Crouchers of Sydenham

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Graham

Crouchers of Sydenham

Post by Graham »

Does any one have any information on the Croucher family in Sydenham?

The branch I am concerned with is the family of John Croucher, wife Mary Ann, and children John (jun) James (my grandfather) William, George and Rose.

In the 1911 census they are recorded as living at 209 Sydenham Road but later, as in the picture attached they had moved a few doors along the road to 201 and opened the shop.
Mary Ann Croucher (Atkins) & Daughter Rose at 201 Sydenham Road Greengrocers.JPG
John
john(sen).jpg
before this was a general dealer and sold fish on Greenwich market, later in 1936 after his wife died in 1929 he moved the shop to New cross.

Rose married a Thomas Parker and I am led to believe that this is them with John Croucher on the wedding day. Although if this is her she does llok different from the girl in the shop doorway.
Thomas(Mick) Parker, Rose Parker & John (Jack) Croucher.JPG
The only other one I know anything about is George Croucher, who sold shellfish outside the Man of Kent pub and also was a "totter". Apparently he kept his horse and cart at Plane St in a yard belonging to Harry Edney.

George himself lived at 209 Sydenham Road in 1938 when he was married to Dorothy Elsie Burton. They later moved and lived for many years at 3 Larkbere Road. George died in 1962 and his wife, I believe, in 1973.

I dont know if they had any children, I am told via the good people on Facebook who remember him, that he was a real old Londoner, who lived on his wits, and did a bit of ducking and diving, but was a great bloke.

James, my grandfather was a self employed builder, living in and around Forest Hill. he joined the Territorial Army in 1920 and was on the anti aircraft guns at Penge during the second world war. Does any one have any information on the guns and location?

Hopefully, some of you may have some info or anecdotes.
Peskiman

Re: Crouchers of Sydenham

Post by Peskiman »

Hi Graham,
I had a look at the Sydenham forum the other day & was pleased to see your notes & pictures.
I don't have any more Croucher info at the moment but if you want me to do any local enquiries or take pictures I will do my best.
Hope all is well with you & yours,
Kind regards,
Bill PESCOD