St Antholin Spire / Heritage of London Trust

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Tim Lund

St Antholin Spire / Heritage of London Trust

Post by Tim Lund »

Apologies if this has been posted here already - I'm not as frequent a poster here as I used to be

I saw this in the latest London Topographical Society Newsletter - an organisation I would recommend to anyone. Membership details here

https://londontopsoc.org/membership/sub ... formation/

Nothing on line that I could find on the site for the Heritage of London Trust,

https://heritageoflondon.org/

hence the images posted here
milton

Re: St Antholin Spire / Heritage of London Trust

Post by milton »

I knew the spire when it was in the grounds of the social club, and the social club was an odd place set in almost derelict grounds, as if it was hiding away. The spire was removed from its original place in the bottom corner of the grounds near to Round Hill to where it is now. It was surrounded by a forest of well established Japanese knotweed.

Round Hill was a queer little runt of a road, just surfaced with loose flints.I also have a fond memory of the house that stood on the corner with Radlett avenue, now replaced by some executive pastiche with iron gates. Glad I don't live there anymore.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

We have lived happily for nearly forty years almost next door to the 'executive pastiche' and got to know the nice old lady who lived there for many years - she has now died . Our theory has always been that it was originally built as a country retreat by a retired Peckham gangster. As such , we feel it adds a bit of interest and colour to the street.

This is a quiet, peaceful and friendly neighbourhood, and, unlike Milton, we wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
Robin Orton

Post by Robin Orton »

Went to the formal unveiling of the restored spire this morning. Very impressive, particularly the gilded bit at the top. It was good to see the children from Holy Trinity school there, being taught about their local heritage (although I wondered whether our child-friendly dog, also in attendance, attracted at least as much attention as the spire!) Thanks to all concerned.