Sydenham Children's Hospital

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
audgeoff

Sydenham Children's Hospital

Post by audgeoff »

In 1935 I was a patient in the above hospital for several months suffering from bronchial pneumonia. I am aware that the building has been demolished but am wondering whether there are still patient records available with access to the public?

Of course I am unable to remember anything of the hospital, however my dad used to tell me that one day he dashed in and read the riot act after seeing me in my cot on the balcony. I suppose in those days fresh air was supposedly good for me but he thought otherwise! I feel very fortunate to have survived because then there was no access to antibiotics.

I have a photograph of myself with one of the nurses and Sir Percy Vincent, the then Lord Mayor of London, which featured on the front page of the Daily Mirror.

I was born in Kangley Bridge Road from where I moved to Sidcup in 1962.

In view of the above I would be pleased if someone could help me trace any of my records.

Audrey Patterson (nee Woodhatch)
RJM

Re: Sydenham Children's Hospital

Post by RJM »

There is some stuff at Kent History Centre, and some reports at Lewisham Local History Library & Archives: http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.u ... 20children

Bear in mind that patient records might not still exist (although either of those two places might know if they do - they won't exactly be publicly available, but you'd be able to access your own if they're still in existence).
audgeoff

Re: Sydenham Children's Hospital

Post by audgeoff »

Thank you very much for this information. I shall try to take this further.