Falkor's virtual tour of the Egyptian Court (Crystal Palace)

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Falkor

Falkor's virtual tour of the Egyptian Court (Crystal Palace)

Post by Falkor »

See [Tule Hill Terry's thread] for technical info. relating to the Egyptian architecture. I'll only be describing the significance of each view as a photographic record and to make the user more familiar with different parts of the court, so you are able to better envisage it. Most of the rare shots have been taken from Terry's thread.

Workshop for the Egyptian Court.

Workshop for the Egyptian Court.

The potent columns of the Egyptian Court during construction. Different types of Egyptian columns were showcased in different parts of the court--sometimes with papyrus leaves at the top or even lotus themed.

My own route for showcasing the Egyptian Court based on the available pictures.

Looking from the Renaissance Court, across the Nave, towards the Egyptian Court entrance.

The entrance to the Egyptian Court is masked behind the plants and sculpture in the Nave.

The entrance to the Egyptian Court seen during construction at an angle from the Nave, before any Lions (or Kubs as I call em') have been placed on guard.

Similar view to previous one, but as a coloured lithograph--this time complete with the avenue of 8 lions (or Kubs!). This is as far to the left as we can see from the main entrance, showing one end of the Court of Amenophis III. Note: here is just one of a number of different entrances enabling access to the Egyptian Court.

The opposite end of the Egyptian Court entrance at a much sharper angle, showing the cross-bracing that helped support the structure, which was covered in Ivy so that people didn't bump into it.

Main entrance from a construction photo; no plants are in the scene yet.

Now you can see the plants.

Another view of the main entrance. In the distance can be seen some miniature figures in the Tomb of Aboo Simbel. The Aboo Simbel figures in the North Transept were much closer to life-size than these little things, which can be seen up-close in a coloured photo near the end of this "virtual tour".

Still standing at the entrance, this engraving shows another Kub perpendicular to the rest. This is as far to the right of the entrance as can be seen in any view, with part of the adjoining Greek Court also shown.

Another lithograph of the main entrance with people present.

Similar to the last view.

A view of the entrance taken much later.

Yet another view of the entrance--this time taken in 1892--still nothing has changed.

The Outer Court looking in the direction of the Greek Court (contained different style columns to the present court) and through to the Roman Court (arches were prevalent here). On the left is the statues of Rameses The Great.

A direct view of the statues.

Construction of the Rameses The Great figures.

Painting of the figures.

How accurate these colours are in this painting is anyone's guess.

Rotating slightly to the north, the chariot painting (actually a battle scene) can be seen in more detail. Note this in your mind as a reference point for the last set of Outer Court photos coming up.

Similar to the previous view, albeit more detailed.

Looking back in the direction of the Egyptian Court entrance with only 2 kubs guarding this side; keep this tame pair in mind for later! The other entrance to the Greek Court through the Greek Vestibule is also shown.

Turning 180 degrees, this view shows the other end of the Outer Court with people present. Like the opposite end there are 2 doorways; this time towards the Court of Amenophis III. There is another painting on the wall.

The entrance to the Court of Amenophis III from the Greek And Roman Sculpture Court, leading to the Outer Court.

The entrance to the Court of Amenophis III from the Nave. Our line of sight also passes through the dark, unseen, Rock Tomb Of Beni Hassan. At the very end can be glimped a statue of the Egyptian Museum, but one which we can fortunately examine in the penultimate photo of this series.

Similar to the previous view, taken at the time of construction in 1853-1854.

A nice angled view looking from the Court of Amenophis III into the Outer Court.

Back inside the Outer Court with the statues of Rameses The Great.

A wide view of The Outer Court taken at a later date, showing both exits to the Greek Vestibule. Note the lights hanging from the ceiling.

The space in the Outer Court was evidently used for temporary exhibitions of the same theme. Here, apparently, were real mummies placed in the court!

Royal navy officers playing Chess inside the Outer Court of the Egyptian Court.

Looking back at the entrance towards the nave--this time the pair of lions are gone.

Do you recognise the chariot painting on the wall? It seems the Outer Court was used for exhibiting Sphinxes of a similar wilder kind that survive today along the upper terraces outside. But where did they get these indoor ones from?

Same as the previous photo, abeit in more detail.

I wonder if these Outer Court sphinxes, which are not seen in earlier views, originated from the North Transept as avenue survivors of the 1866 fire.

Looking back into the Outer Court through the lower, eastern most, doorway, from the Greek Vestibule. Two figures guard the way.

In this view, the photographer has taken a step back from the previous view, to reveal a third figure along the Egyptian side of the Greek Vestibule.

One of the seated figures being decorated during the construction period of the palace.

