Sports Direct is next in line to arrive in Sydenham

The place for serious discussion, announcements and breaking news about Sydenham
leenewham

Re: Sports Direct is next in line to arrive in Sydenham

Post by leenewham »

Or perhaps we should hang back on buying things we don't need or overpriced fashion brands and ignore over saturated advertising that tells us we can only be happy with a new phone that is slightly different to last years to replace the one we bought 2 years ago that is now almost worthless.

I agree Rod.

There are alternatives, but you may have to venture onto the net if they don't sell it locally. Buy less and buy better. We often buy second hand, or make sure any wood is FSC or use as much Fairtrade goods as possible if they are new.

Just out of interest, how many people

The strange thing is, in a recession, cinema revenues tend to go up, as do sales of branded goods over own brand and things like Tesco FInest sales also go up when people want to treat themselves. People tend to go out to restaurants less and don't order as much to drink. Recessions are odd things, people don't always act how you expect them to. The fastest growing supermarkets are Lidl, Aldi, Sainbury's and Waitrose.
Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Lee I agree with most of your profound comments.

It is indeed strange what people seem to give and not give up when times are hard.

I think ,however , we should welcome a new employer in Sydenham. Great news for Sydenham's unemployed.
parker

Post by parker »

I agree with Rod... and why can't something like an M&S Simply Food open at Bell Green!? How unlucky we are to get a Sports Direct in the new development. Very impressed with having a Currys/PC World 'megastore' like Purley Way though.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
hairybuddha

Post by hairybuddha »

parker wrote:I agree with Rod
parker wrote:Very impressed with having a Currys/PC World 'megastore'
Are you sure you agree with Rod?
marymck

Post by marymck »

rod taylor wrote:
marymck wrote:
I'm glad the site doesn't judge wine producers! And that I don't like beer, which appears to be ragingly unethical!
So where does the buck stop with you Mary?

Or because many retailers have values that aren't up to scratch have you just opted out of deciding between them?
Rod I think you'll find it's not unethical to have a sense of humour. My comment about the wine was a joke. I am sorry you didn't understand that. There are certain countries whose wine I do not drink, just as there are certain countries I will not visit.

BTW I wasn't joking about the Marmite. I will no longer buy it.

marymck

Post by marymck »

leenewham wrote: The fastest growing supermarkets are Lidl, Aldi, Sainbury's and Waitrose.
Aldi, Sainsburys and Tesco unethical. Especially Aldi.

marymck

Post by marymck »

rod taylor wrote:["][quote="rod taylor"
I wasn't suggesting you had or didn't have a sense of humour. I just wondered where you stood on it.[/quote]

Well for example, I will not go to Turkey, nor will I knowingly buy products from there.

And, again for example, thanks to Lee's list, things that I really love I can now no longer stomach. Pimms and Marmite are amongst them. I know that sounds a tiny and silly thing to have to give up, but I wonder how many beer drinkers have checked Lee's list to see what they should give up?

Sports Direct manufacture goods too. I won't buy them, nor will I shop in their store. But then I wouldn't have done so anyway, so it's a bit meaningless for me to say so. Also, thanks to Lee's info I will no longer shop at Aldi. But that was something I rarely did anyway. Giving up Marmite and Pimms - silly as it sounds - is something I will miss.

If I am aware something is unethical, I will not buy it.

If you want to stop shops like sports direct coming to sydenham, why not put pressure on the council or the owners of the bell green site to ban unethical shops? I'd sign a petition.

marymck

Post by marymck »

rod taylor wrote:
marymck wrote:
leenewham wrote: The fastest growing supermarkets are Lidl, Aldi, Sainbury's and Waitrose.
Aldi, Sainsburys and Tesco unethical. Especially Aldi.

So is your point that as so many operations are 'unethical' that any attempt to differentiate between them is unnecessary?
No.

