Panmure Road

The History of Sydenham from Cippenham to present day. Links to photos especially welcome!
Fiona_G

Panmure Road

Post by Fiona_G »

Hello everyone. I moved into one of the flats in the big building at the top of the hill on Panmure Road (55). The building is huge, and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about its history; when it was built, was it once a single house, who lived here, and so on. I've searched for info on this forum and elsewhere, but most links to Panmure are - understandably - to do with the bomb. Fingers crossed! Thanks
milton

Re: Panmure Road

Post by milton »

I have sent you a PM Fiona.
RJM

Post by RJM »

Have a look at https://www.layersoflondon.org/ - you can layer old maps over the current one, and it includes the bomb damage maps and the post-war RAF aerial photos of London. The aerial photos are incredible for the road as it shows the bomb damage really clearly. The older maps (1890s) also show the names of some of the big houses.

If you look at this site, it has old directories which tell you who lived in the named houses: http://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digi ... 597/rec/21 The link should take you to the page with Panmure Road details from the 1890s if I've done it right! I could probably find out more about the residents if you'd like, let me know.
Fiona_G

Post by Fiona_G »

Wow, thank you! I haven't seen either of these website before. I'll take a look this evening!
Richard Morris

Post by Richard Morris »

I don't know anything about the history of the house, but my father's family lived in part of it in the 1930s and 40s. They lived in the top quarter of the house at the far end from Panmure Road itself. It was clearly a very poor conversion effort because the entry to their part of the house was via a wrought iron staircase to half way up the wall. My grandmother continued to live there until the early 1960s.
Fiona_G

Post by Fiona_G »

Ha! Well, you'll be pleased to know that the wrought iron staircase is no longer present!