Baxters fields

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Conker

Baxters fields

Post by Conker »

During my little conversazione with Robin Orton in the pub I remembered somewhere on here reading he likes to walk in Baxters fields.

That recall threw up so many childhood memories
I knew this spot well, living over the Kirkdale bit opp Charlecote st. When I was a small child we used to play in what was then abandoned allotments, a great source of free fruit in Blackcurrant time, as well as rhubarb and gooseberries. I also recall its being turned into the open space it is now late 1950s.
But what was it before it was allotments? Did the allotments date back to the 1914-18 war or what?

I also seem to remember at least one V1 falling there behind the girls school but cannot remember any craters. Us kids would have been in it like a shot.

A field belonging to a farmer named Baxter would be just too easy
Robin Orton

Re: Baxters fields

Post by Robin Orton »

Very interesting, Conker - I hadn't realised that there had been allotments where the park currently is.

According to a plaque near the Charlecote Grove entrance, the park is named after George Baxter, who is credited with the invention of a commercially viable method of colour printing in the nineteenth century. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Baxter_(printer). According to the plaque, he actually lived in Peak Hill, which is some way away. But he married Mary Harrild, daughter of another printing pioneer,Robert Harrild, who lived in Round Hill, only a hundred yard from the park. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Harrild
Conker

Post by Conker »

I was beginning to think no one could answer, possibly then it was allotments on land owned by Baxter due to his having a a large house nearby? Might have been a horse paddock...I just looked at Round Hill on street view, my god how its changed..... I knew it well as it was often part of my route home from school, it was just loose flint surface for most of its length; I also knew the Baxter/ Harrild house on Round Hill, though it was very run down and was some kind of Labour Party social club.
The Spire was nearer the road as well, almost hidden in a thick growth of Japanese knot-weed; myself and a school friend became convinced, because of the hollow sound inside, that there was some kind of secret basement under it and spent a fruitless day digging in it.
That awful gated house on the corner replaces what was a rather nice period house; its done the area no favours has it?

not yours is it? :oops:
Round Hill has changed out of all recognition..
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

No, it's not.

Where exactly on Round Hill was the Harrild house? I gather it was Harrild who had the St Antholin's spire re-erected in his garden.

There are still at least two attractive buildings on Round Hill (apart from the St Antholin's spire) : Round Hill Cottage on the north side of the junction with Dartmouth Road, and the strikingly ornate façade of the Courtside flats (I wonder when they were built?), on the south side further up the hill.