Wed 30 Jan 2008: Steve Grindlay talk - Forest Hill

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Blushingsnail

Wed 30 Jan 2008: Steve Grindlay talk - Forest Hill

Post by Blushingsnail »

Steve Grindlay will be giving a talk on the history of Forest Hill and Honor Oak at 7.00pm on Wednesday 30th January 2008 in The Hob pub (upstairs), opposite Forest Hill Station.

If you've ever wondered about the canal, the trains, the Victorian shops, local architects and prominent residents, then come along to hear Steve’s fascinating story of SE23 brought to life with a wealth of photos, maps and documents.

The event is organised by the Forest Hill Society and entry is free (although voluntary donations to help fund future FH Society activities will be welcome).

Sydenhamites welcome!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

Great, I'll be there! Even if I can't scrounge some travel expenses to get down there, I'll have to just walk it...
DigitalFX

Pub night

Post by DigitalFX »

Hay,

Just confirming also that I will be attending with a friend and looking forward to it.

Gaz
tulse hill terry

Post by tulse hill terry »

What a huge turnout tonight!

Can I suggest Steve invests in a Madonna-esque headset?

DigitalFX

Evening

Post by DigitalFX »

Well,

What can I say......

It was great evening and Steve was the perfact host. It was great to learn about so many things that I never know about Forest hill and was so pleased that Steve had such a great turn out of people.

Well done to all involved in the operation of the evening and I look forward to the next local talk from Steve.

WELL DONE !!!

Gaz
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

120 people! :shock: That's a 150% increase over the last event; the Forest Hill Society is going from strength to strength. Excellent job, Steve, VERY WELL DONE! Nice all-round historical presentation... The revision I did last night and 2 hour walkabout today with my friend around Honor Oak Park, One Tree Hill and Honor Oak Road really paid off... My friend loved it... Any mention of Queen Elizabeth, oak trees, fireworks, golf course, canal, common et al were ringing bells with him throughout the first half of the talk. A few rare pics in the presentation I hadn't seen before, including 2nd view of atmospheric railway house and the cinema in Wastdale Road. Lot's of new information, including the Dartmouth Road terrace being built same time as Dartmouth Arms, and in the same style. I thought Steve was able to present the flesh on the bones of his historical research using modern day photos and his collection of artefacts to go hand-in-hand with old photos. I'd imagine this approach made everything more interesting for people. I think my favourite slide was the first one about pre-history, though I found the whole thing to be informative and a real eye-opener. I thought it was going to be similar information that was provided on the walkabout, yet it was altogether different. I don't know how Steve managed to pull it off with such a crowd of people, but he really did!
Falkor

Post by Falkor »

I just came across this link from the Forest Hill Society's blog:
http://fhhistory.blogspot.com/
It's the slideshow from Steve's talk!
will greenwood

Post by will greenwood »

thanks a lot for this, Falkor and Steve!
excellent stuff, as always.