Willy

Post by Willy »

And, again for example, thanks to Lee's list, things that I really love I can now no longer stomach. Pimms and Marmite are amongst them
That sounds like the worst drink ever
leenewham

Post by leenewham »

Mary, Lidl are the worst, followed by Aldi. Sainsbury's are pretty good with large ranges of Fairtrade goods, even in their value lines but have some issues. But they have been leading in some areas recently like only having free range eggs in their own brand goods, which they didn't have to do. Tesco aren't the worst, but have all sort of issues. They aren't evil, but from my own experience of working with them I refuse to shop there, they have a nasty culture art head office.
marymck

Post by marymck »

:lol:
Willy wrote:
And, again for example, thanks to Lee's list, things that I really love I can now no longer stomach. Pimms and Marmite are amongst them
That sounds like the worst drink ever
:lol: :lol: :lol:

CaptainCarCrash

Post by CaptainCarCrash »

The problem for many including me is that i don't want to give everything up and become a peasant farmer, but if we're talking about ethics then the only way to fully embrace it is to abandon the modern world and join some sort of comune and live in a tent like Cat Worzel and become one of the great unwashed of something.

I don't think that it's possible to be a 100% ethical consumer without it costing an absolute fortune and this is where the problem lies.
marymck

Post by marymck »

rod taylor wrote:
marymck wrote: If you want to stop shops like sports direct coming to sydenham, why not put pressure on the council or the owners of the bell green site to ban unethical shops? I'd sign a petition.
I'm taking on Tesco at the moment, but you're free to!

The problem is one of national philosophy, really. Action at a local level will not change the philosophy at a national level. It's also personal, I suppose. There is a whole stream of people who are just utterly indifferent. A lot of that is a lack of education, and a reliance on the system that we have. In some of the more Tory small towns in places like Oxfordshire you can get local action because people have certain feeling about the sort of town they want. Towns like Sydenham, with large states, and a 'busy' working population suffer to an extent.
I'm battling Sainsburys over their pub grab policies.

Eagle

Post by Eagle »

Oh no not another 400 anti Tesco posts.
Andwar

Post by Andwar »

Pity it's not a 'John Lewis at Home' , we need some decent shops rather than the ubiquitous 'Stack them high, sell them cheap' stores such as Sports Direct.
marymck

Post by marymck »

Andwar wrote:Pity it's not a 'John Lewis at Home' , we need some decent shops rather than the ubiquitous 'Stack them high, sell them cheap' stores such as Sports Direct.
Well there is going to be a Next. I don't know what their ethics are like and I've not shopped there since the days of shoulder pads and big hair, neither of which were my thing.

The Clown

Post by The Clown »

I was almost having a marmite crisis there, but there may have been some erm... incorrectly "digested" info here.

Marmite is a slightly different product in Aus / NZ and IS produced by Sanitarium who are owned by the Seventh Blahh-de-blah Church but the UK product is owned by Unilever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marmite

Had breakfast yet?
Steveofsyd

Post by Steveofsyd »

I doubt that many of you have shopped in Sports Direct as you certainly don't sound like you know what you are talking about. Yes it "piles them high and sells them cheap" but the majority of the goods are the same as any other sports shop. They just have a lot more.
Nike, Reebok, Adidas, Puma, etc , they are not "tat" or cheap knockoffs. SD are primarily a retailer and not a manufacturer. The products are bought in bulk and sold much cheaper.
I shop there regularly there as do many parents I know to get sports kit for the kids. Children grow and unlike us, they need all new kit, trainers etc every season.
Yes if I want to get a cricket bat for my son I go to the shop in Beckenham, but for trainers, footie boots, team kits, footballs I go to SD in Bromley, I know what I want and am in and out, with pounds still in my pocket.

parker

Post by parker »

Does anybody know exactly which unit Sports Direct will be opening in, the only advertising I can see for it is on the small retail unit below the flats INFRONT of Sainsbury's...

Also when is Next Home opening...?