Festival of Empire at Crystal Palace in 1911

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
JoyD

Festival of Empire at Crystal Palace in 1911

Post by JoyD »

I have seen lots of photographs online about the Festival, but have not found any information about the attached. Even if I never find any other pictures of them, they are still nice to have; they belonged to a great-aunt.
Chris Doran

Re: Festival of Empire at Crystal Palace in 1911

Post by Chris Doran »

The right-hand one is listed in Leslie Allen's "Coincraft" catalogue as SY-1911/040 but without any more information than is written on it. He categorises it as "Very rare, very difficult to find". I think I was outbid on one on eBay a few months ago. He doesn't list the left-hand one, at least not around 1911. Is there anything on it to definitely tie it to the Palace/FoE?
JoyD

Post by JoyD »

Thank you, that is fascinating. They were among memorabilia recently given to me from a relative's estate (a cousin of my late father). The only reason I had for thinking that it was connected to the Palace/FoE was that they, with three other items, were wrapped together, and that the two items in the first picture I posted were on similar ribbon that, unfortunately, is disintegrating now, and similar clasps.
I have attempted to reduce the size of the scans and shall attach more now.
Also there is a photo of her that we thought may have been of her taking part in the gymnastics. Her initials would have been M.H. on the badges; she married in 1919.
JoyD

Post by JoyD »

Attached are articles found in The Times about the National Gymnastic Display in 1912 and 1913, at the Crystal Palace Football Ground.