Family History Research

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Prussian

Family History Research

Post by Prussian »

My great great great maternal grandmother Elizabeth NORMAN lived on Bradford Road, Sydenham, Lewisham, Kent at the time of the 1881 Census with her grandson George aged 12. Elizabeth had previously lived from 1841 on Wells Lane/Road (Sydenham Common) which is now Wells Park Road. She died in the area in 1885 age 85. Looking to trace her final resting place. A search of Deceased Online where such records are now said to be held has drawn a blank. Perhaps there is a small cemetery in the vicinity not run by the council which still hold its own burial records?
Michael Viner

Re: Family History Research

Post by Michael Viner »

Dear Prussian-There is the grave of a John Norman-died 1852,aged 62-in the churchyard of St.Bartholomews Church,Westwood Hill,Sydenham.Could this be a relation? The headstone is very worn with age and only just legible. There has never been a cemetery in Sydenham(other than the private Catholic one at St.Mary's Oratory,built over in the 50's)there's just the few buried in St.Bart's Churchyard,really. The nearest cemeteries are Elmers End,Nunhead and West Norwood.The latter two-two of the 'Magnificent Seven'Victorian cemeteries of London-in particular are well worth a visit
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

Dear Michael,

Thank you for taking the time to look into my enquiry and your interesting reply. There is a good chance that this 1852 burial is my John NORMAN since his wife Elizabeth is recorded as a widow come the 1861 Census for Sydenham. I suppose she could also be buried in the same churchyard. I will contact the church to enquire about searching their parish records.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Parish records will be at London Metropolitan Archives. Lots of them are on Ancestry, worth checking just in case.
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

Thank you, Michael.
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

and thanks to RJM.
marymck

Post by marymck »

The North West Kent Family History Society publish CDs of a number of parish registers and bishop's transcripts that may be of interest to people who don't live close enough to visit church or archives. This includes some St Bart's records.

http://www.nwkfhs.org.uk/nwkindex10.htm
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

Mary,

Thank you.

Gordon
kathym

Post by kathym »

It seems we share the same great great great grandparents. Good luck with your quest. I was unsuccessful trying to find the same information some years ago.
It might interest you to know that the Normans (my mother was one) still occupied 5 properties in Bradford Rd until it was redeveloped in 1970. I have fond memories of the place.
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

Kathym,

Great to receive your message.

I will send a private message in the hope you would like to communicate further regarding our shared ancestry.

Gordon
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

I was unable to find John Norman's gravestone in St Bartholomews Churchyard in 2016 nor was John H. more recently. However, I have just found this entry entry online courtesy of Find A Grave

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.c ... 436&df=all&

Thank you to Chris Doran.

I now believe this is my John NORMAN in view of name of wife and children recorded in the 1851 Census.

Gordon
https://www.myheritage.com/site-2980956 ... man-family
Ntw

Post by Ntw »

I do not know if it is related to your family but there is a big connection to the Norman family in Bromley, not far away from Sydenham.

They owned a large house (on site of present Bromley college) and estate and were big land owners.

The house burnt down in 1946 and the family moved away but I believe they still own a lot of land in the area under the Rookery Estates company. The Rookery was the name of their house.

If there is a connection to your family it may bring some further information to you.

Nigel
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

Nigel,

Many thanks for this information.

I will discuss with my cousin who has a closer connection with our NORMAN family.

Gordon
https://www.myheritage.com/site-2980956 ... man-family
sherlomi

Post by sherlomi »

There is a very large park right next to Bromley College called Norman Park which I think
is probably connected to Norman family of Bromley.
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

Sherlomi,

Thank you - I will investigate.

Gordon
Ntw

Post by Ntw »

Indeed, Norman park was part of the estate and I believe, donated to the council for public use by the family.

I recently found out James Norman had a hunting/shooting lodge which survives on Bromley common and is actually for sale at the moment.

Nigel
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

Nigel,

Thank you for this additional information.

I'm now pretty certain this is not my NORMAN family as they were of very modest means and earliest known ancestor was born in Cambridgeshire in 1793. My John and Elizabeth NORMAN did not move to Sydenham until after their marriage in Middlesex in 1820.

Gordon
Prussian

Post by Prussian »

I have been given some old photographs of my associated FRYAR family of Sydenham. Only 2 of the 5 have a name(s) written on thre back. One group family photograph was taken by H. Hallier of 41 High Street, Sydenham whose studio was established in 1864. I wonder whether the studios negatives survive today, since the back of the photograph includes a reference number?

Another photograph was taken Percy Mitchell of Sydenham.