Interesting new book coming soon

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Rebelmc

Interesting new book coming soon

Post by Rebelmc »

Well, I think it is anyway!

A friend of mine is currently in the final stages of research for his forthcoming book on the life and times of Crystal Palace speedway track.

This track plays an important part in the history of the sport for several reasons; it was one of the first to be opened in London during the formative months of UK speedway, when it would attract tens of thousands of supporters on a weekly basis (at the time, speedway was probably only second to football in terms of attendances), it was the first to use the now obligatory electric starting gate and it metamorphosed into one of the most famous teams in the history of the sport when the team and promotion were forced to move to New Cross.

The track has already featured in my friend's earlier published work on the speedway tracks of London, but this new book will be entirely devoted to the subject and so will investigate the happenings there in greater detail.

If anyone is interested, I will happily update you on the progress of this mighty tome.
Pat Trembath

Post by Pat Trembath »

Any new book on the history of our local area is welcome - I, for one, would be interested in having the opportunity to buy. Pl inform us of publication date, when known.
speedstox12

Re: Interesting new book coming soon

Post by speedstox12 »

Does anyone know more about a book on Crystal Palace Speedway mentioned in a 2007 message? Was it ever published?
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

The update is, Crystal Palace ended up featuring as the opening chapters of a history of New Cross speedway, but the publisher felt the book was too long and removed the CP section, then it was decided there wasn't enough content to warrant a stand alone book, which is probably fair, as the track was only in full operation for about 5 years, although it did make an enormous contribution to the early development of the sport in the UK.

The history of New Cross was published a few years ago and I did see a copy on the shelf at Kirkdale Books.

The good news is, since I wrote the original post, pretty much everything you could want to know has appeared somewhere on the net, it's just not all collected in one place and it can take a bit of searching.
Rebelmc

Post by Rebelmc »

I take back all I said-almost!

What I previously posted was true, but I've subsequently discovered that the CP history was fleshed out and published...........

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Crystal-Palace- ... 598&sr=8-1

Voila!