Sydenham improvement works

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
Newintown

Post by Newintown »

While I'm delighted our high st is starting to look vaguely prettier, is anyone else being driven to utter misery by late night works seemingly 24/7 in the area? Struggling to cope with the constant barrage of noise from the contractors operating at all hours of the day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
parker

Re: Sydenham improvement works

Post by parker »

Hmm no, not really. What IS annoying me is the vast amount of chewing gum already stuck to what were shiny new pavements...

biscuitman1978

Post by biscuitman1978 »

Newintown wrote:While I'm delighted our high st is starting to look vaguely prettier, is anyone else being driven to utter misery by late night works seemingly 24/7 in the area? Struggling to cope with the constant barrage of noise from the contractors operating at all hours of the day.
Other than the resurfacing work I'm not quite sure which late night works you're referring to.

But as far as the resurfacing is concerned, bear in mind they need to close a main road to do the work. It wouldn't be very sensible to do that during the day when the traffic is much heavier.
Newintown

Post by Newintown »

Don't worry I'm quite realistic that this road is tricky to close. Between riney and skanska they originally started work anywhere between 6 and 8am which feels late night when you work shifts. Credit to riney they rarely start the very noisy stuff before 8 now.

I'm guessing the guy not bothered doesn't live near the station, I'd invite you to take a walk up here now, lie on the pavement and try to get some sleep. That's the closest equivalent you'll get to our flat at the moment.

Unfortunately we've decided we have no option but to move which is a shame. Sounds like no other residents in the high st have complained so its just our problem.

Also agree that it's quite amazing how trashed the new pavements are already. Hopefully when the whole area is spruced up the community will collectively decide to take a bit more pride in it, rather than a the few who currently seem to care. I look forward to coming back to the area for shopping trips etc. and will be sad not to live here any more.

goonerchamp

Post by goonerchamp »

The works are de to be completed in four weeks I think moving is a bit drastic !! (I too live on the main road and yes there are some works noise but nothing which would drive me to move out !!)

Newintown

Post by Newintown »

Count yourself lucky. High st works have been going 6 days a week for something like 6 months

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

I do appreciate your problem but moving with only 4 weeks to go seems a bit extreme , but I would imagine you have other reasons as well for moving.
Zoelee

Post by Zoelee »

I sympathise. It's fine when you are asleep , but it's getting to sleep that was the problem for us last time the works were going on outside our window - the whole flat was shaking. It will all be worth it in the end though ;)

https://vine.co/v/b3UP2gT2eaF
mosy

Post by mosy »

Well, the road works continued until almost 1.30am last night at a continual high noise level (since starting at 8pm).

Does anyone know who authorised such working?
Is it a TFL instruction for example? I'd have thought ending at 11pm or even midnight, fair enough, but 1.30am? There was no-one in the Riney office on Syd Road a a short while ago, about 4.50pm, or I'd have asked there.
Ta.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

mosy wrote:Well, the road works continued until almost 1.30am last night at a continual high noise level (since starting at 8pm).
1.30am is outrageous imo! :shock:
This should only happen for emergencies such as Gas Leaks, Water mains repair, etc..
Suprised if permission was given for non-emergency works much past 9pm!
mosy

Post by mosy »

There are (were) notices saying that roadworks would start at 8pm and I guess they wouldn't get much done in an hour once they'd appropriately located and fired up the machinery, so "late" wasn't a surprise. In some ways, albeit it must be bowing to through-flow of traffic, it will save much air pollution that would occur from horrendous queueing traffic tailback during "normal" hours so a double-edged sword. But 1.30am?
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

The wonderful new tar mac will be a godsend to our band of cycling friends , led of course by HB.
14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

Eagle wrote:The wonderful new tar mac will be a godsend to our band of cycling friends , led of course by HB.
Newly marked out, nice wide cycle lanes too! :D
Racing tyres roll much better on smooth new tarmac (with no potholes).. :wink:
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

14BradfordRoad wrote: Newly marked out, nice wide cycle lanes too! :D
Racing tyres roll much better on smooth new tarmac (with no potholes).. :wink:
I didn't see any cycle lanes on the plans. Have they finished the resurfacing? I've been coming and going via Deptford for a week or two so haven't seen the top of the High St for a while.
SepticSkeptic

Post by SepticSkeptic »

I'm particularly pleased with the double yellows outside the greyhound.
The Addison-Lee cab seemed habitually there in the evening to block cycle progress

14BradfordRoad

Post by 14BradfordRoad »

hairybuddha wrote: I didn't see any cycle lanes on the plans. Have they finished the resurfacing? I've been coming and going via Deptford for a week or two so haven't seen the top of the High St for a while.
Just wishfull thinking on my part HB!
Havn't seen the plans but Cycle lanes would be very nice..:D
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

Would have been nothing more than a lick of paint in any case. Sydenham is decades behind the times. Here's what is happening at the cutting edge of London cycling infrastructure:

mosy

Post by mosy »

Going back to the opening post, I asked in the Riney office on Friday about hours of working. Apparently the agreement to late night working is an agreement of four parties, TFL, council, H&S (several aspects) and bus company (re diversions necessary). Noisy drilling stuff has to end at 11pm, but movement of heavy vehicles falls outside of that, e.g. steam rollers with noisy engines (answering my query about noise at 1.30am); all work has to be finished by 5am, by which time road markings need to be done and allowing time for all to dry before road opens again.
Newintown

Post by Newintown »

Interesting, thanks for finding that out. I sometimes wonder if they use the first night to test it out and see whatthey can get away with. I originally posted this in a bit of a rage (you could probably tell) when the noise eventually finished at 3am. We don't have double glazing so that doesn't help but our landlord won't do anything about it so its not something I can fix.

I do appreciate that we have a beautiful new road, I'm a cyclist and it is dreamy - I'm just not a big fan of how they've gone about it. That massive machine that scrapes the road surface up and fires the debris into a lorry was definitely going on into the wee small hours. Never mind, it's done at my end of the street now - good luck to the rest of you!

Newintown

Post by Newintown »

Let's see how tonight goes, I can hear it from the other end of the street at the moment. Allegedly only an hour to go...