Pissarro Sydenham pic for auction

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Juwlz

Pissarro Sydenham pic for auction

Post by Juwlz »

I have done a reproduction of the 1871 painting 'The Avenue, Sydenham' by Pissarro which is going to be auctionned tomorrow (sat 28th) night . It features Lawrie Park Avenue and St. Bartholomew's church, Westwood Hill. The auction is to raise money for the rewiring of the church.

This painting is done as close as possible to the original (top quality oil paints on canvas) and the same size. The auction is invite only, so anyone seriously interested in bidding on this painting call Erica on 0208 659 9598 to make an inquiry. Alternatively anyone who can't make it to the auction but would like to bid anyway send me a PM.

The original is in the National Gallery and cost them £560,000 back in 1984, but you can get this one, which is as similar as I could manage, for fraction of the price.

To see the actual reproduction that I have painted visit this link:
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id ... 598&size=l

You can compare this with the original which can be seen at this link:
http://www.nationalgallery.org.uk/cgi-b ... ction=work
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Wow, very well done to you, Juwlz!! :shock: That must have taken a long time... How did the auction go in the end?
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Hi Falkor,

Thanks! The auction went fine. The pic (which took about 5 days) made £490 for the electrical work, so that's not bad I suppose.
If I ever get the time I might do another one because I'm going to miss that painting!

There were a lot of other things auctionned too, so a fair bit of money was raised (not sure exactly but probably around £3,000). Beforehand I didn't even realise that churches get no help from the government financially and so have to raise everything themselves if they have building work that needs doing. The whole church building is going to cost £40,000 to rewire which is a lot of money to have to raise.
annabel mclaren

Post by annabel mclaren »

I can vouch for the fact that Juwlz' painting is superb - and caused a lot of excitement at the auction! The evening was wonderful - well done to Erica and everyone at St Barts.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Nice one, Juwlz! Did you watch the Apprentice last week on BBC1? Paintings and photos were being sold for around the same price on behalf of professional artists, who do this kind of thing for a living. You considered this might be a career move for you, away from the desktop, onto the real canvas? Anyway, congratulations on the painting and auction; all the Sydenhamites must be extremely proud of you! :)
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Cheers Falkor.
I didn't watch the apprentice but believe it or not I did actually train as a fine artist (ie paintings) as well. So far its always been a whole lot easier to make a living as a graphic designer, but you never know…
fishcox

Post by fishcox »

Hi Juwlz

I havent posted on here for ages, but was so impressed by your picture, I just had to congratulate you.

When I first moved to Sydenham in 85, I was wandering around the National Gallery, when I spotted the picture, and realised that it was painted not far from where I lived. It was partly due to the picture that I fell in love with the area and its history.

If you can paint as well as that, you should do a few more of the area, and get your own exhibition in Kirkdale Books.
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Gee fishcox thanks! :oops:

Unfortunatley I am ashamed to say that I have never seen the real painting in the flesh.
Before I painted the copy I planned to go down to the National Gallery and have a good look. I was gutted when I found out its not there because its gone on tour in America for a whole year!

I like your idea though. Maybe I should try to do some copies of his other paintings from around the area.
Dotkin

Post by Dotkin »

Julwlz this is really brilliant! Well done! I think the idea of you doing your own pics and exhibiting them locally is a great idea - you should consider it!!
hilsbee

Post by hilsbee »

Can I add my voice to someone who would be very interested in prints, watercolours, drawings of the local area - you should try it and see!
Juwlz

Post by Juwlz »

Well, there's certainly seems to be alot of interest so I might have to think about it.
I'll keep you posted…