upset if she heard you call her that.
The Eagle

Post by The Eagle »

nork1 wrote:
The Eagle wrote:But did Sommerfield suffer?

I reckon she'd be upset if she heard you call her that.
ROTFL :lol: :lol:
Wispy Wonder

Post by Wispy Wonder »

PJSON is right - what Londis is doing is very shoddy.

OK - we're only talking about the price of cheese, but the point is, once the bargain stock is gone, it's gone. Their selfish behavior is depriving people of a bargain, purely to line their own pockets. It might be capitalism at work but for greedy individuals to fleece the community in this way is despicable.

As for those who have derided PJSON's thread as trivial - while cut-price food and consumables may mean little to you, try to consider those in the community less wealthy than yourselves. I'd sooner see pensioners and single parents enjoy the discounted goods at Somerfield than watch them being marked up and flogged on at 'Condis'.

Personally - I hope the 'Buy One Get One Free' woman does just that - and Bogs off!

W Wonder
leaf

Post by leaf »

I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination,but i still dont see what the fuss is about?

If there were only two places to buy cheese in the area,then yes maybe someone has lost out,but that isnt the case.

What we pay in supermarkets is waay over the actual cost,its the way it works.

If anyone is in need of cheese that badly,have a look in lidl,they have a good range of cheeses at very good prices.