The Greek Vestibule from the Nave looking towards the Gallery of Greek sculpture.

Same as the previous view. Egypt is on the left; Greece on the right.

From the Greek Court, looking across the Greek Vestibule and into the Outer Court with the statues of Rameses The Great.

Same viewpoint as the previous shot, albeit closer.

Same photo, this time in more detail.

Looking from the top, western-most, end of the Greek Vestibule across the Nave and perhaps as far as the Elizabethan Court on the other side.

The photographer has turned away from the Nave, now with the Gallery on his right, looking into the Hall Of Karnac Columns from the Atrium. At the end of the columns can be seen the Court of Greek and Roman Sculpture through another one of the Egyptian Court access points.

Looking from the Greek and Roman Sculpture Court into the Egyptian Court

Same as the previous view, but this time there are English busts being exhibited as opposed to Greek and Roman Sculpture for some reason.

A seldom seen entrance into the Egyptian Court from the Greek And Roman Sculpture Court via. the Rock Tomb Of Beni Hassan, guarded by sphinxes set in identical formation to those of the South Transept and North Transept entrances from the palace Garden Front (The wider and more grander Central Transept had double sphinxes each side!)

The Hall Of Karnac Columns seen from the Rock Tomb Of Beni Hassan towards the Atrium of The Greek Court.

The Inner Court looking towards the doorway into the Gallery of Greek Sculpture. Through to the right is the Hall Of Karnac Columns. Through the columns on the left is the seldom seen Egyptian Museum.

The same doorway referred to in the previous caption, showing it's construction before the low wall had been fitted.

A more detailed view of the one before last.

A window into the Karnac columns of the previous view, before the time of lighting.

Looking from the Gallery of Greek and Roman Sculpture above the main courts, back into the Inner Court of the Egyptian Court. Note the figure beside the farthest doorway.

Same as the previous view, but the photographer is standing a little closer. Note that the farthest doorway actually has 2 figures in the expected array.

The Tomb Of Aboo Simbel in colour--one of only 6 colour photos ever taken inside or outside the Crystal Palace--showing the recess containing the small Aboo Simbel figures.

Looking back along the Karnac Columns of the Inner Court. At the very end can be glimpsed a doorway leading into the Rock Tomb Of Beni Hassan.

The Egyptian Museum looking through the columns into the Inner Court with the Hall Of Karnack Columns beyond. Inside the museum, one of it's statues can be seen in the wrong place; this photo was taken at the time of construction.

The second of only six 1936 colour photos taken inside the Crystal Palace, this one taken from a similar viewpoint to the previous B&W photo, but with a statue residing in the void of the Inner Court.

Anymore pics of the Egyptian Court out there???

Anyway, here's the coverage of the Egyptian Court, based on the series of 60 photos above and final analysis, highlighted in red:
The sides in blue are not shown in any views above. However, no doubt we'll come across more photos in the future, which atleast show more of the museum.

Egyptian Court: Top 10 Most Wanted Pics

1) The Egyptian Museum--apparently contained many statues and copy of the rosetta stone.
2) The Rock Tomb Of Beni Hassan--possibly too dark to be photographed.
3) The 2 entrances in the southwest, nearest to the main entrance in the Central Transept.
4) The Tomb Of Aboo Simbel from alternative angles.
5) Full view of the southern end of the Inner Court
6) The perimeter walls of the Hall Of Karnac Columns.
7) More coverage of the Court of Amenophis III.
8 ) Southeastern corner of the Egyptian Court.
9) Better quality photos of the southern facade from the Greek And Roman Sculpture Court
10) Upgrades to existing photos.
Last edited by Falkor on 6 Dec 2007 23:02, edited 24 times in total.
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

Map from the Handbook.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I wish I could have presented my "virtual tour" in the correct order of oldest to newest, but the lack of photos restricted me. Maybe I should have a go at doing a 3D model instead then you can take any route you wish.

I'm going to check the complete coverage soon. I can already see that one end of the Inner Court contained figures beside the doorway, but can only be seen in a distant photo from the Greek gallery. Only one corner of the museum can be seen among the photos, but a statue can be peaked from the nave (the one shown in the penultimate photo; seen standing in a temporary position during construction). The southeast corner of the court itself cannot be seen in any view from the Nave, Central Transept or Greek and Sculture gallery.. Judging by the Phillips book, there is lot's of other stuff not shown in the photos from the Court of Amunoph and Rock Tomb of Beni Hassan. The museum was definitely the least photographed. In the last 2 shots, the photographers have their backs to where we want to see. My favourite view, besides the double sphinx entrance, is this one:
Anyone got this in higher res?

