Parish Maps of London

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Tim Lund

Parish Maps of London

Post by Tim Lund »

Time again to thank the London Topographical Society for yet another amazing value annual publication - this time a collection of parish maps, from 17th century to 1900.

Naturally I went first to the maps of Sydenham - you see more detail with a magnifying glass. This is from 1825, just six years after the opening of the Croydon Canal, with its large reservoir where Whittel l Gardens and Sydenham Park Road are now

Membership of the London Topographical Society is just £20 a year, for which you get newsletters, a copy of its annual publications, and in non COVID years, an invite to its AGM, always held at some interesting but generally not open to the public venue. The productions standards of the books is very high, and even if you don't like to lose yourself for a hour or so looking at how London was then, you still have about the most stylish coffee table books you could wish for.

Here's where to join

https://londontopsoc.org/
mikej

Re: Parish Maps of London

Post by mikej »

Looks very interesting, Tim. Does it cover the whole of Greater London, or just the old LCC? How many maps of Sydenham are there?
Tim Lund

Post by Tim Lund »

mikej wrote: 12 Sep 2020 16:41 Looks very interesting, Tim. Does it cover the whole of Greater London, or just the old LCC? How many maps of Sydenham are there?
This publication, just the old LCC, but otherwise London in general
RJM

Post by RJM »

As a former London local archivist, this looks brilliant! I will have to see if I can get myself a copy (because I'm geeky like that). Thank you :D