Is it me or is the Egyptian court--despite my observations--the most photographed court in the palace? No doubt it'll be a struggle with the other courts, plus there's parts of the Nave we'll never see. I think the Alhambra Court, the favourite of the pros, actually has least coverage. Everyone must have been drawn to the Court Of Lions, oblivious to the other parts.
tulse hill terry

Don't be disheartened, I think you are just coming up to the limit of what can be done with static 2D images, and as I said, with an interior which could be accessed from all sides, it's hard to choose a linear route for description.

I have tried myself with isometric drawings, (very rough sketch of the colonade of the English Mediaeval Court below), but with such regular measurements, 8 feet, and multiples of 24 feet, the tops of walls meet the bottoms of ones behind.

I have heards rumours of someone from an English university planning a 3D animation of the interior, similar to the one done for the Great Exhibition. This must surely be the only solution, and a dream of mine and probably many others.

As to the Alhambra Court, chosen perhaps by Owen Jones' visit to Granada years before, apart from the "Court of the Lions" the rest of it had ceilings making it much darker and so harder to photograph, at the time engravings were made from photographs, which maybe why they don't seem to exist either. I have seen photgraphs of parts of the court after the fire of 1936, as well other parts of the North Nave.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I have heards rumours of someone from an English university planning a 3D animation of the interior, similar to the one done for the Great Exhibition. This must surely be the only solution, and a dream of mine and probably many others.
Me too; I hope it comes to fruition!
As to the Alhambra Court, chosen perhaps by Owen Jones' visit to Granada years before, apart from the "Court of the Lions" the rest of it had ceilings making it much darker and so harder to photograph, at the time engravings were made from photographs, which maybe why they don't seem to exist either. I have seen photgraphs of parts of the court after the fire of 1936, as well other parts of the North Nave.
I see. Maybe the "Rock Tomb Of Beni Hassan" was too dark to photograph as well.

Edit: Coverage analysis has been tagged onto the end of my opening post.
tulse hill terry

Well done! And well spotted about the model of Aboo Simbel.

I do think this view and the one below are from the same standpoint though.

Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Well done! And well spotted about the model of Aboo Simbel.
Yeah, I got there in the end re: captions; English isn't my strong point. Seems to take me a long time to construct sentences... :?
I do think this view and the one below are from the same standpoint though.
Yeah, but one view doesn't have the lions! I knew these Courts would have evolved, but I never thought I would find out how. This research has brought to light some very good examples of evolution, including the live mummies and mysterious appearance of the indoor Sphinxes. I just hope the other courts will be this interesting if I decide to map them out...

The hunt is now on for some new pics of the Egyptian Court...! I should never have got involved in this... :D
tulse hill terry

Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Nice one! I can see where that's taken from... it covers one of the missing perimeter walls of the Hall Of Karnac Columns backing onto the giant Outer Court figures, although I realise it was possible to walk through this "wall". Thanks mate.

It's a shame I didn't save the Ebay auctions that had the really tiny thumbs. I bet untold rare views have come and gone.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I wonder what entrance this is...
It's from the Greek and Roman Sculpture Court, and there's a large object against the wall, similar to the giant figures in the Outer Court, so this could be one of the Southwestern entrances looking into either the Museum or Inner Court.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Falkor

Post by Falkor »

tulse hill terry

Nice one, are they "Talbots?"

General Gordon of Khartoum, 1890 by Edward Onslow Ford (1852-1901)
now at Gordon Boys School, Woking.

"The Last Call" by Charles Bell Birch (1832-1893).
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Dunno... they're from the Museum Of London Prints...

Here's some others I've found, but they could do with an upgrade, like a lot of views...

This must be the final unseen entrance looking into the Inner Court with 2 figures standing!
tulse hill terry

No mystery where these came from!

Paul Robeson at the Palace.

Nave - East facade after the fire of 1936.

Amazing what went on under the floorboards,

ooh, just seen you've responded to my last post already, great minds think alike!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Yeah, my mate used to always go on about the "rubble shots", saying how much can be spotted in them. I never really examined them before, until now, since seeing your latest 1866 fire shots showing the vaulting of the basement. You also described the other shot--as well as presented full coverage of the Byzantine Court--in excellent context. I can pretty much say that I know my way around there now, like the Egyptian Court, without having been there. 8)
tulse hill terry

Well Falkor, youre definitely raising the bar. Any thoughts on an acquarium thread?
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

BTW, I'll edit all my ramblings out of your thread sometime soon... As for starting a separate Aquarium thread, I don't think there's much to show of it, unless you have any stereoviews, rare photos or alternative artwork compared to the common views I already posted...
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Main entrance/east facade from the Nave.
Last edited by Falkor on 8 Dec 2007 20:29, edited 1 time in total.
Falkor

Post by Falkor »